What's new

nonosto

Champion
Reaction score
Hello World

For my second cab, european N'styl newgame 25 inch hantarex, I will use a PC with emulator. Dedicaced for shmup only, so screen in vertical position. What's PC for run all shmup (recent cave included) for the best gaming? 15 khz without speed reduction and the lower input lag as possible? What's emu for this?

THX

NB: I have a Saturn2 JAMMA what's the best betwen arcade and Saturn shmup port, For hyperduel is esay but batsugun or battle garrega wh'at's the best saturn port or arcade?

For Cave shmups, you should use this setup, but only with official Cave cardboard.

box-puter-rear.jpg

I have the following as my yoko and tate cabs for PC emulation

Dell Optiplex and Lenovo ThinkCentre i5's with 8gb of ram and HP AMD Radeon R7 430 gfx.

This setup with a JPAC, groovymame/demul and CRT Emudriver pretty much handles everything I've thrown at it (up to DC).

Shmup wise, it'll handle anything including SH3 Cave shmups, the problem is, it's too fast and doesn't have the "slowdown" that the original hardware has - this is a limitation on the emulation and not the hardware.

For me, I'm far from a hardcore shmuper so I'm none the wise.. I just see lots of bullets and credit feed, for me it's just about having fun with it :)

No slowdown on Cave shooters is like playing Daytona 500 without the brake pedal tho ;)

Shmup wise, it'll handle anything including SH3 Cave shmups, the problem is, it's too fast and doesn't have the "slowdown" that the original hardware has - this is a limitation on the emulation and not the hardware.
Activate the blitter delay for that, it's better but not perfect

There is an active project to port SNES games like Gradius III which have slowdowns to use SA-1 chip so the games run full speed with no slowdowns.

While its technically very impressive not sure if that was the intention of the gods; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJyQiL9wYg

IMO the way the games were developed and released to the public are the way to play the games. It’s not up to faux internetz historians to devise “better” ways. That Gradius thing is laughable to say the least. I’m guessing it’s ported to the MiSTER and everyone is praising it as the best things since sliced cheese.

Anyone who is passionate about Cave shooters will understand a big part of the game is the slowdown. I’m actually not sure the people who clammer to play the games emulated actually play or understand them properly. I think it’s more “it’s expensive and raer, I must play it and prove the people who have the boards that I can do it too”.

I always hear the same rhetoric about how the boards are expensive and they’ll be fine with (insert emulator of choice). Fair call, but yeah, I’m strictly PCB or Xbox 360 (plus anything M2 release) for their library.

I highly recommend anyone interested in playing Cave games just get a RGH 360 and play ‘em all.

Some people have the love for cave SHMUPS and the money to buy the PCBs and good for them, they should be happy. No one should tell you how to spend your hard earned money.

I used to have one cave PCB and I could not tell the difference between the real and the GroovyMame version. I am not a SHMUPS lover so I go with the "I just want to play Jerry". Fighting games is what I like the most (cps2) so I understand the need to play the real thing concept and I can tell the difference between GroovyMame and the real thing on those cps2 games but thanks me lucky charms that fighting games are cheap. Only a few fighting boards (KI-1&2) are out of my price range.. Going back to Cave, I did purchase all the Xbox 360 games because I could justify the price on those. I do wander when people will be priced out of the cave

MiSTer is getting the ESP Ra De / DDP port maybe by end of the year, would be interesting to see if it can be as accurate as the OG hardware. I know a lot people are skeptical about MiSTer which is understandable and that platform needs to prove itself - however if we can get even an xbox 360 level of fidelity it would be good :)

There are people who have managed to 1'cc Gradius III (SA-1) without the slowdowns (I cant manage to do it even with slowdowns) so I fail to see why its a big deal for average gamers, for devs its amazing because that means they are getting closer to understanding the special chips - maybe will be useful for future development I dont know.
The narrative going round that is justifying the port to SA1 is that the original Konami devs did the SNES port in a hurry and using the SA-1 chip would have been obvious if they had time and SA1 chips were available and what not. The story is more important :P . And also devs will be devs, they will keep trying to "improve" things heh.

MiSTer is getting the ESP Ra De / DDP port maybe by end of the year, would be interesting to see if it can be as accurate as the OG hardware. I know a lot people are skeptical about MiSTer which is understandable and that platform needs to prove itself - however if we can get even an xbox 360 level of fidelity it would be good :)

There are people who have managed to 1'cc Gradius III (SA-1) without the slowdowns (I cant manage to do it even with slowdowns) so I fail to see why its a big deal for average gamers, for devs its amazing because that means they are getting closer to understanding the special chips - maybe will be useful for future development I dont know.
The narrative going round that is justifying the port to SA1 is that the original Konami devs did the SNES port in a hurry and using the SA-1 chip would have been obvious if they had time and SA1 chips were available and what not. The story is more important :P . And also devs will be devs, they will keep trying to "improve" things heh.
Holy smokes!!!!!! :D

When connecting via J-PAC, do you need to enable composite sync in VMMaker?

EDIT - Looks like I found the answer, the JPAC converts it automatically, thats cool.
  • Converts VGA horizontal/vertical sync to composite sync
https://www.ultimarc.com/jpac2.html

Last edited:
Back