What's new
how is the Monitor of the second cab powered?

my psu in the new astro cities only work fine when they have a certain load

I know that my homebrew linking system has a little resistor load on the second cab. I don't know if it's necessary or not to be honest, it was set up that way on the ones we copied and we figured there was a reason for it.

Some power supplies shut off without load, but often those only concern the DC power supplies which would power a JAMMA game, and not the AC part, which is more or less just passed through.

The JAMMA pins for the power are there on my P2 board, so it wouldn't be hard to bodge solder in a load resistor if deemed necessary.

This looks awesome. I already have a pair of River Service VS harnesses, but I feel like these may be easier to deal with, particularly when using flat ethernet cables.

Nice work!

Some power supplies shut off without load, but often those only concern the DC power supplies which would power a JAMMA game, and not the AC part, which is more or less just passed through.

The JAMMA pins for the power are there on my P2 board, so it wouldn't be hard to bodge solder in a load resistor if deemed necessary.
sounds great thanks.

hope it is soon final

@Hatsune Mike

Have you considered getting this to support a 4 player multiplayer set-up? Being able to toggle between P1 vs P2, to propagating P3 and P4 on Cabinet 2's P1 and P2 instead?

Clearly you built this for a versus fighter set-up, but with a bit more re-routing work, and perhaps some clever jumpers, could this be a feature for this as well?

Having a plug-n-play solution for versus setups in indeed handy, but it would also be great if we can have an easy solution like this for 4 player 2 cabinet set-ups. Thoughts?
Any thoughts on this?

@Hatsune Mike

Have you considered getting this to support a 4 player multiplayer set-up? Being able to toggle between P1 vs P2, to propagating P3 and P4 on Cabinet 2's P1 and P2 instead?

Clearly you built this for a versus fighter set-up, but with a bit more re-routing work, and perhaps some clever jumpers, could this be a feature for this as well?

Having a plug-n-play solution for versus setups in indeed handy, but it would also be great if we can have an easy solution like this for 4 player 2 cabinet set-ups. Thoughts?
Any thoughts on this?
Sorry, I'm not really interested in doing a 4P harness any time soon. One big issue with them is that I'm not sure the input system is particularly standardized for them. It'd also be a near doubling of the amount of cabling. It can not be done with just some simple extra routing and jumpers. I'd have to return to an older idea I had, which was to do some multiplexing logic on the P2 side (the earliest iteration of this versus kit used one 10p10c connector, but poor grounding made me abandon that idea).

The current signals that go between P1 and P2:

* P2 Start
* P2 Coin
* P2 Up
* P2 Down
* P2 Left
* P2 Right
* P2Btn 1
* P2Btn 2
* P2Btn 3
* P2Btn 4 (JAMMA and CPS2)
* P2Btn 5 (JAMMA)
* P2Btn 5 / P2 Neo-Geo "Select" (CPS2)
* P2Btn 6 (CPS2)
* DGND
* Test
* Service
* Video Red
* Video Green
* Video Blue
* Video Sync
* AGND
* Line L
* Line R
* Jamma Speaker +
* Jamma Speaker -

Adding just another set of inputs would be quite a lot more connections, so multiplexing would make sense.

It doesn't help that most 4P games are beat em ups, so I'm not really personally motivated to make something like this.

Sorry, I'm not really interested in doing a 4P harness any time soon.
It's honestly a separate thought, that should really be addressed by a separate product (from someone who has an interest or passion in the idea).

I have no idea what the demand for a 4p harness is, it's not something I care about personally, but there's definitely a need for more cab linking solutions, this is a really great idea just the way it is. I'd be personally tempted to stock up on extras when you make them, not just for myself, but to be able to help others later since I can't imagine you have any interest in keeping things in stock long term. I get asked about it a fair amount.

Thanks, Mike. I totally understand.
I might look into just rolling my own for my needs. But I'm still interested in getting my hands on your VS Kit.

It would just be nice to have one adapter that rules them all, but I completely get that it might be a logistical nightmare.

I'll be up for at least one of these. Ethernet cables are a great choice as they allow a quick/easy/cheap solution shorten/extension if cabs are moved. I wanted to have a versus setup on cab1 and cab3 (cab2 being a vert setup in the middle) but the length of loom was just a bit too short to allow it at the time. No longer will that be the case when 20foot ethernet cables are in use 8)

I'll be interested to see if anyone takes on the 3p/4p setup. The main issue I've always had is that different games = different manufacturers = different pinout/connectors. I ended up just making looms as and when I needed, going directly from game board to a standard 12pin AMP connector so that they're compatible with various cab control panels.

Currently have the following
1 x 10 Pin NH JST for CPS1 (C&Ds)
2 x 15 Pin NH JST for Konami (Sunset Riders, Vendetta, Turtles)
1 x 34 Pin DF1B-34DS for CPS2 (AvP)

W.I.P:
2 x 9 Pin TBC connector for Technos (Wrestlefest)
Another 10 Pin if I can pick up Captain Commando

The setup(s) work nicely, but so many looms becomes pretty damn messy. It'd be great if someone could come up with a nice 3p/4p solution, even better if it can accommodate 3&4 cabs, as well and as a 2 cab setup. Money waiting ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2433.JPG
    IMG_2433.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Looks really nice.
If you could add a scart connector to the 2nd cabinet PCb, for streaming purposes that be even more awesome.

Do you already have an idea what they will cost?
You can put me on the waiting list for one of those. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm aware of that. But having it all in One connector would be better instead of having a adpator centipede on the boards.^^

But having it all in One connector would be better instead of having a adpator centipede on the boards.
It would also add unnecessary expense and assembly time for everyone just looking to link some cabs. Every linked cab doesn't need to be streamed.

Mike is perfectly capable of defending his own products mind you, just seems a little weird that everyone keeps asking him to turn this great self-contained idea into some frankensteined beast that does more than it needs to, instead of just enjoying and appreciating what he's created. There's a real need for versus kits, just the way this is fills a niche nicely.

Back