What's new

nam9

Champion
Reaction score
Hi,

Does this error message mean anything to anyone?

IMG_2039.jpg

The instruction of Ox004029fa referenced memory of Ox00000000. Memory could not be read.
Click OK to terminate the program.

If I hit return, I end up with JVS error. With the JVS device disconnected, I get the usual 'no I/O board detected' error message.

What is the ttxmulti.exe attempting here?

This is on a TTX unit, running the @rtw / @Niko multi.
The JVS device is a USB to JVS adapter by Bryan Topp (IO-Buddy USB-to-JVS adapter).

Cheers!

is this a game error or a menu error ?

Do you have a Logic Analyser nearby ? A small Salea or similar ?

I assume this works fine with a standard JVS-IO ?

edit: I see this is the menu error

Last edited:
That device USB / JVS looks great. I noticed though that the number of inputs both analog and digital may no be enough for what those games request.

You should try with a regular JVS I/O and that will most certainly solve your problem. I think I've seen that problem before.

It is the multi menu crashing, the capabilities of the JVS IO should not affect this.

If this does work with a normal JVS I/O it's almost definitely a problem with the USB to JVS adapter that you're using.

All games implement the JVS spec slightly differently and some are particularly sensitive to timings such as Afterburner Climax on the Lindbergh. As well as this you need to make sure you satisfy the amount of analogue/digital inputs/outputs that the game requires.

My OpenJVS software (https://github.com/bobbydilley/OpenJVS) suffers from similar issues on some games, and little improvements have to be made to eventually support everything.

I think it's unlikely that without some modification of the code running on the USB to JVS adaptor that you would get it working - it may just be as simple as making sure the right amount of inputs are available though!

Things to check would be if this adaptor works with any other arcade system (to make sure it's not faulty), and to make sure the JVS SYNC line is hooked up properly and is working how you would expect.

Last edited:
If the game process is run as a child of the ttxmenu.exe thing - would the errors have ttxmulti.exe as their title? I'm not up to scratch on how windows works properly

The multi is only used to select a game which is passed to the launcher underneath, when the game starts it does so on it's own.

Logic analyser ? :D

This device was designed for the Naomi.
I was planning to use this with a TTX2 build I am working on, but got another TTX unit up first.
Would also make a great test tool as this is all there is to it:

box.jpg

(There is a USB A port on the rear and the unit contains an integrated USB host controller - add a usb hub and you have multiple player support...)
Its firmware upgradable, so if there is a compatibility issue it could potentially be ironed out...

I know all about the device :)

The question is, do you have a Logic Analyser ?

Buy one, they're around 30 usd for salea clones on eBay, buy some small test probes as well...

Or buy this device and send it to me :P

The Naomi is the most forgiving of all the hardware, and doesn’t even check the Sync line properly (on the Naomi you can just ground the sync always and it’ll work).

So if it was only tested for a Naomi it might not conform to the JVS spec very well

I asked Bryan the same question:

Bryan said:
Looks like a null-pointer dereference. Whatever I'm sending seems to have exposed a bug - maybe they query something and I return no data, or I return something that's invalid, and they don't check for it appropriately. Without a decent error message on the host side, it'll be hard to track down
So yeah, what response should the I/O be responding? What question is the ttxmulti asking... maybe one for @‘niko’?

No way of telling without watching the serial communications and working out in your head what should be sent.

Things I could guess might be happening:
It’s not replying quick enough
The features list isn’t enough for it to work
You say you have a feature that you don’t implement
You implement a feature wrong (send back to few or too many bytes)

With arcade platforms they will almost never actually tell you the error - simply either it will work, or you’ll get some generic JVS error or a I/O doesn’t meet requirements error so without some way of watching what your device is sending it’s gonna be very hard to debug

A simple USB to RS485 converter from eBay for about 5 pounds could be hooked up and you could watch what either side sent and work out the error from there :)

This is simple, a 4 channel logic analyser will tell us what is wrong in 30 seconds. Just monitor the tx,rx, sense and direction on the MAX chip.

The TTX multi works fine with all IOs I have tested... TAITO, Capcom, SEGA, NAMCO so for me this is an iobuddy issue...

Last edited:
Back