MegaSD - FPGA SegaCD in a cart

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think I've only ever owned 4 Sega CD games: Sonic CD, Lunar 1 & 2 and Robo Aleste. Looks like I can get $100 for Robo Aleste on ebay, now :D
      -ud
      Darksoft Multi: CPS2/3, F3, ST-V, NEO ║ Cab: Namco Exceleena 1
      Scan Converter: Micomsoft XRGB2+, Silicon Optix ImageAnyplace
      Monitor: Amiga 1080, BenQ RL2460, Pioneer KRP-500M
    • I was a big Sega CD fanboy back in the day. I echo Mitsu in saying that if you look past the FMV titles, there's a lot of great, unique titles. Also, the Sega CD had several "definitive" versions of Genesis games with Redbook audio, extra levels, more animation, etc.

A few non-FMV, Sega CD titles worth checking out:

Sonic CD
      Soul Star
      Silpheed
      Lunar The Silver Star
      Lunar Eternal Blue
      Popful Mail
      Shining Force CD
      Robo Aleste
      Snatcher
      Dark Wizard
      Heart of the Alien
      Keio Flying Squadron
      Annet Futatabi
      AH-1 Thunderstrike
      Android Assault

Ports worth checking out:

Earthworm Jim Special Edition
      Batman Returns
      Demolition Man
      Flashback
      Final Fight CD
      Lords of Thunder
      Mickey Mania
      Eternal Champions
      Spiderman Vs The Kingpin
      Ecco The Dolphin
    • eh... would be neat for the Nomad or Genesis 3 but personally I'll stick to playing my backup discs until a real ODE comes out.

even if it is FPGA The whole point of owning the original hardware is that you're not emulating the original hardware
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

The whole point of owning the original hardware is that you're not emulating the original hardware
      Imma stick this thing in my MegaSg and call it a day!
      multis: cps* ttx2 gnet f3 mvs sega st-v/16b/24/c2/naomi(netboot) sys2x6 m72
      cabs: sega blast city x2 | taito vewlix c + egret ii
      links: klov/vaps games list | custom fight sticks
      projects: some conversions, some repairs

The post was edited 1 time, last by ekorz ().

• Interesting - but not for $300 USD. At least - as I have two working Sega CD's right now... :)
      Arcade MultiSystems:

Sega: ST-V (Darksoft), Naomi 2 w/Net Dimm,Capcom CPS2 (Darksoft) , Capcom CPS3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo MV-1B (Darksoft), Sega C2 (Apocalypse), Taito F3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo AES (Darksoft), M72 Multi (Apocalypse)
      VAPS Profile arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=481863
    • ekorz wrote:

twistedsymphony wrote:

The whole point of owning the original hardware is that you're not emulating the original hardware
      What about 32x? :D
      -ud
      Darksoft Multi: CPS2/3, F3, ST-V, NEO ║ Cab: Namco Exceleena 1
      Scan Converter: Micomsoft XRGB2+, Silicon Optix ImageAnyplace
      Monitor: Amiga 1080, BenQ RL2460, Pioneer KRP-500M
    • mathewbeall wrote:

I have two working Sega CD's right now
      I've only got the one model 2 unit, but I replaced its laser with a brand new JVC Optima 6s in 2015.
      With how limited my use is, I'd say it will last well into the future.

Just to echo, some of my favorite releases on SegaCD...

Sonic CD
      Silpheed
      Time Gal (I have a soft spot for some FMV games, this is one of them)
      Night Trap (this is goofy as hell and a must play if you never have)
      Final Fight CD (this was the best home port of Final Fight)
      Lunar the Silver Star
      Snatcher (its better on PC Engine, but this one is in english)
      Earthworm Jim SE (best version of the game)
      Mortal Kombat (this was the best home port of MK1)
      Rise of the Dragon (like a Snatcher wanabe)
      Lethal Enforcers CD (this was the best home port of Lethal Enforcers)
      Road Rash CD (basically the best 16-bit version of Road Rash)
      Road Avenger (FMV game, yup this is the other one)
      Afterburner 3 (AF is better on 32x, but this version was the best for its time)
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 2 times, last by jassin000 ().

• I don't think the price is unreasonable given its a full replacement for the Sega CD hardware...
      But that's also kinda my issue with it, I don't want a full replacement, I just wana load BIN/CUE from a SD card with a real Sega CD mainboard/68k CPU.
    • Wonder how much a full setup will run ya... Aka MegaSD cart with MegaSD Expansion Attachment (so you can play 32x enhanced SegaCD games).
    • undamned wrote:

ekorz wrote:

What about 32x? :D -ud
      I’m a Sega casual; can’t you tell from the statement above! much like the SegaCD I’ve never touched the 32x. Actually didn’t even own a genesis back in the day. Game Gear was it. So for 32x I don’t know what I’m missing! If they release a pro or whatever and it does 32x also, well I’ll sell this and upgrade (if those games are worth it)
      multis: cps* ttx2 gnet f3 mvs sega st-v/16b/24/c2/naomi(netboot) sys2x6 m72
      cabs: sega blast city x2 | taito vewlix c + egret ii
      links: klov/vaps games list | custom fight sticks
      projects: some conversions, some repairs
    • Pretty unreasonable price given its a FPGA based emulator imo. It was odd that they were shitting on MiSTer on their discord for costing around $300 for full setup with open source FPGA cores for free (most MiSTer console cores will be at par with the Analogue emulations soon if not already) and then using the same open source 68K core that MiSTer uses for its Genesis core, fixing a minor bug and making a huge deal out of it, and releasing just another FPGA emulator. :/
      DS multi addict.

The post was edited 7 times, last by suverman ().

• For someone not owning a Sega CD though, it's not so poorly priced. SCD aren't cheap nowadays.

I was tempted for a bit, but actually remembered this morning I have a Wondermega that's spent the last year at a friend's house awaiting an RGB mod... So I'm good. Burned CDs will work just fine.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • Man, this summer is going to be rough on time.

I'm probably going to hold off on this for a little while. Part of the reason is I don't want to be an early adopter again for another TO product. My SSDS3 is perfect now that it's been upgraded/fixed, but it was really annoying to jump in early and be a guinea pig only to find out it had Video and Audio issues. I'm going to wait and see if there are any initial run problems with this...but when I do pick it up, I'll most likely go with a Genesis 3, triple-bypass mod it, and run the MegaSD off it.

Besides, right now I've got too many games and projects taking up my time lately.

Soon I'll be getting my GBAConsolizer, which has an intense install. I really am looking forward to replaying the awesome Castlevania's and Metroids on that console again, but on a big TV without my janky Gamecube GBA Player setup.

Then BennVenn is working on a backlight kit for the NGPC, and I'm down to 200 in the NeoGeo Pocket SD queue, so I'll hopefully be able to bite into that soon. BennVenn's backlight kit is supposed to be a fairly simple install, so that's good.

I am building a conversion cart of Gradius III SA-1, but that's a small project.

I've got 2 arcade monitors on the bench for servicing, a K7000 and a G07. Both worked, but needed new caps and a new width coil. I just need to finalize that work and test that everything is ok.

I still haven't hooked up my awesome blue painted Naomi with Netboot yet. I've got all the parts for the set-up sitting in a box, it's just been prioritized lower than other projects.

On top of replaying Seikan Densetsu 3 (Trails of Mana) on the Mana Collection, my copy of Bloodstained is being shipped to me right now, and the new Samurai Shodown comes out on the day I'll probably get my Bloodstained. So my gaming time is going to be like having A.D.D., juggling between multiple games.

<sigh> There just isn't enough time in the day.