What's new

awbacon1

Champion
Reaction score

There didn’t seem to be any great video out there to help people do this, and I’ve had a few people ask me to burn them discs for games when CHD files were available and ready to get burnable files from. Maybe it’s just me but the fact you can extract images from CHD files didn’t seem to be common knowledge :)

Feedback welcome! Hope this helps someone!

not sure if this video really great...

when extracting CD images which is known to contain subcodes (and target platform may require exact original subcodes writen on the disc) - it is better use CDRDAO TOC/BIN format:
chdman extractcd -I something.chd -o something.toc
(also notice: "-ob something.bin" switch is not required, it should be used if you want to use not default .bin file name)

also, if CHD file is GD-ROM image it will be more handy extract it to common GDI format:
chdman extractcd -I something.chd -o something.gdi
you'll be unable to write GDI on the disc, but at least can use tools like "GD-ROM Explorer" to view or extract it's contents.

That’s why I didn’t mention GDI :) it’s for cd based systems, not GD-ROM. I guess I never consider Naomi based games to be ok CD, even if it’s the same form factor

As far as the syntax of my commands I do use -ob so I can select proper file names for my project. Just how I like to use it and the result is the same

I am going to add to the series. One for HDD images, one for GD-ROm

I'm sure Imgburn can do it, but only as a single session disc/raw write (DAO as you said).
No multi tracks = no TOC/BIN format, MDS/NRG/CDI/IMG's only far as I'm aware.
I guess I never consider Naomi based games to be ok CD, even if it’s the same form factor
It IS CD media, not just the same size/form factor, it IS.
The difference is the pit spacing on track 3, GDROM writes these closer together than a normal drive laser can read/write (and is how they are achieving greater storage capacity than 700MB).
Think of it as high density CDROM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Imgburn can do it, but only as a single session disc/raw write (DAO as you said).
Ok, that's good. It's been maybe decades since I had to write CDs! The image I just burned (using chdman -o file.tao) with imgburn did work, but i was only prompted to load the bin (and didn't see a way to load the toc). I dove into the settings afterwards and it does look like it's on DAO/SAO as the default.

Do you know any windows software that uses cdrdao, or can write a disc with toc subchannel data?
no, but I suppose there might be cdrdao win32 port or some image converters like toc2ccd or smth.

Think of it as high density CDROM.
well, yes and no.
is it uses CD standard data recording and encoding methods ? - yes.
is it uniform media like CDs ? - no, there is 3 areas with different physical characteristics: LD area, security ring, HD area.
is it uses fully CD standard service data ? - no, CDs can not be larger than 100min, because all the positioning/addressing at physical media is MM:SS:FF in BCD. GDs have it hacky extended, so next after 99th min will be A0min, and so on until F9min.

Back