What's new

Shinden51

Beginner
Reaction score
Got this candy cabinet a couple months ago, but just found this awesome forum today. This is my first candy cab, and it was fun restoring it.

Stuff I did with the candy includes:

Marquee and instruction sheet (ordered from a guy on ebay)
2 players Naomi CP (from jasenscustoms)
Sanwa Joysticks, buttons, Ultimarc Ipac (from focus attack & aracde shock)
spray cans, sand paper, and prepping supplies (the Vaspar Plastic paint was crap, I ended up using Rust-Oleum Appliances Enamel, and it was awesome)

The cab is currently running Hyperspin with a Lenovo I3-4170

IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1213.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 779
Nice clean up and restore :thumbup: . Those Net City's yellow pretty bad, that's what stopped me from buying one and decided to get the Blast City's instead.

Nice clean up and restore :thumbup: . Those Net City's yellow pretty bad, that's what stopped me from buying one and decided to get the Blast City's instead.
Retrobrite, man. Retrobrite.

Congrats on the cab, Shinden! Love the Net/New Net City style. So coooooooooooool.

Lol, I know, I did a couple of consoles that way, but it yellows again. You have to spray it with something else aafterwards to prevent it from yellowing again, dont you?!

I had a NOS Naomi and within a year the monitor surround was a different shade of cream to the control panel surround and that's in a non-smoking house + darkened room. Sega must have used a different mix when molding the parts.

I've just purchased a bit of a Naomi shed and it's multiple shades of grotty. It will be white again, I might powder-coat the metalwork and use plastikote on the rest..

the cab look brand new mate nice work.

by chance would you be interested in a trade. a new net city 2l12b cp overlay for your blast city overlay.

Lol, I know, I did a couple of consoles that way, but it yellows again. You have to spray it with something else aafterwards to prevent it from yellowing again, dont you?!
Yeah, you're supposed to put on just about any clear finish coat.

As Penrhos said though, the monitor surround is for whatever reason an entirely different plastic than the rest of the it. It yellows differently in the most annoying way.

by chance would you be interested in a trade. a new net city 2l12b cp overlay for your blast city overlay.
Hey Rewrite is looking for a NNC CP, maybe he has something to trade for it?

I have an original Blast city CP in pretty decent shape, no rust, just needs to be polished with some novus. I was going to put it up for sale with the my cabs.

IMG_3818.JPG

Hey Rewrite is looking for a NNC CP, maybe he has something to trade for it?
I have an original Blast city CP in pretty decent shape, no rust, just needs to be polished with some novus. I was going to put it up for sale with the my cabs.

IMG_3818.JPG
Unless it's legitimately NOS I don't have any interest. NNC overlays have a fancy mirror-finish underneath the silver printing. Something that no reproduction has been able to capture yet unfortunately.

the cab look brand new mate nice work.

Thanks you!

You really don't really want my blast city panel, it was in pretty poor/rough shape and that's the reason why i changed it out in the first place, there is surface rust on the bottom side of the panel. On the other hand, I was very much surprised on how nice the Jasenscustoms panel is.
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG

Not too keen on the button colour choice... Stock should be pink/green & yellow starts with the Orange overlay. Although all white looks good.

Not too keen on the button colour choice... Stock should be pink/green & yellow starts with the Orange overlay. Although all white looks good.
Don't tell my 8 years old that, she think she has picked the best color combo. :D

Wow, you guys are awesome. Never knew you can remove yellow from plastic. When I saw you guys mentioned retrobrite, I was like what the heck are you guys talking about? :P Every time I see scratches and discoloration, my years of plastic model building instinct kicked in. Its all about putty, sanding, priming, basecoat, top coat, sanding, and clear coat. :D I knew I will learn alot here. :thumbup: I guess retrobrite will be an awesome route for restoring home console due to the relative lack of abuse. Arcade machines on the other hands have too much nicks and scratches.

Who cares about the cabinets. I want to see the cars!

New Net City is my dream cabinet. I would gladly burn my Impress with a torch just to put an offer on a nice one.

Back