What's new

mugen_ketsueki

Professional
Reaction score
I am looking for the information on where i could possibly buy a replacement for the CPU for the Killer Instinct PCB.
I seen a few boards online without them on the board and was wondering where to buy one so i may attempt to bring this board into working order.
If anyone can point me into the right direction of what to use or where to buy one that be great.

like most things related to arcade boards, it's been out of production for about 20 years... the only place you're going to find a replacement is either used from China/stolen off another board, or some obscure parts vendor who happens to sill have one and wants to charge a premium for it.

There's a reason you see them missing from PCBs on eBay, because they were likely stolen to revive another board.

That price is insane! Wow...I’m better off waiting then cause people selling the KI boards on eBay for too much.

KI prices are bonkers, I'd love to have a KI1 but I can't justify the price these boards are going for these days.

they've always been expensive boards for some reason, even back in the early 2000s when I was able to get an MK3 for $40 KI boards were $250+

I eventually snagged a KI2 for a restore I was doing for $350 I think, in 2013. I had a chance to buy a KI1 for the same price then but passed. Wish I didn't because look at what they're going for now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2235477815...99&_trkparms=gh1g=I223547781583.N36.S1.R1.TR4

Yep. Dedicated KI2 pcb had the new controller installed on the motherboard and therefore you couldn't convert a KI2 pcb down to KI1 but a KI1 pcb can be upgraded to KI2.

Didn't KI2 come in two flavors.
They sold Dedicated Cabs with Dedicated PCBs, they sold "Kits" with Dedicated PCBs for upgrading games like SF2 and they sold cheaper "Kits" for upgrading KI1 cabs that basically just included new ROMs a new HDD and an IDE Pass through PCB that bypassed the original IDE controller for one on the passthrough.

AFAIK KI1 and KI2 PCBs are the same, it's just the IDE controller IC is different and because it's a surface mount device it's not exactly something they could have had Ops swap out, hence the "upgrade" board.

Similarly you can't downgrade without sacking a KI1 PCB for that chip.

Ahh k. So the difference is just the HDD controller. I have the upgrade HDD adapters so I am good if I ever need to go to KI2.

Welp, I bought 3 of those CPU's in case my KI1 boards go belly up. Will put them in static bags and a cool place when they get here. Got in before the flood/price gouging (I hope). Thanks @CoolFox.

I got a page not found, is it sold out already?

Cause if this is something I can use I will buy it. But has anyone bought this cpu and fixed a KI board? Cause I would really appreciate everyone if I can obtain one.

Back