MegaSD - FPGA SegaCD in a cart

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • beast1x5 wrote:

      suverman wrote:

      Sabin wrote:

      Lol you guys are real quick to shit on Retrorgb just because he praised terraonion mega sd and call him a sellout and all that and say he’s only doing it for the YouTube monetization. I don’t like terraonion either AT ALL but you guys are being ridiculous with the accusations in the last page or so.

      He is one of the good guys
      He lost his objectivity when he said NeosD Pro with NGCD support makes it the "cart of his choice" without testing or reviewing it. He just parroted what Alex mentioned on the reveal video and added a bit of "his opinions" and that he was ok with mono audio when NGCD can do stereo (ad NeoSD Pro cannot).Any newbie watching that wouldn't know of the alternatives. That video was def a good example how he was influencing people to buy TO. He is definitely a good guy but he needs to be judged based on his current actions.
      did you forget the neo geo MVS hardware CAN'T output stereo though? AES might... but i don't own the neoSD pro
      That is not important, it was just something he spent talking for 50% of the 5 minutes infomercial he posted. Objectively he should have waited, tested it and come out with an objective conclusion. But that might not be good for TO since they want advertisement so they can sell Neo SD V1 and so he had to scramble and put "his thoughts' out.
      DS multi addict.
    • so placing a firmware update to show off the new features and making a video about it for his channel isn't a good idea? Also.. it is kinda important to know MVS & AES don't output stereo so the buyer of the neo SD will be informed if they decide to use the neo geo CD games on it.
    • anywho at this point it just seems like people are attacking bob for his alleged turnaround on terra onion just to attack him. Maybe TO did a legit turnaround and they have new staff.. idfk but they apologized for their nonsense to me.. I'm considering buying the MegaSD just because of what it provides as a whole.
    • I dont think the Stereo / Mono is an issue here. I just felt he is leading people on given the following points:
      1. Terraonion's history with subpar product quality at launch.
      2. Bob's own experience and earlier warning people to stay away from TO.
      3. Silently removing those warning from his blog now.
      4. Declaring NeoSD Pro cart of his choice even before he tested the feature.

      beast1x5 wrote:

      anywho at this point it just seems like people are attacking bob for his alleged turnaround on terra onion just to attack him. Maybe TO did a legit turnaround and they have new staff.. idfk but they apologized for their nonsense to me.. I'm considering buying the MegaSD just because of what it provides as a whole.
      Then Bob should have come out and told is viewers why he has changed is mind and now trusts TO, instead of silently removing his posts where he told people not to buy from TO direct. I am pretty sure TO moving the company's registration to Andorra to make it harder for customers to sue them (and then gloriously discussing that move in the Discord) just 1 week before the MegaSG is not one of the point.
      DS multi addict.

      The post was edited 5 times, last by suverman ().

    • MVS hardware can most definitely output Stereo though. MVS-1F / 1FS boards are Jamma with stereo output.
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

      The post was edited 1 time, last by djsheep ().

    • beast1x5 wrote:

      requires effort of course... but nowadays everyone wants to be a plug n play fraud
      No? It's literally stereo "plug n play" if you're using any of the MVS wired units, and some of the JAMMA ones have a separate audio out via a headphone connector.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • beast1x5 wrote:

      okay... but are we forgetting the part when i mentioned TO potentially grew up? people can change... ish happens, ppl grow up etc...
      Just because people grow up, it doesn’t justify or negate and remove the fact that in the past they were complete and utter dicks to their customers.

      Backtracking Bobby was quick to point this out about TO not that long ago, on numerous occasions, to get brownie points from his brown nosers, but it seems all the evidence of that has been scrubbed from his site and videos...

      It’s comforting to know the modding/arcade community is active and passionate enough to see these things for what they are. At least not everyone is a brainwashed yes man.

      Also, let’s also not forget that Terraonion said some pretty shitty things towards the Darksoft and his products. And this *IS* the Darksoft site after all. No need to start a war or reignite flames, I’m just sayin...
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

    • djsheep wrote:

      beast1x5 wrote:

      okay... but are we forgetting the part when i mentioned TO potentially grew up? people can change... ish happens, ppl grow up etc...
      Just because people grow up, it doesn’t justify or negate and remove the fact that in the past they were complete and utter dicks to their customers.
      Backtracking Bobby was quick to point this out about TO not that long ago, on numerous occasions, to get brownie points from his brown nosers, but it seems all the evidence of that has been scrubbed from his site and videos...

      It’s comforting to know the modding/arcade community is active and passionate enough to see these things for what they are. At least not everyone is a brainwashed yes man.

      Also, let’s also not forget that Terraonion said some pretty shitty things towards the Darksoft and his products. And this *IS* the Darksoft site after all. No need to start a war or reignite flames, I’m just sayin...
      well yeah as i mentioned earlier one of the TO guys took my video feed and made it look like crap to attempt to get his point across.. which is fine.. but i totally understand bob is probably just trying to keep it professional now despite the past time issues

      Side note thank you and @rewrite for the heads up on the MVS units... Looks like i need to hunt down an MV-1F for stereo for a future head to head setup
    • suverman wrote:

      Sabin wrote:

      Lol you guys are real quick to shit on Retrorgb just because he praised terraonion mega sd and call him a sellout and all that and say he’s only doing it for the YouTube monetization. I don’t like terraonion either AT ALL but you guys are being ridiculous with the accusations in the last page or so.

