What's new
So would you recommend treating it as potentially defective and sending one or both to Sharp? I was going to just swap in the Yaton chassis when it arrived.

Plug it in, if it works it works. Just send the one you have first i guess.

I haven't received a reply from him for several days now which is unusual so I'm hoping all is ok.
He is working a show in SoCal.

Do me a favor and take a pic of the ends of the VGA cable that you connected your MAME PC to and post it here. Both ends. Thanks.

The MAME PC was hooked up to my main RGB/console setup so here was the signal chain (if I did anything extraordinarily stupid here, better to find out now than repeat the error):

MAME PC running CRTEmudriver @ 15 khz -> VGA cable -> Extron RGB 203 Rxi (conversion to RGBS) -> BNC cable -> Extron Crosspoint Plus Switcher -> BNC-VGA RGBS cable with gender changer -> New Net City.

This is the end of the RGBS-VGA cable without the gender changer removed: https://imgur.com/a/q6qwAPQ

Not that this will help your chassis issue, but I would have assumed pc straight to nnc via vga.

The MAME PC was hooked up to my main RGB/console setup so here was the signal chain (if I did anything extraordinarily stupid here, better to find out now than repeat the error):

MAME PC running CRTEmudriver @ 15 khz -> VGA cable -> Extron RGB 203 Rxi (conversion to RGBS) -> BNC cable -> Extron Crosspoint Plus Switcher -> BNC-VGA RGBS cable with gender changer -> New Net City.

This is the end of the RGBS-VGA cable without the gender changer removed: https://imgur.com/a/q6qwAPQ
To reiterate, gamesaru/Cereth is working a show in SoCal. He texted me earlier this week about it. During these times, the guy is extremely busy and stressed out. Pretty sure he'll get back to you when he can.

I asked that you posted the pic of the end of your VGA cable to ensure that pin 9 is not in place. If you connect a PC with pin 9 in place to an arcade monitor, your going to blow your arcade monitor chassis. Looks like you averted that as I see pin 9 is pulled on your cable. Good. Remember that going forward if you ever swap out VGA cables in the future: NO PIN 9. Yank it out with needle nose pliers on both ends. MAME is quite troublesome on tri-sync arcade monitors. I build 10 or so 15khz MAME arcade cabs a year. I have yet to successfully connect a 15khz MAME PC to a tri-sync monitor. On a side note, Cereth posted that he was having issues where he was sending out Blast City's in working status to customers, then upon arrival, the chassis all died. I have a suspicion that users are trying to connect MAME to those cabs possibly with pin 9 in place.

Next questions:
  1. Did you enable CSync in VMMaker or Atom-15 when you set up CRT Emu? Please confirm.
Yatons "100% working" listings usually need to be sent for repairs 9 times outta ten. So be prepared for sending both.
FYP

The Crosspoint is a matrix switcher which can take all of my inputs (consoles, PC, etc) and pass the signal through to up to 8 outputs, allowing me to have one single VGA out to the cab that can carry the signal from the MAME PC, Dreamcast, other consoles, etc. and not be constantly plugging and unplugging cables.

The Crosspoint is a matrix switcher which can take all of my inputs (consoles, PC, etc) and pass the signal through to up to 8 outputs, allowing me to have one single VGA out to the cab that can carry the signal from the MAME PC, Dreamcast, other consoles, etc. and not be constantly plugging and unplugging cables.
Pin 9 should be pulled on any of the VGA cables in that chain.

To reiterate, gamesaru/Cereth is working a show in SoCal. He texted me earlier this week about it. During these times, the guy is extremely busy and stressed out. Pretty sure he'll get back to you when he can.
I asked that you posted the pic of the end of your VGA cable to ensure that pin 9 is not in place. If you connect a PC with pin 9 in place to an arcade monitor, your going to blow your arcade monitor chassis. Looks like you averted that as I see pin 9 is pulled on your cable. Good. Remember that going forward if you ever swap out VGA cables in the future: NO PIN 9. Yank it out with needle nose pliers on both ends. MAME is quite troublesome on tri-sync arcade monitors. I build 10 or so 15khz MAME arcade cabs a year. I have yet to successfully connect a 15khz MAME PC to a tri-sync monitor. On a side note, Cereth posted that he was having issues where he was sending out Blast City's in working status to customers, then upon arrival, the chassis all died. I have a suspicion that users are trying to connect MAME to those cabs possibly with pin 9 in place.

Next questions:
  1. Did you enable CSync in VMMaker or Atom-15 when you set up CRT Emu? Please confirm.
Yatons "100% working" listings usually need to be sent for repairs 9 times outta ten. So be prepared for sending both.
FYP
I understand about the show and that's fine. He hadn't indicated that to me, just that he was busy and stressed. I obviously get it and I'm sure he'll get back to me. I want to reiterate that I don't have any animosity toward him for this - he has an As-Is policy on his CRT cabs for a reason, and these things happen. I purposely didn't name him as the seller initially because I didn't want to be negative toward him. I only named him today because the speculation has been running rampant and more damaging than productive. I just want to get the situation sorted and get the cab working.

I was running an earlier version of CRT Emudriver that did not have the CSync option. The Extron 203 was taking the RGBHV signal and converting it to RGBS before it went to the cab.

EDITED TO ADD: I also want to mention that when I tried to send the RGBS signal to my Astro through the JPAC I got an odd split/rolling image, and it was only when I went direct from the PC to the JPAC that it worked. Not sure if the JPAC is expecting an RGBHV PC signal or if the signal chain was messing things up, or if that's even remotely related to the NNC, but wanted to point it out.

