What's new

Escarioth

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello to anyone who can provide help. :)

Currently found an old CPS3 system completely stripped of his old ram + games.

so with time, i manage to find 64ram (2x)+ Darksoft's 128 ram (4x) + multi cart
cd rom is finally plugged in and i'm ready to test this baby :)

aaaaand well.. all i get is a black screen. nothing... not even a pixel.
even with no carts in.

i'm starting to wonder if my system is maybe busted. but i'm not ready to say that yet.
i tryed to clean the whole thing....but it's pretty looking clean.

so here's some pictures along with voltage infos from my cureent PSU
5v = 5.03
12v = 11.39v ( a bit low )

CPS3- board model 95682A-3

also .. i spoted some stuff... that i don't think belong there ...like a cable going from the cart and another resistance

anyone has any ideas of the problem ?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190706_183220.jpg
    thumbnail_20190706_183220.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 697
  • thumbnail_20190706_183252.jpg
    thumbnail_20190706_183252.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Before you do anything else, clean the contacts for the security cart, and really make sure it's seated well. This problem can happen just from the cart not being exactly positioned right.

Reactions: nem
That wire is normal. There is at least 2 revision with jumper wire. Like Aurich said clean the contacts. Next get a light and check the card connector. I recently picked up a non working board that had 4 bent/broken pin. I end up replace the connector and flash the superbios and it worked.

Recently someone posted and had the scsi cable reversed. Make sure it is in correctly

That wire is normal. There is at least 2 revision with jumper wire. Like Aurich said clean the contacts. Next get a light and check the card connector. I recently picked up a non working board that had 4 bent/broken pin. I end up replace the connector and flash the superbios and it worked.
Hmm... I think i see one that is not similar to the others... It looks bent. Ill try using something to put it back to its original position

Just be careful. On my unit the cart connector was not flat when I recieved it. I had a feeling the guy some how lifted it up and when he push it back down the bent some pins

I twisted a little the only pin in the socket that seemed a bit off.

Still black screen....

Does bad ram make this problem happen? My 2x64 are originals i bough from someone.

As for cd player, it runs, i can spot it working while cab is on.

I don't think Simm will do that. Only time I have seen a garbage or black screen. Is when there is no cart, bad connection, or bad cart. Do you have anyone local to test your cart? If the cart end up being bad I can flash it for you on the cheap. I'm just in Vancouver

You can pull all the simms and scsi drive with the cart in and see if there is a difference.

sorry for the being silent.
i was out with family vacation for some days :)

ok now back to business.

1st try
*Jamma harness
*no cart
*no ram
= black screen.

2nd try
*jamma harness
*cart in (DS multi)
*no ram
= Black screen

3rd try
*Jamma harness
*cart in (DS multi)
*Full ram set
= Black screen.

so whatever i do ...i end up with that....
i sadly dont have another cab i could try this out.

but from what i seem to understand it would be cart related.
I tryed many many time with the cart inserted at diferent levels... cleaned the slot ...cleaned the cart ... tryed to move the pins a bit....no success..
or maybe i'm just not lucky with CPS3 :P

maybe something on my unit is busted around that part. i doubt it would be the cart itself since it came directly from Darksoft

Last edited:
how are you cleaning the slot and cart? If you don't have anyone local to you, I can look at it if you don't mind paying shipping both ways

for the cart...well i didnt have to clean since its brand new.
i just merely use some light alcohol and a q-tip.

as for the slot i have some stuff i can use for console slot wich can enter the same.
but after cleaning i couldnt sse any dust or any black stain ...so yeah... im a bit puzzled as why it won't work.

Thx for the offer XeD.
ill consider it. just gimme some time to test further more or hear any other tips :)

I had this exact thing happen to one of my cps3 set ups and it was the motherboard. I still have it so if anything gets found out I'll be very curious and hopefully I can fix mine.

oooh.. this is certainly not helping.

Attachments

• 67450935_10161922136805007_5646428328198930432_n.jpg
    67450935_10161922136805007_5646428328198930432_n.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 253
You can fix that yourself and retest quickly

And.... Just touching the leg made it fell off....
Good news is i found the problem.
Bad news is i think itz dead..

Attachments

• received_350724402511005.jpeg
    received_350724402511005.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
man .. i'm so sad Y_Y ..

guess ill have to buy another system... probably a complete one,
each time i see a cps3 its rarely PCB only ...and most of the time with no memory it can't be tested...

ill probably sell back the memory ive bough from DS (same price no lost, no gain)
ill just wait for a good cps3 deal first.

Back