      He is one of the good guys
      He lost his objectivity when he said NeosD Pro with NGCD support makes it the "cart of his choice" without testing or reviewing it. . He just parroted what Alex mentioned on the reveal video and added a bit of "his opinions" and that he was ok with mono audio when NGCD can do stereo (and NeoSD Pro cannot). This was just an infomercial.
      Any newbie watching that wouldn't know of the alternatives. That video was def a good example how he was influencing people to buy TO. He is definitely a good guy but he needs to be judged based on his current actions.
      Except in the first 10 seconds of the video, he mentioned how he had just did a neogeo flashcart video covering multiple rom carts? And at the end of the video he links to the original Neogeo video talking about all 3?
      ? But you say newbies would have NO IDEA?

      And why wouldn't you expect Bob to make a video about new developments? I'm sure with Darksoft he would do the same thing as well, as theres always something new and exciting in retrogaming scene especially for arcade.

      Just accept the fact that you don't like that he covered TO's product. Unfortunately these arguments are starting to sound like the NG forums a place which I know we all do not want to be like.
    • Sabin wrote:

      Just accept the fact that you don't like that he covered TO's product. Unfortunately these arguments are starting to sound like the NG forums a place which I know we all do not want to be like.
      For me that's not true, he can cover whatever he likes.

      I was in the wrong of holding him up to higher standards (as earlier)where he would actually test a product before calling it the "Neogeo multi cart of his choice" - something any newbie with disposable cash would hear and go buy the NeoSD Pro. My bad. I guess him breaking a PS Mini with a hammer video one week back is more the flavour he is going for this season.
      DS multi addict.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by suverman ().

    • suverman wrote:

      Sabin wrote:

      Just accept the fact that you don't like that he covered TO's product. Unfortunately these arguments are starting to sound like the NG forums a place which I know we all do not want to be like.
      For me that's not true, he can cover whatever he likes.
      I was in the wrong of holding him up to higher standards (as earlier)where he would actually test a product before calling it the "Neogeo multi cart of his choice" - something anyone would hear and go buy the NeoSD Pro. My bad. I guess him breaking a PS Mini with a hammer video 1 week back is more the flavour he is going for this season.
      that wasn't a PS-Mini... that was an actual PS1 after doing the whole sun bleaching ordeal from 2 weeks ago..
    • Alright. This thread is not about Bob. Get it back on track. And my rant above was not about Bob to be clear. It's about YouTubers in general. TO has straight up bought YouTubers. That is no secret. I don't personally think Bob was bought by TO. I think his videos are fair for the most part even if I don't agree with the opinion sometimes.
    • The YouTuber has to disclose that it’s a paid advertisement otherwise there’s a problem Mitsu. I agree with your point about arcade 1up. It’s known that they pay for advertisement. If TO hooks people up then yeah must be disclosed.

      If that’s the case I wouldn’t mind seeing darksoft and Mitsu implementing similar tactics, ya guys name is gold in a lot of gaming communities

      As a YouTuber myself I don’t think it’s a bad thing, you don’t have to accept the offer - I’m a YouTuber and had contact with arcade 1up myself and refused because I prefer real hardware. Doesn’t make them a bad person. With gaming videos people get demonetized all the time for any and all reasons so I understand people wanting to diversify their revenue streams. Just be honest about it

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Sabin ().

    • Oh if I was a company trying to sell a product I would absolutely use the same tactic. But then my job would be to sell as many units as possible, not worry about the reputation or integrity of the "influencer". It is up to the YouTuber. You just can't pretend to be impartial if you are accepting cash or items in exchange for a positive review.

      The difference is DS is a hobbyist. He isn't doing this as a major form of income. Alex relocated his entire family to a different country to avoid taxes on sales by their company. They are in it for money only. I make Youtube videos and so do many of our members so that does the job pretty well. We aren't trying to compete with an entire team of engineers very often. It makes no sense for us both to make the same type of product.
    • At the end of the day, we are getting choices, which is a good thing. I hope TO has success with this and hope that they have cleaned up their bullshit from the past in terms of customer support, product testing etc...I hope this will incentivize others to want to develop similar products for this hardware. I would love to get an ode for the mega/Sega cd units. I would also like to see a miniaturized 32x hardware that could potentially be installed internally on a genesis case, etc.

      I have met with Bob several times, I have not kept up with his videos of late, etc..but with me he has been a solid dude with solid info. He does not know it all, he admits when he is wrong and the man is always learning. He does a lot behind the scene to push ideas through for new products, etc... Now, I don’t know about how he handles his YouTube stuff, monetizing and all that. Obviously we all hate misinformation, fake reviews, and hype about products that are not deserved. I don’t know if he is guilty of such, I don’t believe he is. I just think he gets overly excited as we all do at the prospect of new products that promise to do certain things in our beloved retro gaming scene.

      Would I buy a megasd, probably not, like I said I still have perfectly working segacd units, 32x, Genesis, etc..I also have a mega Sg, and I’m fine with that also. If it works that this product does have some advantages that make it work the price tag, maybe, but at current price, I don’t think so. It it was maybe around the $150 mark or less I would think about getting one.