Advice on how to HDMI all my consoles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Advice on how to HDMI all my consoles

Well after being stubborn for years I have kinda sold off all my monitors, including BVM's, NEC XM29, Pioneer PDP402 etc. (still have the CRT cabs though ;) )
      Reason for that being space of course and also to make room for a projector and projection screen in my mancave to turn it into a little home theater.
      But I still want to be able to enjoy my consoles/games as they have been gathering dust for months now, so what would be my best approach to get all these consoles connected over HDMI?
      I have an OSSC and RGC cables for all already, but it doesn't play nice with my projector for most console's refresh rate so I'm looking for an easier solution that just works.
      (Still need to test the OSSC running via my Lumagen video processor to see if it works like a VP50 :whistling: )

What would be the best approach for each console you think? Or are there other alternatives?
      Ideally I would like all consoles to be in 1 separate cabinet connected to 1 HDMI switch which then feeds into my AVR in the main rack

NES -> HDMI Mod? (as the NT Mini is too expensive)
      SNES -> SuperNT
      N64 -> HDMI Mod?
      Gamecube -> Replace it with a Wii U, or use GCVideo for GBA?
      PSX -> no HDMI mod available?
      Megadrive/Genesis -> Mega-SG
      Saturn -> no HDMI mod available?
      Dreamcast -> HDMI Mod or BBS Akura?
      PC Engine Duo -> no HDMI mod available?

Am I missing some HDMI options or have I listed those that are available?
    • PascalP wrote:

I have an OSSC and RGC cables for all already, but it doesn't play nice with my projector for most console's refresh rate so I'm looking for an easier solution that just works.
      I game on a projector myself, You already have the best option right there.

I don't believe HDMI modding your console directly will solve your compatibility issue. The issue is that the console itself produces it's video out put at a refresh rate that is incompatible with your projector. Whether you're outputting via RGB and converting to HDMI via the OSSC or converting to HDMI inside the console itself, that refresh rate wont change unless you modify the video clock on the console. Some of the HDMI mods do this but others dont.

IMO at that point you might as well be running on an emulator or FPGA setup because you've significantly changed the way the original hardware runs. In my mind the biggest issue that keeps emulation from being indistinguishable from original hardware is the fact that it doesn't run at precisely the right speed. So once you've changed that about the original console there's almost no point to it. Alternatively, find a new projector. I would think that in Europe it would be easy to find one that supports RGB SCART natively. Heck if you've got room go for an old CRT Projector :D
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
      • NES - HiDef NES. If you have a desoldering gun, it's not too bad of a mod. I've done several on the AV Famicom without issue. Designed by Kevtris. Timing of the system CPU does change slightly, but unless you're doing speedrunning, it won't be a huge issue
      • N64 - I think UltraHDMI is the only option for this? I've done several. People sometimes say it's a more advanced install, but after doing a few PC Engine Duo recaps, I was able to do this without issue.
      • GameCube - Well, there are various GCVideo solutions. You could replace with a Wii and use the WiiDual HDMI board by citrus3000psi, or go with a Wii U and softmod it to run nintendont for your GC needs (and a GC/Wii (smash bros) USB adapter to use your original controllers). Don't think nintendont supports discs, might jsut be disc images
      • PSX - no mod available that I know of, but citrus3000psi has a ps2hdmi mod in the works. It's PS2, but ps2 plays just about all ps1 games, though I think there might be a few compatibility issues here or there (ps2 hardware related, not hdmi related)
      • Saturn - don't think there's anything at the moment
      • Dreamcast - DCHDMI is a fantastic solution, and the quality is amazing. I don't know why, but I had a hell of a time with the ribbon cable not soldering well to the graphics chip. Pads on the cable burned off super easily and I had to order a replacement. But once installed, it's great.
      • PCE - closest to HDMI that I'm aware of is the UperGrafx, which does DVI out. But it's super expensive and won't allow you to use original CD hardware. However it does act as an ODE similar to the ssds3, but requires custom software to load disc images
      If I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know. I'd love to know of other solutions as well
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

