PS2 Hidden Gems

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• PS2 Hidden Gems

Now that I've completed my perfectly working OPL SMB Raspberry Pi server image...
      [placeholder for image]

I need some kickass games!
      Sure I know what Metacritic says, but I want to hear from you guys.

I've got a 128gb Samsung Evo+ microSD to fill with PS2 games, what should be on here and why!

This is the list so far...
      • Alien Hominid
      • God of War
      • God of War II
      • Gradius V
      • Katamari Damacy
      • Maximo Ghosts to Glory
      • Odin Sphere
      • Okami
      • R-Type Final
      • Shadow of the Colossus
      • Viewtiful Joe
      • We Love Katamari
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 2 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Gitaroo Man - Best rhythm game on the system hands down. Never gets Bemani levels of difficulty, but it has an awesome soundtrack, great story, and unique gameplay.

Hot Shots Golf Fore! - Every game in this series is solid.

Okage: Shadow King - Super amusing little RPG. Immense amount of charm.

I'm also one of the people that thinks Maximo Vs The Army of Zin is actually a better game than Maximo.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • Off the top of my head: Demolition Girl, Mr Moskeeto and Zombie Ambulance for laughs.

Other games I rate: Dragon Sisters, Rez, Ibara, DDP DOJ, Mushihimesama, Homura, Gitaroo Man, Gungrave Overdose, Contra: Shattered Soldier, The Red Star, Yakuza 1 and 2, Okami.

There’s a lot more. I’ll load up my PS2 after work and send through...
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, Naomi, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Supergun: Sentinel Gold / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

The post was edited 1 time, last by djsheep ().

• rewrite wrote:

Gitaroo Man
      Awesome I'm going to check this out now...

rewrite wrote:

Okage: Shadow King
      Interesting, I'm not sure if I'll have the time to really sit with a RPG right now but I'll get it for later.

rewrite wrote:

Maximo Vs The Army of Zin is actually a better game than Maximo
      I'm going to grab it, but yea most people will say its not as good as the first.
      I'll let you know what I think. ;)
    • +1 for Army of Zin being better than the original Maximo.

A few other great PS2 gems that I haven't seen mentioned yet are:

Contra Shattered Soldier: great run-and-gun. One of the last good 2D perspective Contra games.

God Hand: quirky, weird 3D brawler.

Beyond Good and Evil: dark, ominous adventure game. Lots of atmosphere in this one.

Psychonauts: a strange, but amusing 3D platform game. Very good story.

Oni: An early 3D platform brawler from Bungie (the Halo developers). Kind of like Tomb Raider with more guns and acrobatics.

Klonoa 2: A 2D perspective platformer with great art design and solid controls.

Mega Man X8: The last good 2D perspective Mega Man X game. Great art.

Zone of the Enders: Cool sci-fi mech combat simulator with a Kojima-authored story.

Zone of the Enders 2: Better sci-fi mech combat simulator with a Kojima-authored story.

Skygunner: Combat flight simulator with a lot of charm in the characters and story.

Killer 7: An unusual multi-genre shooter with a noire storyline and a strange pastel art design.

Alien Hominid: 2D run-and-gun with a lot of charm in the art and gameplay.

Valkyrie Profile 2: a 2D platforming / 3D combat hybrid action-RPG.

Persona 3: An RPG with fantastic story and art design.

Silpheed: The Lost Planet: Sequel to the Sega CD original rail-shmup developed by Treasure. Doesn't hold a candle to Gradius V, but still worth playing.

Grim Grimoire: Real-time Strategy game with gorgeous 2D hand-drawn art. Developed by Vanillaware of Dragon's Crown fame.

Mister Mosquito: A mosquito flight simulator.

Shadow Hearts: Great RPG with strong combat and story.

Shadow Hearts Covenant: Sequel to above.

Grandia III: Another great but overlooked RPG with beautiful graphics and an unusual Active Time combat system.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ShootTheCore ().

• Getting 'em, awesome guys really filling this thing out thanks!

