What's new

gobblebit

Beginner
Reaction score
Resolved: Turned out the voltage was too low to the board (only when speakers were being driven!)

Not exactly a multi-cart issue, but I finally got my multi-region BIOS setup and working, but I'm experiencing a problem with Radiant Silvergun. Basically right when the player spawns at the beginning of the game it'll freeze (but continue to play the music). If I go back to the original BIOS chip everything is fine again (albeit it the crappy non-Japanese rules for the game).

Anyone experience this before?

Does it freeze set at a specific region? Or at all regions?

Turned out to be a voltage issue to the motherboard. I'm guessing it crashed at the start because a bunch of polygons were suddenly on screen which probably taxed the power just enough to cause it to crap out.

Turned out to be a voltage issue to the motherboard. I'm guessing it crashed at the start because a bunch of polygons were suddenly on screen which probably taxed the power just enough to cause it to crap out.
Ok very good!

But why delete your initial post? Could be good info for others that run into the same?
I was trying to delete the thread and messed up. :) I feel like the forum software should make the "Beginner" under my name flash or something in shame.

For posterity: My issue was that Radiant Silvergun would freeze when the first ship appeared on screen, but would still play music. I thought my multi-region BIOS was causing this behavior (as it was new), but I failed to account for the fact that I had also wired up a speaker to the JAMMA harness. This caused the motherboard to receive too little power from the power supply (which obviously needs some calibration) and resulted in a freeze.

Fixed by unplugging the speakers, but ultimately I'll adjust the power output when I get a multi-meter so I can see what it's putting out at +5V.

Back