What's new

Suzuki_Bison

Student
Reaction score
My CPS2 Street FIghter 2X board (or Super Turbo) was on for about 20 minutes or so. Zangief stage, I'm just playing against the CPU. Screen goes black mid-match, audio continues to play. Game loading menu (Street Fighter 2X, Made in Japan, etc...") loads while the Zangief stage audio is still running. Finally once the game reached the loading screen animation (with Ryu throwing Hado), the audio reset as well. Really strange.

Additionally, coin counter was also reset from 7 to 0. I'm running my board on a supergun, and I've seen some weird glitches but never anything like this. Is something on my board going bad?

I've had brief fan issues in the past, but the fan was going strong while this was happening (at least it sure sounded like it, as I could hear it running). Additionally, the battery was replaced just a year ago (which I'm sure isn't the issue, but I'm mentioning that anyway). Anyone seen anything like this before?

How is the 5v set?
Could be the cause if it is too low

How is the 5v set?
Could be the cause if it is too low
You'll have to excuse me as I'm kinda new to the more technical side of the hobby. I do have a multimeter and I've tested voltages before, if that's what you mean? I've run this board on my supergun for almost three years pretty consistently and never had any issues, at least not like this. At one point I did test the voltage in the supergun and the readings seemed relatively normal. Can they randomly drop over time?

Also if any mods need me to move this to the CPS2 section I can do that- I wasn't sure if that was more for darksoft issues.

Yes, I mean the 5v at the Jamma edge, so test it with the multimeter while the board is running.
Simple check which can solve many problems :)

Which PSU and Supergun are you using?

Lol that’s just silly. I wonder if that’s only certain rom sets that do that.

This looks like a memory access error, check the board for any problems around the memory region.

This looks like a memory access error, check the board for any problems around the memory region.
How do you do that?
Repairing boards like that over the years helps, I guess. ;)

This is Street Fighter Alpha..., nah, that's something else. This is a PS2 memory card:
mc1mg9.jpg

The pins marked in green are data lines, the ones in red are power. While turned on, if you jump on of the data lines, the controller will see that is something wrong with the memory and guess what the controller will do? RESET IT.

By the way, this is how we reset and format a memory card with corrupt saves on it, place the MC on the slot, turn the PS2 on, before accessing the MC's in the PS2 interface, connect two or more of the green pins together and while you are holding it, access the memory card interface, the PS2 will ask if you want to format the MC.

Handycam's also does something like this when there are something wrong with some area in the memory, you set the time and date, when you press OK to confirm everything resets back to default, the exact same happens with some 10+ years old car head units (car audio), you want to save a FM station, you set it and after your recycle the power the device didn't register the information and resets to default.

In your case, it could be an electrolyte capacitor that physically leaks electrolyte around the memory region, then oxidation and corrosion will follow, cutting connections or put them in a short circuit condition. You'll have to inspect your board and pay a close attention to the memory area or the area that controls the memory.

Back