Raspberry PI 2: SMB Image for Playstation 2 OPL

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Raspberry PI 2: SMB Image for Playstation 2 OPL

AP I'm ashamed to admit I've been fucking around with this for weeks and I just can't get this working! ?( :cursing:
      I think of myself as pretty smart, but I'm stuck at mounting the NTFS formatted USB media storage step (my Pi just can't see it).
      I'm willing to pay actual money (Paypal) if someone can just fucking make this work before I put my fist thru my monitor.

Nitty gritty:
      I will pay 50$ Paypal gift for a working Raspberry Pi 2 image preconfigured to work with PS2 OPL.

Disqualifiers:
      If I have to do anything beyond image the microSD card and insert it into the Pi I'm not paying!

Please help me and everyone else not Linux savvy enough to pirate PS2 games.

This just shouldn't be this hard, why is every goddamn guide from a barebones install?
      Why the fuck can't I just get a image like I can with PiForce on Naomi?
      I'm willing to pay to change this bullshit and host the image for all time!

I finally was able to do this by following a generic guide for setting up SMB sharing using NOOBS on Raspberry Pi.
      I simply used a larger (32GB) SD card and created a directory in root/native file system, upload my ISOs over DHCP (messing around with NTFS is NOT recommended).

It's a rather bloated img, as it was my test/first setup (and includes the full x-desktop that I still need to remove/disable) plus some games I was testing. :whistling:
      I'll get this streamlined/fixed up so I can release something, hopefully actually useful to anyone looking to do the same. :thumbup:
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 13 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Best way to describe it quickly is to say its the Sony PS2 equivalent of PiForce on Naomi.
      A Pi made into an SMB server that hosts images from USB storage connected directly to the PS2's network port.

The post was edited 1 time, last by jassin000 ().

• Its a PlayStation 2 emulator that instead of having the discs on the RPI3 it pulls them off of a SMB server. The last time I tried this the PS2 emulator did not play the games very well and there was not many supported. However this was many many months ago and VERY beta lol. I wouldnt be surprised if they gave up on it as the Pi3 was lacking enough ooomphf to pull it off.

*edit* ohhhh your not using the Pi for emulation .. i'm intrigued. So this pushes the game to the PS2? As in the Pi acts as a server. Every time I have had to use SMB it made me use a network connection as the storage point and it didn't like me trying to use the USB at all for this process.
      -My Stuff-
      Sega Showcase cab (TTX2 Multi)
      Capcom Big Blue (Gen 2) (HyperSpin)
      Namco cab (246/256 Multi)
      Atomiswave (Ranger Mission)
      Atomiswave (Naomi 2 Multi)
      Area 51 (Dedicated)
      Sega Blast City x2

Area 51 (SharpShooter)
      Korean Crowin 302 (empty)(rebuilding
      NASCAR twin sitdowns (Xbox 360)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dreygor ().

• Its NOT emulation, its network loading the images.
      The Pi acts as the server/host, the PS2 is running the homebrew OPL software.

The post was edited 3 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Yup corrected myself after I read your following post.
      -My Stuff-
      Area 51 (Dedicated)
      Sega Blast City x2

Area 51 (SharpShooter)
    • rewrite wrote:

Color me interested. Already have a smb setup at home and the full PS2 set...
      McBoot or hardware mod?

LOL sounds like you need to page @brizzo , @twistedsymphony .. the other people I know who could pull this off are not allowed to play here anymore.
      -My Stuff-
      Area 51 (Dedicated)
      Sega Blast City x2

Area 51 (SharpShooter)
    • I have mcboot on a slim as well as a few PSX DVR things. Being able to load games from my already existing samba shares would be way better than putting games on USB drives.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • Derick2k wrote:

Shouldn’t you be able to use a nas box to do the same as well?
      Google says yes.

Got it up and running with a Win10 machine. Pretty cool, and FMV's don't stutter with the PSX, so that's a bonus (I was reading they stutter with slims because the ethernet runs through the USB, apparently?).

Reached out to a friend who's Linux savvy to see if he could do the Pi bit.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • This is interesting, though I don't have a PS2 to test with. I've only ever owned a slim and it crapped out years ago.

What the ideal PS2 version to have for this?
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • Let me ask a friend. He -might- have the setup you’re looking for @jassin000. I think his info’s out there, so if it is, no bounty.

Update: no plug and play image like you were looking for. Just this video tutorial he suggested. If you see the end result, here, it sounds like what you're looking for, though. He says it works for all models of pi, and he's pretty current to the PS2 softmodding scene, so I trust him.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JoeAwesome ().

• nam9 wrote:

If you are thinking SMB network share then the slim versions have an ethernet port built in.
      As I'd mentioned before, the slims supposedly run their ethernet through the slow USB interface on-board and FMV cutscenes stutter.

A fat PS2 would be a better option given that info. Or a PSX.