What's new
I tried to order a cpu to replace my dead one and they are now out of stock
Of course my order was placed and paid before they tell me this
Anyone have 1 they could part with to help me get mine back up and running
Please let me know

Same if anyone is willing to sell a processor to me for me to get it working that be fantastic

I got the same message last week.

if anyone has an extra chip please let me know
i have tried everywhere and nothing

I also could use two of these to any members that snagged any extra.

A heads up for those attempting this. These boards are level over 9000 for soldering to. They have a massive ground plane under the CPU and sap heat like nothing else.
You need good soldering equipment with excellent thermal recovery and lots of quality flux or you will end up with.... A mess....
A Hakko FX-888 worthy for the job? The packaged tip ok? Or should I use another one? ChipQuick to remove the existing chip recommended?

Curie point iron would be better, a lot better.

A heads up for those attempting this. These boards are level over 9000 for soldering to. They have a massive ground plane under the CPU and sap heat like nothing else.
You need good soldering equipment with excellent thermal recovery and lots of quality flux or you will end up with.... A mess....
A Hakko FX-888 worthy for the job? The packaged tip ok? Or should I use another one? ChipQuick to remove the existing chip recommended?
You'll want a bevel/knife tip for this, packaged tip is a pencil from memory
Curie point iron would be better, a lot better.
Yes but even with that I struggled

You need a LOT of GOOD flux for this job. You need to do it slowly and it will probably still end up a mess unless you're using very high end equipment. I haven't successfully transplanted one yet but I have managed reflows.

I seem to be a year late to the cpu replacement party.. :( Are any of these still available from a reliable source? One of the links say a cpu is ~$500 USD !! wow
I have a KI1 board with the usual shifted cpu pins. I tried to fix it and broke off a pin or 2.. or 3. I was able to solder them back somewhat but I don't trust it. Would rather just get a new cpu. Thanks everyone!

If your reflow skills managed to break off legs then I suggest you dont try to replace the cpu. The pads on ki boards are very easy to lift especially the ones that arent used.

I have a few CPU's but not sure if I want to sell them yet.

Hi Monstermug,

The board I purchased had the pins bent/shifted, this was many years ago, was missing the (I think) clock crystal, and not working. I got it to work by bending the pins back with a dental pick and accidentally applied too much force on one or two of them. I had to use a dremel to cut through the metal top layer praying that I could solder to the chip and pads. Miraculously, it worked, but it is unstable sometimes restarting randomly. Anyway, the pins are very very tiny and I don't know if I could successfully use the quik chip to get it off without lifting any pads.

If you ever want to part with one of the chips... please pm me. Thanks!

Back