What's new

Matsubuya

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi,

I received my multi kit from saveyourgames your games last week and installed it onto my Marvel vs Capcom board which is rev 5 and G Pal. I followed all the steps in the instructions; remove mask roms and eproms, I removed the battery from the board, tested the continuity of the jumper configuration, installed the mod, formatted my micro sd card to FAT32, copied the latest base rollup pack onto the micro sd, soldered the key writing wires and plugged it in, finally hooked it up to my arcade machine and I can select the games on the LED screen, it writes the key but all I'm left with is a black screen.

Did I miss a step? Any ideas what I need to fix?

Here are some photos of the setup: https://imgur.com/gallery/g2RYc5m

Thanks

I'm now getting a blue screen after the key writing finishes. Hopefully this is a good sign. I also upped the voltage of the power supply to 5.1v

Did you try shorting EXC5?
Hi PascalP, thanks for the reply. How exactly do I do that? I'm a bit of a tech noob
Look for a component called EXC5 near the battery, on the bottom is has 3 pins.
Take a flathead screwdriver or something and short the pins together.
This will drain EXC5 and any previously stored key is 100% removed from the memory.

Of course do this with power disconnected from the board ;)

Ok I've done what you said and I'm still getting a blue screen. maybe I should try formatting the sd card again. Are they any other files I need to put on the card apart from the cps2 base rollup pack from Smokemonster?

Ok at least you now know for sure no old key is stored still.
No other files needed besides the pack from smokemonster.
Are you using a Windows machine? As linux can give some issues

It's not lifted but looks different than the other pads now. Covered in residue and the copper looks worn down. I scratched off the residue with a pin so the solder could make contact but I accidentally slipped a little with the soldering iron and the tiny copper wire on the board that looks like it was running to CLOCK came off the board. See: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...4/599878828113920030/JPEG_20190714_182407.jpg
Do I need to fix this? Things are going from bad to worse!

Oh boy... now that trace is lifted for sure...
Better see where that trace goes and jump it, but to be honest I would suggest sending it in to someone who can properly repair it.

You’re in N.A.?

Last edited:
I was afraid you'd say that. Australia.
Is it possible to send the entire thing to someone to get it working?

It's not lifted but looks different than the other pads now. Covered in residue and the copper looks worn down. I scratched off the residue with a pin so the solder could make contact but I accidentally slipped a little with the soldering iron and the tiny copper wire on the board that looks like it was running to CLOCK came off the board. See: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...4/599878828113920030/JPEG_20190714_182407.jpg
Do I need to fix this? Things are going from bad to worse!
sir,for the future projects you wanna make , maybe this can helps you to make the things little easier . tweezers and (i'm using370 celsius on my iron station) your solder iron station... and don't keep the iron too much on pads (1 sec and let go , but first put flux on pads). always use flux on every place you want to put solder, the solder love flux , like fish in water.

here you can see how can you pre tin your cables ...

Last edited:
Yep good call, I should have studied up a bit more before attempting the soldering. Live and learn.

It's very easy to destroy the pads if too much heat is used - in the picture you can see the solder isn't smooth and shiny, that means it's been overheated (if it cracks it's a cold solder joint and hasn't been heated enough)

It happens :) should be able to be fixed though - where in Aussie land are you?

Back