What's new
Cool man. Looking good. Toshiba Pure Flat is widely considered the greatest CRT monitor ever made. You lucked out with the Yaton purchase, seriously.

BTW, do you know what chassis model number you bought?

Toshiba PD1843 since it was an exact match for the one that was already in there.

So now a quick question for those with experience using the NNC and/or the Toshiba chassis. My MAME computer outputs a 720p signal when it first boots up, and then once it loads into Windows switches over to 480p which the NNC can handle. Should I wait until I'm sure it's 480p before turning on the cab or will the 720p signal simply cause a "No Signal" on the monitor? I'm gunshy about damaging the chassis.

You can’t install flash atom 15 bios on that video card to change it?

Definitely don't pass through the 720p signal to your monitor or you may damage it

wow, for a Yaton chassis...that looks very good. Glad you got your monitor issue sorted.
I concur!

I bought one of these chassis off Yaton and no matter what I did I couldn't get the colours correct.
After much cursing I gave up and as a last ditch attempt bought an enhanced remote board off eBay. Within minutes I had a lovely vibrant picture so bought another chassis off Yaton as a spare.

You can’t install flash atom 15 bios on that video card to change it?
I tried but ended up with garbled video. If I remember correctly I think I enabled the composite sync option in Atom-15, I'm going to try again without that enabled since I already have the Extron hardware converting the video to RGBS.

Definitely don't pass through the 720p signal to your monitor or you may damage it
Tried flashing Atom-15 again and got the same result, garbled video. So after I turn the PC on I'll wait 30-60 seconds or so to turn on the cab, just to be sure it's past the initial load screens and safely into the 480p desktop. Knock on wood, the new chassis is running great so far!

What video card are you using for your crtemu set up? Driver version? I have a HD 7450 with crtemu drivers and it doesn't display an image until the login screen boots.

What video card are you using for your crtemu set up? Driver version? I have a HD 7450 with crtemu drivers and it doesn't display an image until the login screen boots.
R9 280X, and the most recent version of CRT Emudriver. I used my old Falcon Northwest desktop and when I turn it on, I get a Falcon Northwest logo at 720p before it boots into Windows at 480p.

Tried flashing Atom-15 again and got the same result, garbled video. So after I turn the PC on I'll wait 30-60 seconds or so to turn on the cab, just to be sure it's past the initial load screens and safely into the 480p desktop. Knock on wood, the new chassis is running great so far!
I had the same problem. Good thing I backed up the original BIOS on my ATI card. I had to put the card into another machine and restore it. I think the trick is to NOT check the box for composite sync in Atom and just select the correct hz? Dunno but I ended up not using Atom.

I tried it both ways, with and without composite sync. No dice. And thankfully I could see juuuust enough of the screen that I was able to open a command prompt and get the original BIOS back.

Maybe your boot screen will behave correctly if you feed it some edid information saying the maximum resolution is 640 x 480.
There are small pcb's with an iic eeprom that can be used for that purpose.
720p could be a default when it's not receiving any edid info.

Nah, it's a blessing. The object with MAME in a cab is to completely hide that there is a computer running things under the hood. The BIOS screens are the one thing that cannot be hidden. That the OP's BIOS screens don't show up is a fortunate circumstance.

So Asus motherboards apparently have a utility called MyLogo that can be used to edit or change the image shown when the system launches - so maybe I can do something about that 720 Falcon Northwest logo. Gonna play around with it tomorrow and see what might be possible.

15khz from a PC to a tri-sync monitor is tricky, but it is possible as there are 15khz JVS PCB's like all the Tekken boards. I believe what needs to be done is CSync needs to be outputted to the single proper pin, either 13 or 14 (I believe it should be 13). Enabling CSync in VMMaker and Atom-15 will send CSync to both pins. So the trick is pulling one of the pins, 13 or 14. But which one to pull for sure and if pulling one impacts playing other sources properly is the question.
I know on my Sawna PFX in my NNC, it works with RGBS since I am able to send un-amped RGBS from a console to the Sanwa PFX just fine (through a Sync Strike). But when I send 15khz over RGBHV to the Sanwa PFX, I get no signal. If I were to enable CSync within CRTEmu, then that brings up other challenges in that, as stated earlier, CSync is ouputted on both pins 13 and 14. I'll probably explore this soon. But then again, I have a Sanwa PFX and you have a Tosiba Pure Flat. What works on the PFX might not work for you.
Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I'm really curious. @acblunden2 did you ever figure this out?

Just to sum up. RGBHV over VGA has H-sync going on pin 13 and V-sync going to pin 14. I presume the Sanwa and Toshiba chassis both handle RGBHV over the DE-15 connector correctly, right?

However, my question is, do these chassis handle RGBS over the DE-15 input, and if so is there a standardized spec for this, or do this or is this just an undocumented quirk/feature of the monitor since it needs to support RGBS over the high-impedance connection anyway? You say VMMaker produces the CSync signal on both pins 13 and 14 and that is incorrect, but what is the correct way to do this, and does this monitor support it?

I'm ultimately wondering if I can get away with rewiring a regular SCART connector to a DE-15 pinout and have this work without using some extra circuit to convert RGBS to RGBHV.

I don't want to destroy a chassis by running bad sync signals to it, so I'm hoping to learn from others' experience first :)

is there a standardized spec for this, or do this or is this just an undocumented quirk/feature of the monitor
Looking at the tri-sync helper page, it looks like there's an option to output CSync on pin 13 or HVSync across pin 13 and 14 respectively, so maybe that is the standard way of doing it? Perhaps @invzim knows if this is typically supported by arcade tri-sync monitors.

https://irkenlabs.com/jammafier/tri-sync-helper

Back