What's new

IPD

Professional
Reaction score
I recently acquired my first two CPS2 boards ever. The two B boards are Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter Zero 3, and I also have one A board. All untested. The seller never used them, so we don't know if they work or not.

My knowledge about CPS2 is very limited so I thought I'd take a few photos of the PCBs and ask here for advice before I do any testing with my HAS supergun. Just by looking at the photos, is there anything obvious I should know about the boards?

SFZ-board.jpg

SFZ-case.jpg

SFZ3-board.jpg

SFZ3-case.JPG
CPS2-A-board.jpg

Last edited:
The Alpha could do with a battery change, the zero 3 has probably been phoenixed and doesn’t need one.

The battery is the red cylinder, if it goes flat your board will die.. but can now be easily resurrected.

Congrats man! Nice boards. As mentioned above, the battery should probably be replaced- any of the batteries in CPS2 boards that say "CAPCOM" and have the red band in the middle are the original batteries. My Xmen vs SF board actually came like that, who knows, could have lasted a few more years perhaps? But just to play it safe (unless you're going to throw an infinikey in it) might as well replace. They're cheap enough.

Remove that potential exploding battery and replace it with an undamned infinikey!

Another thing you might want to pay attention to is the revisions of the cps2 boards. Your SF Alpha is a rev 4, and your Zero 3 is a rev 7. You'll notice this looking at the middle near far right of the cps2 boards. Right where it says "CAPCOM" then a series of numbers. The end where it shows 93646B-4 on Alpha and 93646B-7 on Zero 3. Want to point that out in case you do take the battery out of the SF Alpha and want to do an Undamned Infinikey where you can keep original game code and never have to worry about suicide batteries ever again. There is a thread here that explains how the infinikey works and where you can purchase them -- https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/infinikey-cps2.7021/

And a installation tutorial video on youtube as well on all cps2 rev 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 boards --

Last edited:
You might also want to change the fan on the A board, as the originals often sound like a jet engine on takeoff. There are some suggestions for replacement options in this thread.

Lots of great info in this thread, thanks. I'll take a look at testing all boards soon, and I've also ordered one infinikey to replace the battery on my SF Alpha. I'll keep this thread updated with the results. :)

Back