What's new

RealMFnG

Legendary
Reaction score
From a Sega Net City. I see NANAO silkscreened on the neckboard. But "NANAO" is not silkscreened on the chassis and the number markings don't match exactly what is shown online.

Is this really a MS2931? What is the distinguishing marker?

NANAOMS2931_1.jpg
NANAOMS2931_3.jpg

Attachments

• NANAOMS2931_2.jpg
    NANAOMS2931_2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Basically, the same image as a Blast City. Doesn’t compare to Sanwa PFX.

Don’t want it?

IMO the MS2933 is pretty great, it's essentially a "bug fixed" MS2931 and pretty hard to come by.

What in particular are you disappointed about? The look of a curved monitor is pretty different to a flat screen like the PFX.

Apples to oranges, they're both awesome monitors

Lacks pop. Image appears flat. Maybe it is a calibration thing which I haven’t gotten to yet. Maybe it could use a recap as colors appear muted. Or maybe it is Virtua Tennis as I haven’t ran anything else on it yet.

Maybe I’ve been wrecked by the the beauty of the Sanwa PFX. Just doesn’t blow me away.

Hmm yeah worth a recap and tuning, you should be able to get it looking pretty great so long as the tube is healthy

Lacks pop. Image appears flat. Maybe it is a calibration thing which I haven’t gotten to yet. Maybe it could use a recap as colors appear muted. Or maybe it is Virtua Tennis as I haven’t ran anything else on it yet.

Maybe I’ve been wrecked by the the beauty of the Sanwa PFX. Just doesn’t blow me away.
I know exactly what you mean.

I have a Sanwa PFX in my NNC and a Nanao 2931 in my Blast. I moved my CPS2 games over to my Blast for the Qsound positioning, and the curve of the screen for some 15khz games. For 31khz, I prefer the PFX.

Other than that, I think the quality is a coin toss for 15khz. The MS293x combo is wondeful once dialed in. The Sanwa PFX has better settings for exact geometry, but if you looked at my monitors you probably couldnt tell unless I pointed it out.

Heres an example, my friend has a 2930, and my 2931 was a Sega Bass Fishing before I converted it. I've been the only owner other than the arcade I bought it from, so we figured that it was closer to its factory settings, and used it as a reference.

We were able to dial in my friends 2930, but it took some work. His chassis required a recap, a diode, and a rejuvenation of the tube aside from a basic settings adjustment. However, now we are looking uniform!

My point being - I'd work with that MS2933. You can get some great quality out of those chassis, and give it a spin with a 15khz game.

People that know much better than me say the MS293x-series is fantastic. Screen curve isn't why I am unimpressed because the MS9 in my Egret II looks fantastic. But yeah, initial impressions aren't great. I had the same reaction to my buddy's Blast City. I still have to calibrate it. Still have to wire a JAMMA loom to it for 15khz. Maybe I have to recap it; but am a little scared to because of this.

Right now, the chassis, frame, tube are drying outside for the day after being washed. Will start calibrating it tomorrow after I put it back together. Convergence on this thing sucks.

Yea man, let me know how it goes!

From personal experience, I'd try the recap first if you can. We did the convergence on my friends tube, and while we weren't completely satisfied, it looked playable. We chucked it up to "Eyy, its a Blast!" and played it for a month. (Blasts have a known convergence problem)

Did the recap later and it fixed some of the convergence to the point where we had to move the strips all over again.

Is this for a Blast or a Windy?

My best looking 31khz monitor is a MS2933. Better than any of my PFs (I have twelve of them, so pretty large sample size). People have come up to me and said whatever game is running on it looks amazing. Planet Harriers looked amazeballs on it.

So yeah, don't count it out just yet!

My best looking 31khz monitor is a MS2933. Better than any of my PFs (I have twelve of them, so pretty large sample size). People have come up to me and said whatever game is running on it looks amazing. Planet Harriers looked amazeballs on it.

So yeah, don't count it out just yet!
Your PSA is scaring me. I am hesitant to give it a full recap job. Rather than a full recap, any caps you would suggest to replace for improved contrast and brightness?

Rather than a full recap, any caps you would suggest to replace for improved contrast and brightness?
Honestly, I'd hit it with a CRT analyzer just to check that the emissions are in spec.

But yeah, there's always a risk doing any work with this chassis.

Crap. Maybe this is why I am unimpressed with the image? And maybe this maybe at the root of some of the issues in nem's PSA?

NetCityNeckPin1.jpg

Just noticed one of the neck pins is completely dislodged. It certainly wasn't a result of me removing the neckboard as I was careful in doing that given the nem's PSA. Thankfully, the pin is still in the neckboard. Now to get some electrically conductive epoxy to repair it.

Attachments

• NetCityNeckPin2.jpg
    NetCityNeckPin2.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 314
Back