MegaSD - FPGA SegaCD in a cart

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yea I feel the same way... I would have rathered the device only replace the optical portion of the original SegaCD unit.
      I don't like the idea of the 68000 CPU inside of the SegaCD being virtual, even if it is with highly accurate FPGA simulation.

It also seems strange to me that they boast 32x support but require the actual hardware for that one.
      I mean not strange from the standpoint that they would need to simulate a SH2 in real time and that would be really damn hard...
      But strange in that its a complete solution for SegaCD, and supports 32x, but is not a complete solution for 32x.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • I ordered one, it looks like a nice way to get into Sega cd which I’ve never played. Says it ships August. Anyone wanna take bets on actual shipping date for a day 1 order?
      multis: cps* ttx2 gnet f3 mvs sega st-v/16b/24/c2/naomi(netboot) sys2x6 m72
      cabs: sega blast city x2 | taito vewlix c + egret ii
      links: klov/vaps games list | custom fight sticks
      projects: conversions, various repairs
    • i am still looking for an ode. are there any sega cd ode projects out there?
      Video: Framemeister XRGB mini with XSync-1 and XCapture-1 │ Sony BVM-D20F1E
      DS: ST-V │CPS2 MultiKit │ CPS3 SuperBios
      MB: MV-1B │ CPS1 │ CPS2 │ CPS3 │ ST-V │ Naomi II │ G-Net │ TTX2
      SB: Street Fighter 1 (6 Button Edition)
      Superguns: MK30 Adcap │ Arcadeforge MAK Strike│ RGB's HAS
      Sticks: Madcatz TE2 │ 2x Capcom CPS │ 2x Neo Geo
    • ordering at gdemu is a pain ...
    • ekorz wrote:

I have my knife ready for a trace cut, my solder station ready for a bypass pcb... not worried ;)
      It was more having to throw another $50 at it for two different bypass boards rather than just having a working product at whatever it cost on its own.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • I'm also in the camp that would have preferred a straightforward ODE for the MegaCD. Unlike the disc drive for the PC-Engine, the MegaCD has quite a lot of additional hardware in it. Does TerraOnion have the chops to do accurate FPGA simulation?

Analogue has kevtris. Kevin has 15 years worth of FPGA development and reverse engineering under his belt. Who does TO have?

I'm fine with somewhat accurate simulation with a product like MiSTER, but with this, I expect it to be perfect and indistinguishable to the real thing.

Got to give credit to TerraOnion on one thing though, they've really stepped up with the looks of their products. NeoSD looks and feels cheap, but both this and SSDS3 look really good.
    • No ode for the

nem wrote:

I'm also in the camp that would have preferred a straightforward ODE for the MegaCD. Unlike the disc drive for the PC-Engine, the MegaCD has quite a lot of additional hardware in it. Does TerraOnion have the chops to do accurate FPGA simulation?
      As far as I have followed it on Discord it uses the same 68k core that MiSTer uses. TO asked the original creator for a license and was given we dont know what licenses were given etc. TO did say they fixed a major bug in the 68K core back in Feb 2019 but not sure if they fixed it only for their release or on the open source code as well. This is basically a hardware emulator for Sega CD and compared to MiSTer that has active bug fixes and users testing, not sure how it will go for this.
      DS MULTI: CPS2|STV|MVS
      DS WISHLIST: CPS1|CAVE CV1000B|CAVE CV1000D
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Probably so they can sell you a "pro" version after they've taken all the standard edition money as they usually do.
      Pro-version imminent!

Only they are calling it "expansion adapter"
      Plugs into the side like a real SegaCD, so you can play 32x-SegaCD highbreed games. :S
    • Also would prefer a product from a different group. But nobody else is working on it?
    • Deunan once express a desire to look into it (SegaCD ODE). As we discussed via email exchange long ago... Some versions of the model 2 SegaCD use the same ribbon cable connector as the original Saturn (I have one). Making the Rhea actually physically compatible with the hardware. However an entire new firmware and other possible hardware changes would need to be made... And this was just to support ONE somewhat rare, later revision of the model 2 SegaCD only (all other models would be excluded).