Raspberry PI 2: SMB Image for Playstation 2 OPL

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• nam9 wrote:

I did this a couple years ago with a TP-Link TL-WR703N and a pen drive in the USB socket...
      Guide is called 'USB2SMB Tutorial' on PS2-home.com and fails every single on of Derick2ks requirements :rolleyes:
      It works though :thumbup:

@Derick2k is the issue just reading the NTFS format?
      That’s the idea, I think with a capable Nas boxe at home we should be able to allocate some resources and create an smb share on it. Thus no need for a pi or any of that. Never looked into this, but should be doable.
    • The performance of network loaded ISOs on PS2 Slim is really good, maybe not 100% perfect but light years ahead of USB based solutions.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • jassin000 wrote:

I just don't understand why I can't get a pre-made image to do this.

Everything is as barebones as it comes... sudo apt-get Jesus fucking Christ NO!

The answer to this is the same reason that porchy removed his ROM section and why the multis only have instructions on what you need rather than providing everything
    • xodaraP wrote:

Why do you need to use NTFS at all? Wouldn't exFAT be a better option since it's not a closed platform?

The biggest issue is getting NTFS mounted on the Pi.....

I'll look at this when I get home, but I should be able to build it for you. I've done similar setups before, but not using a Pi
      OPL can't read exfat. Only fat32 and ntfs.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • I have no specific knowledge of PS2 OPL and how it works;

But if the goal is to share a folder from Raspi using Samba the type of file system used isnt presented to the PS2 over the network. That means exFAT should work just fine.

@jassin000 I can't easily make you an image without having all the PS2 widgets on my end to verify it works as expected, so can you give us some info on what distro you're using and what problem you're having?

I'm not a Raspi expert by any means, but I have a Raspi 2 Model B on my desk with a fresh Rasbian stretch install. Formatted a usb stick to NTFS and popped it in, here is how that went:

Source Code

1. pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo fdisk -l
      2. <removed extra info about sd card memories>
      3. Disk /dev/sda: 28.9 GiB, 31037849600 bytes, 60620800 sectors
      4. Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
      5. Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
      6. I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
      7. Disklabel type: dos
      8. Disk identifier: 0x00000000
      9. Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
      10. /dev/sda1 * 2048 60620799 60618752 28.9G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
      11. pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
      12. pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /mnt
      13. pi@raspberrypi:/mnt $ ls
      14. Crazy Taxi (US) (Sega of America) (2000) [MK-51035] [01-0086-51035-5].zip
      15. Daytona USA (US) (Sega of America) (2001) [MK-51037] [01-0086-51037-9].zip
      16. pi@raspberrypi:/mnt $ lsb_release -a
      17. No LSB modules are available.
      18. Distributor ID: Raspbian
      19. Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.9 (stretch)
      20. Release: 9.9
      21. Codename: stretch
      Display All
    • brizzo wrote:

But if the goal is to share a folder from Raspi using Samba the type of file system used isnt presented to the PS2 over the network.

Every issues-getting-opl-to-connect-to-my-share post on reddit goes on about making sure your share is NTFS or FAT32 formatted. But now that you've mentioned it, uh, yeah, that doesn't make any sense.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • rewrite wrote:

xodaraP wrote:

And FAT32 is no good because of the 4gb file limit I guess.
      Yep. Bunch of PS2 games that clock in over 4gb unfortunately.
      From memory, I was able to upload 4GB+ games onto the internal PS2 HDD using my Mac and an Ethernet cable, it would split and install in different partitions that OPL could read from memory?
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Supergun: Sentinel Gold / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

• djsheep wrote:

From memory, I was able to upload 4GB+ games onto the internal PS2 HDD using my Mac and an Ethernet cable, it would split and install in different partitions that OPL could read from memory?
      No HDD in this situation, so it won't really matter I suppose. But that's totally possible, I know some setups with HDDLoader can do that.
    • I grabbed a GUI-less version of "NOOB" and followed the series of "apt-get install" packages commonly outlined in a few guides.
      While all the packages installed reported OK, when inserting my NTFS formatted USB stick into the Pi and running "sudo fdisk -l" I've got nothing. ?(
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)