Heck if you've got room go for an old CRT Projector :D
      Well.... actually I do have a Sony G70 CRT projector somewhere in my basement :whistling:
      Tested it briefly with Megadrive 240P via RGB and it was epic, scanlines and all

Just setting it up is a pain and the thing is so huge so no space to set it up permanent in parallel to my main 1080p projector for movies etc.
    • Unless you absolutely need to have the projector experience, go with an OLED LG and call it a day. The 55" affordable now. Or you can have both, have the projector screen drop down in front of the TV..I have see a few setup on YouTube which look cool. Besides, by the time that you HDMI your consoles that might be close to the price of an OLED 55"
      The Future Is Now
    • SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:

Unless you absolutely need to have the projector experience, go with an OLED LG and call it a day. The 55" affordable now. Or you can have both, have the projector screen drop down in front of the TV..I have see a few setup on YouTube which look cool.
      Yeah combined with OSSC this is gold for sure, but I have a fixed frame projector screen...
      Been testing the OSSC a bit on the Samsung 4K in the living room and it just works with most consoles on x4 and x5 mode
    • PascalP wrote:

Just setting it up is a pain and the thing is so huge so no space to set it up permanent in parallel to my main 1080p projector for movies etc.
      I feel you, I had a Barco 500 CRT projector for years, one of the gun mounts was cracked and it was set up on a shelf that got bumped all the time so I had to re-converge the thing about once a month.

if you have enough space between you and the screen you might be able to mount it to the floor firing up, and build a coffee table over it I've seen a few setups like that, and if I ever move into a place that gives me more projector room I'll likely find another one to run a setup like this.

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:

have the projector screen drop down in front of the TV.
      This is my current setup. I have a motorized screen that is located about 60cm (2ft) away from the wall. so that it's flush with the front of my speakers and the TV stands I have on the floor with my AV equipment/modern consoles. Currently I'm just using the area behind the screen for storage but the plan is to eventually build a nice shelf system with a couple of Trinitrons so that I can roll the screen up and play classic consoles on a proper CRT.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

PascalP wrote:

I game on a projector myself, You already have the best option right there.
      I don't believe HDMI modding your console directly will solve your compatibility issue. The issue is that the console itself produces it's video out put at a refresh rate that is incompatible with your projector. Whether you're outputting via RGB and converting to HDMI via the OSSC or converting to HDMI inside the console itself, that refresh rate wont change unless you modify the video clock on the console. Some of the HDMI mods do this but others dont.

IMO at that point you might as well be running on an emulator or FPGA setup because you've significantly changed the way the original hardware runs. In my mind the biggest issue that keeps emulation from being indistinguishable from original hardware is the fact that it doesn't run at precisely the right speed. So once you've changed that about the original console there's almost no point to it. Alternatively, find a new projector. I would think that in Europe it would be easy to find one that supports RGB SCART natively. Heck if you've got room go for an old CRT Projector :D
      heck man, I feel so stupid now, been checking my current DLP projector and it even has a VGA style RGB compatible connector :D

Will test this out if I can find something to go from scart -> dsub, hopefully my projector takes the timings if they are a bit off, here is what the manual says on compatible resolution;
      480/60i
      720 x 487
      59.94 / 60
      15.734/15.75
    • Stupid Dufus wrote:

• NES - HiDef NES. If you have a desoldering gun, it's not too bad of a mod. I've done several on the AV Famicom without issue. Designed by Kevtris. Timing of the system CPU does change slightly, but unless you're doing speedrunning, it won't be a huge issue
      • N64 - I think UltraHDMI is the only option for this? I've done several. People sometimes say it's a more advanced install, but after doing a few PC Engine Duo recaps, I was able to do this without issue.
      • GameCube - Well, there are various GCVideo solutions. You could replace with a Wii and use the WiiDual HDMI board by citrus3000psi, or go with a Wii U and softmod it to run nintendont for your GC needs (and a GC/Wii (smash bros) USB adapter to use your original controllers). Don't think nintendont supports discs, might jsut be disc images
      • PSX - no mod available that I know of, but citrus3000psi has a ps2hdmi mod in the works. It's PS2, but ps2 plays just about all ps1 games, though I think there might be a few compatibility issues here or there (ps2 hardware related, not hdmi related)
      • Saturn - don't think there's anything at the moment
      • Dreamcast - DCHDMI is a fantastic solution, and the quality is amazing. I don't know why, but I had a hell of a time with the ribbon cable not soldering well to the graphics chip. Pads on the cable burned off super easily and I had to order a replacement. But once installed, it's great.
      • PCE - closest to HDMI that I'm aware of is the UperGrafx, which does DVI out. But it's super expensive and won't allow you to use original CD hardware. However it does act as an ODE similar to the ssds3, but requires custom software to load disc images
      If I'm wrong on any of this, please let me know. I'd love to know of other solutions as well
      NES - I have it currently RGB modded so this should be doable for sure
      N64 - Will check it out
      Gamecube - Wii U sounds like the way to go
      PSX - yeah that sucks as I want to keep using PSIO
      Saturn - sucks as well
      Dreamcast - Will check this one out as will, seen some install pics and it looked a bit complicated indeed with the ribbon cables
      PCE - guess that is a no go then

Regarding the NES, N64 and Dreamcast mods, do these keep the original refresh rates of run at a solid 1080p/60?
    • PascalP wrote:

NES - I have it currently RGB modded so this should be doable for sureN64 - Will check it out
      Gamecube - Wii U sounds like the way to go
      PSX - yeah that sucks as I want to keep using PSIO
      Saturn - sucks as well
      Dreamcast - Will check this one out as will, seen some install pics and it looked a bit complicated indeed with the ribbon cables
      PCE - guess that is a no go then

Regarding the NES, N64 and Dreamcast mods, do these keep the original refresh rates of run at a solid 1080p/60?
      NES - You can't have both RGB and HDMI mods in. But if you have it RGB modded, should be easy to swap out the boards and connect a few wires (or disconnect in the RGB's case).
      GameCube/Wii U - I've only used nintendont on a Wii, but works fine for me. Supposed to work in Wii U, but don't know what the process is or what ios/cios things you need to install
      Dreamcast - It's just one ribbon cable. Connecting to the sound chip I had no issue, but the part connecting for video just would not attach. I mean, it could've just been me for some reason, but it was one I don't want to install again.

For the HiDefNES, I believe that the change in cpu timing I mentioned is for a new refresh rate for compatibility.

As for DCHDMI, I don't think it changes the timings at all. You can still output using the standard AV out port (composite, vga) at the same time without issue.
    • opt2not wrote:

I second the AVS. Fantastic device!

For GBA (and GB/GBC), check out Woozle’s GBA Consolizer. It recently released and it modifies an original GBA to output HDMI, and also attaches a SNES controller port.
      Hopefully they start shipping soon. I was in the first pre-order batch and still no shipping notification.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • rewrite wrote:

opt2not wrote:

I second the AVS. Fantastic device!

For GBA (and GB/GBC), check out Woozle’s GBA Consolizer. It recently released and it modifies an original GBA to output HDMI, and also attaches a SNES controller port.
      Hopefully they start shipping soon. I was in the first pre-order batch and still no shipping notification.
      Were you in the lottery first batch?
      I was, and just received my kit. Looking forward to finally getting this running. I’ve been itching to replay a bunch of my old titles on our big TV.
      Images
      • DD413715-BC6C-4312-8A99-3510BA33796C.jpeg

953.22 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 21 times
    • opt2not wrote:

Were you in the lottery first batch?
      Sure was! And I've got not so much as a message. Pre-ordered the case and cap kit when they were offered too. Maybe the case I chose takes longer than the one you chose? I know there were two manufacturer options.

Anyway, your getting yours gives me hope!
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • @rewrite that must be it, I didn’t get the full case because I didn’t really like the look of it and it added more bulk to the overall size. I like how the screen cover just sits in the screen spot and keeps the overall size small. I just ordered a Black replacement shell and black buttons as well to have it all match.
      Gametechus must be just sending out the orders that didn’t have the full case.
    • @opt2not I'm still not sure which route I'm going, but I wanted to have options.

I'm still on the hunt for a 40 pin GBA on the super cheap. I have one, but it's already back-lit modded and I'd hate to tear it apart.