What's new
Well, this certainly looks like the chip!

But if you’re looking at someone else’s board and it has no cpu, then someone pulled it for a reason. And maybe other chips. It’s a “parts board” in someone’s mind — unrepairable to them, so they harvested the good chip(s).

So that means you’re looking at a board that needs a new cpu at a minimum, and it’s extremely likely something else is also broken too. Worth it only if the board is very very cheap.

cause i wanna not waste money on buying this and getting the board.
I’m guessing that if cost is an issue for you, the board is overpriced and you should not gamble. missing the cpu it’s worth $25 tops in my eyes.

I’ve gambled (and won!) on “not working” or “untested” KI boards at $100+ but only when I see signs that the hard drive has failed, or it’s a rom issue, but never when chips are missing.

ok cause i seen a board for around 195 but imma see if i can talk it down a bit replace this chip and see if it boots. if so, then all i need is the CF replacement for the HDD and hope all goes well. Thank you @ekorz and everyone else.

ok cause i seen a board for around 195 but imma see if i can talk it down a bit replace this chip and see if it boots. if so, then all i need is the CF replacement for the HDD and hope all goes well.
Well keep us posted. But if you manage to actually solder a cpu on it correctly my guess is it still won't boot, and there are other issues. Otherwise I recommend using a DOM not a CF, they're much nicer in my opinion: KI2 DOM (Killer Instinct 2 Disc on Module)

TL:DR; Please use a fan when running these PCBs gentlemen.

From what I understand about why this chip fails from all the forum posts on the interwebs;

The CPU chip runs HOT! Original instructions always show a fan blowing on the board. This is how I run my KI1.
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 1.05.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 1.06.26 PM.png

I run this with the HAS supergun and I use this Muji fan running off of a USB battery bank: https://www.muji.us/store/4549738967347.html

Super special public thanks to @ekorz for helping me with my DOM setup. Runs like a champ now.

Plus here's something to think about. The prototype of KI had basically the exact same board (used SIMMs instead of the soldered ram though) and that board had a heatsink/fan built in.

Please use a fan when running these PCBs gentlemen.
thank you for posting this! I wish I could like this post twice.

For some stupid reason I see lots of people online claiming that the fan is for the HDD and if you've replaced it it's not needed.

I mean HDDs run hot but not that HOT, the fan is clearly there for the CPU with the giant heat-sync.

I put fans on all my KI cpus too. I think I got some from @CoolFox actually! Wired them up into 12v iirc and have had no problems.

Plus here's something to think about. The prototype of KI had basically the exact same board (used SIMMs instead of the soldered ram though) and that board had a heatsink/fan built in.
Got any pictures of this?! I would love to see how they did a heatsink/fan combo.

I put fans on all my KI cpus too. I think I got some from @CoolFox actually! Wired them up into 12v iirc and have had no problems.
Can we see pix of these mods?! Would love to see where you tapped the 12V from. I was thinking of doing the same but only going 5V.

@yuro 5v is also fine it’s just easier to find 12v fans that fit. Here’s where I hooked them up. Just tone the jamma edge and find a suitable connection though, I don’t think there’s anything special to it

https://imgur.com/a/qMRQZi1

lus here's something to think about. The prototype of KI had basically the exact same board (used SIMMs instead of the soldered ram though) and that board had a heatsink/fan built in.
Got any pictures of this?! I would love to see how they did a heatsink/fan combo.
I don't, but if I remember correctly they had a header for the fan power near the CPU itself, so the board was a little different.

My CPU's arrived today too. Ordered them 3 days ago on Monday. Woot!

It's a Mips Processor, there's nothing to program. But make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to solder it down.

Ooooooo I think I'll grab a couple of those...

Thanks for the heads up @CoolFox

A heads up for those attempting this. These boards are level over 9000 for soldering to. They have a massive ground plane under the CPU and sap heat like nothing else.

You need good soldering equipment with excellent thermal recovery and lots of quality flux or you will end up with.... A mess....

It looks like they are sold out now. I just got an email saying their supplier ran out.

Still showing 150000+ in stock and giving me the ability to order here. That sucks :(

Back