Last edited:
J-pac takes separate H and V sync and combines it. So you sent CSync to the J-pac with the Extron where it got further processed by the J-pac. Not surprising you got a rolling screen. Also, this could have contributed to your chassis failure as sending improper sync to a chassis is known to do that, if that is indeed what you did.

15khz from a PC to a tri-sync monitor is tricky, but it is possible as there are 15khz JVS PCB's like all the Tekken boards. I believe what needs to be done is CSync needs to be outputted to the single proper pin, either 13 or 14 (I believe it should be 13). Enabling CSync in VMMaker and Atom-15 will send CSync to both pins. So the trick is pulling one of the pins, 13 or 14. But which one to pull for sure and if pulling one impacts playing other sources properly is the question.

I can tell you I blew the Sanwa PFX chassis on my buddy's NNC trying to connect MAME through the VGA connector. Had replace the transformer on it (not flyback transformer). Fun learning experience. And as mentioned earlier, I am thinking that is the reason why Cereth had sent out so many working Blast City's only to have them DOA on arrival. For anyone else wanting to connect a PC to a tri-sync monitor, make sure you pull pin 9 on the VGA cable. We'll probably have to work collectively as a community to figure out how each chassis likes its sync (as CSync, as HV, or as either or).

J-pac takes separate H and V sync and combines it. So you sent CSync to the J-pac with the Extron where it got further processed by the J-pac. Not surprising you got a rolling screen. Also, this could have contributed to your chassis failure as sending improper sync to a chassis is known to do that, if that is indeed what you did.

15khz from a PC to a tri-sync monitor is tricky, but it is possible as there are 15khz JVS PCB's like all the Tekken boards. I believe what needs to be done is CSync needs to be outputted to the single proper pin, either 13 or 14 (I believe it should be 13). Enabling CSync in VMMaker and Atom-15 will send CSync to both pins. So the trick is pulling one of the pins, 13 or 14. But which one to pull for sure and if pulling one impacts playing other sources properly is the question.

I can tell you I blew the Sanwa PFX chassis on my buddy's NNC trying to connect MAME through the VGA connector. Had replace the transformer on it (not flyback transformer). Fun learning experience. And as mentioned earlier, I am thinking that is the reason why Cereth had sent out so many working Blast City's only to have them DOA on arrival. For anyone else wanting to connect a PC to a tri-sync monitor, make sure you pull pin 9 on the VGA cable. We'll probably have to work collectively as a community to figure out how each chassis likes its sync (as CSync, as HV, or as either or).
I've read conflicting information about what kind of sync signals the NNC needs. I've seen various sources saying that it can take either RGBHV or RGBS. I have seen several posts from people saying that getting a MAME PC running on their NNC was no big deal. If anyone here has experience with this that would be very helpful.

I've read conflicting information about what kind of sync signals the NNC needs. I've seen various sources saying that it can take either RGBHV or RGBS. I have seen several posts from people saying that getting a MAME PC running on their NNC was no big deal. If anyone here has experience with this that would be very helpful.
NNC has 3 flavors of chassis:
  • Toshiba Pure Flat (which you have)
  • Sanwa PFX
  • and the Wei-ya
So be careful what you read as not all NNC's are built the same. What works for one, may not work for another.

If I set my card to send CSync with the utilities, would that negate my ability to use the JPAC with the other cab as it seems to be expecting HV? Hoping to use the same PC with both cabs.

Leave it as is so you can use it with your J-Pac on a non-tri sync monitor. Probably best to just build another MAME PC for each cab. Keep in mind, if you set up CRT Emu correctly, you should have tailored monitor presets setup in VMMaker.

I know on my Sawna PFX in my NNC, it works with RGBS since I am able to send un-amped RGBS from a console to the Sanwa PFX just fine (through a Sync Strike). But when I send 15khz over RGBHV to the Sanwa PFX, I get no signal. If I were to enable CSync within CRTEmu, then that brings up other challenges in that, as stated earlier, CSync is ouputted on both pins 13 and 14. I'll probably explore this soon. But then again, I have a Sanwa PFX and you have a Tosiba Pure Flat. What works on the PFX might not work for you.

In any case, doesn't help you now. Get that "100% working" chassis from yaton and cross your fingers it gets you back going.

Sorry I've been unresponsive the last few days, I'm kinda crushed atm. I'll be more available after AX

Sorry I've been unresponsive the last few days, I'm kinda crushed atm. I'll be more available after AX
No worries. Having tons of fun with the Astro and I know this'll get sorted out eventually.

Pin 9 should be pulled on any of the VGA cables in that chain.
So I have another VGA cable downstairs and I'm trying hard to remember if it found its way into the mix when I was first plugging in the cab - because this one DOES have a pin 9. If I had plugged that cable into the cab, would that explain the symptoms I described (dim and oddly stretched picture followed by vertical collapse and power cycle when I tried to adjust contrast, and the monitor now not powering on at all)?

Sorry to hear about that bud.

I know @Cereth hes good people and will work with you on what ever is going on.

As for Yaton.. dont ever 100% trust his tested working claims. As others have said, Yaton is like a mixed bag and usually the more expensive the item the more I would be cautious of a purchase.

So I have another VGA cable downstairs and I'm trying hard to remember if it found its way into the mix when I was first plugging in the cab - because this one DOES have a pin 9. If I had plugged that cable into the cab, would that explain the symptoms I described (dim and oddly stretched picture followed by vertical collapse and power cycle when I tried to adjust contrast, and the monitor now not powering on at all)?
Absolutely not. Pin 9 isn't even connected on the breakout board for the DE-15 connector on the Toshiba PF:

tosh_de15_breakout.jpg

You were sold a dud monitor. It happens. Hopefully the seller will sort you out.

Back