I'd love to share my OPL SMB Pi build with everyone, I accomplished everything I setout to do...
      • Compact command line only build (built on 4GB microSD before creation of NTFS partition)
      • DHCP Static IP fallback (if DHCP fails, Static IP kicks in and assigns 192.168.1.115)
      • SSH enabled (headless login if connected to router)
      • auto mounting NTFS partition on internal microSD card (best option for speed/file size/name format/future addition and maintenance)
      • Samba server, passing read-only (to prevent corruption) ISOs from NTFS partition
      The only problem here, being I never learned how to properly "zero-out" ext4/NTFS partitions (they compress into nothing)...
      So I decided to just include the ISOs listed above in the image (basically no impact to final zipped file size).
      18GB when 7zip'd tho ouch (built for 32gb minimum microSD cards). :/

The post was edited 9 times, last by jassin000 ().

• From Software's Armored core series of games.
      Rockstar's The Warriros
      Rockstar's Manhunt 2
      Sega Ages 2500 Galaxy Force 2 (the only known GOOD home conversion)
      Quantic Dreams Indigo Prophecy
      Sony Twisted Metal Black
      Working Design Gungriffon Blaze
      Genki Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero and Tokyo Extreme Racer 3
      DefJam Fight for New York, and Def Jam Vendetta
      Burnout 3
      Need for Speed Underground 2
      Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
      Any of the ACE COMBAT games
      NBA Street 2 (not 3, that one sucks)

That's all thats at the top of my head.
      Videogame Historian
      Bench : Scart 2 Jamma Console Conversions (MegaDrive, Saturn, RGB-Nes)
      WANT : Irem M92 | Fallen Angels Daraku Tenshi
      [astrocity] InstaGram [neogeo] My Arcade Projects Photoblog [saturn] My VAPS PCBs [nes-101] My Twitch Channel
    • Here's one, not exactly a hidden gem, and it breaks your highlander rule, but people do forget about it.

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology. Not because you need another arcade port of a game you have original hardware for, but because the Hyper Alpha mode in it is unique, adds wacky stuff to the game you can't get anywhere else, like parries. And as a single player game it beats the arcade stuff because it has a lot more modes and things to mess with against the CPU, as well as the Upper version you can only get otherwise on Naomi.
    • Gonna come outta left field with some these:
      -Chain Dive
      -Altered Beast
      -Akira Pinball
      -Virtua Cop Elite
      -Shinobi/Kunoichi
      -Blood Will Tell
      -Jikkyo Power Pros (MLB Power Pros is good too.)
      -Bomberman Tennis
      -Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
      -Neo Contra
      -Virtua Fighter Anniversary
      -Sega Rally 2006

-Sega Superstar Tennis
      -Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
      -King of the Colosseum games
      -FD-19
      -Critical Velocity
      -Speed Kings
      -Agressive Inline

• Aurich wrote:

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
      Yea, even with basically 124gb of space to play with, I don't got room for that.
      You know my highlander ways haha. ;)

I would nominate Capcom Fighting Jam personally, IF I didn't already have it on Namco 246 (same rule applies). :D
    • kidpanda wrote:

Mushihimesama is a blurry mess on ps2. Avoid it. Dumbest thing I have ever seen.
      I take your Mushi and raise you Ibara PS2. At least yoh can sort of see the bullets and enemies in Mushi. In Ibara all the enemies blur in with the backgrounds. Just a giant brown mess.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • If you want to save card space, and if you have a PS4, the Odin Sphere and Shadow of the Colossus remasters are far superior than the PS2 versions.
      I wouldn’t even bother with the PS2 versions tbh.

SotC looks orders of magnitude better in the up-rez’d PS4 version, it’s also a game that is best enjoyed that the highest visual fidelity.

Odin Sphere has a lot of combat changes that make the game much more enjoyable and purposeful for using the robust, different combos available. Also, the widescreen format lends itself much better for the side scrolling gameplay of this gem.

Both these titles can be had for cheap these days, as well.