MegaSD - FPGA SegaCD in a cart

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jassin000 wrote:

Deunan once express a desire to look into it (SegaCD ODE). As we discussed via email exchange long ago... Some versions of the model 2 SegaCD use the same ribbon cable connector as the original Saturn (I have one). Making the Rhea actually physically compatible with the hardware. However an entire new firmware and other possible hardware changes would need to be made... And this was just to support ONE somewhat rare, later revision of the model 2 SegaCD only (all other models would be excluded).
      I prefer to have him finish the PCE CDROM ODE first :/
    • xtrasmiley wrote:

Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Does it work with X'eye?
      I won't work with anything that cannot disconnect the CDROM from it (as it won't work with both plugged in) so no X'eye, CDX, any all in one systems, etc.
      I wonder if any of these boot up like a normal Genesis if you pull the cable between the CD and main boards inside the console...
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • rewrite wrote:

xtrasmiley wrote:

Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Does it work with X'eye?
      I won't work with anything that cannot disconnect the CDROM from it (as it won't work with both plugged in) so no X'eye, CDX, any all in one systems, etc.
      I wonder if any of these boot up like a normal Genesis if you pull the cable between the CD and main boards inside the console...
      The X’Eye/Wondermega 2 will work as just a génesis with this method, I’ve tried it.
    • This thread is wild lol

All I really need to know is Mega SD will replace an ugly, bulky attachment to my Genesis which prevents me from fitting my setup into the same shelf space as all of my other consoles. Also removes a wall wart from my power strip and saves me the trouble of burning a ton of CDs for a temperamental piece of hardware that will likely fail soon anyways. Combine that with the knowledge that a lot of smart people worked on this project and that's enough for me. Looking forward to getting mine soon.

This is coming from someone who owns a Super SD3 before the recent A/V fixes were implemented. Yeah that was disappointing but that's the risk I took for effectively going "bleeding edge". I'm still happy with it for what it is and I have the capability to fix the issues so...whatever.

An ODE would be nice for both Sega CD and PCE CD. Would probably buy those if it ever happens. Unfortunately in summer 2019 those are either still pipe dreams or a long way off as far as we know. At least TO's console products actually exist, are already quality and I'll have it soon, or own it now in the case of Super SD3.

"RGB mafia"....good shit. :D Tho I'm pretty sure I'm capable of forming my own opinions with all the facts out there. Don't need Youtube or a website to do that exclusively for me. I'm confident a lot of others in this hobby are also grown adults with a similar mentality.
    • BroadwayJose wrote:

All I really need to know is Mega SD will replace an ugly, bulky attachment to my Genesis
      Clearly all you care about is replacing an ugly, bulky attachment to your Genesis... So for you, yea the MegaSD is basically perfect, go you.

For me, I don't understand the point of owning a original Genesis only to simulate the hardware of the Sega CD.
      We are not just talking about media storage here (the only part I want to replace).
      The Sega CD is a complex PCB with its own freak'n 68000 CPU (it assists with scaling in many games for example).

Even Bob pissed me off (and I happen to like that dude) when he said "now you can play these games on original hardware" because that's just NOT true.
      You have half the original hardware!

In an effort to escape the pitfalls of optical media (which we all know are many) you are willing to forgo original hardware.... So why own a Genesis console at all?
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 2 times, last by jassin000 ().

• yeah, now its same as mister ... people always says but its fpga ... yes, but this does not mean its 100% correct, it can be wors then emulation and still do something ...
      Video: Framemeister XRGB mini with XSync-1 and XCapture-1 │ Sony BVM-D20F1E
      DS: ST-V │CPS2 MultiKit │ CPS3 SuperBios
      MB: MV-1B │ CPS1 │ CPS2 │ CPS3 │ ST-V │ Naomi II │ G-Net │ TTX2
      SB: Street Fighter 1 (6 Button Edition)
      Superguns: MK30 Adcap │ Arcadeforge MAK Strike│ RGB's HAS
      Sticks: Madcatz TE2 │ 2x Capcom CPS │ 2x Neo Geo
    • idk, seems like people are reaching here just based on what some dude on Youtube says.

You guys are saying "It's not real hardware!" Clearly a quality FPGA solution is possible and really accurate, even if it's not technically 100% the same as the real deal. IMO the question people should be asking is why a company like Analogue didn't shoot for this in their products. They made a Sega Genesis but with no CD support or 32x. They haven't made a PC Engine at all yet but if they do and don't include CD support...what's the point? None of their current line even supports native analog video, only HDMI.

You can always say people may as well emulate or buy a mini console since that's the same thing. TO's products satisfies a different demand: play on your existing real hardware and emulate the parts that are rare to find, often prohibitively expensive and are prone to failure. Can make a case that their emulated replacements are actually better than the real thing (no additonal power consumption, better video options, no optical drive, less physical space). I don't understand how this is a bad thing. I already own a Genesis, just want a Sega CD that works well and isn't an eye sore or is ready to die at any point. Same thing re: PC Engine + CD. I have a TG16 with a CD attachment that doesn't work. Fuck that, I'm not getting some obscure parts to temporarily fix the optical drive or wait forever for an ODE that may or may not even materialize.

I get it: real hardware is wonderful and should be the goal. I especially appreciate this for arcade games. But I also see the appeal for a really good emulated replacement for things that just can't be obtained anymore or can't be easily maintained going forward. This is why I have a SCSI-to-SD setup on my CPS3 and why I have all sorts of multi solutions for other platforms. Better believe I'll be looking forward to FPGA based arcade games as they continue to mature.
    • BroadwayJose wrote:

You guys are saying "It's not real hardware!"
      Because its not.

BroadwayJose wrote:

TO's products satisfies a different demand: play on your existing real hardware and emulate the parts that are rare to find, often prohibitively expensive and are prone to failure. Can make a case that their emulated replacements are actually better than the real thing (no additonal power consumption, better video options, no optical drive, less physical space). I don't understand how this is a bad thing.
      It's not "bad" its just not for me... Because "it's not real hardware" and I personally only play on real hardware.
      What I find offencive is the failure (by even Bob someone I respect) to acknowledge this is NOT "playing Sega CD games on original hardware".

BroadwayJose wrote:

This is why I have a SCSI-to-SD setup on my CPS3
      Not comparable or applicable in this example, you are only simulating media storage, not complex components like central processing units.
      That's exactly what I'm talking about BTW, your apparent failure to see how that is different.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 3 times, last by jassin000 ().