What's new
Bootlegs/repro's/something would make a lot more sense than a multi. SH3 CPU's got discontinued, and finding them in large quantities isn't terribly easy.
There is an open source implementation of the SuperH instruction set: http://j-core.org/index.html
They implement SH-2 and some SH-3 instructions that are not covered by patents, though I have no idea if it is possible to reach the required performance of the 133Mhz SH-3 on an FPGA board.

Of course, looking at the cost of the originals and that they're using mostly off-the-shelf hardware I'm surprised that there aren't many bootlegs?
The sound ROMs would still need to be desoldered, reprogrammed, and soldered back down every time you converted a game.

Bootlegs/repro's/something would make a lot more sense than a multi. SH3 CPU's got discontinued, and finding them in large quantities isn't terribly easy.
What about these? http://j-core.org/roadmap.html

Says the J3 is/will be SH3 compatible. Not sure if it's actually been manufactured or not.

What about these? http://j-core.org/roadmap.html
Says the J3 is/will be SH3 compatible. Not sure if it's actually been manufactured or not.
There don't seem to be changes since 2016, so most likely dead...

I think a bootleg is possible if you can secure a few hundred of the required CPUs ( 6417709S-133 ) and are able to layout/manufacture PCBs suitable for that speed...

They implement SH-2 and some SH-3 instructions that are not covered by patents, though I have no idea if it is possible to reach the required performance of the 133Mhz SH-3 on an FPGA board.
I'm not sure either. Sure would be nice though!

I was just giving a partial reason as to why bootlegs weren't really a thing.

... and I'm just throwing ideas at the wall how more people can get access to games based on cave hardware. ;) I'm considering a bigger project after the PGM boards, but I don't think I can design for higher clock speeds.

... and I'm just throwing ideas at the wall how more people can get access to games based on cave hardware. ;) I'm considering a bigger project after the PGM boards, but I don't think I can design for higher clock speeds.
In the event you move forward with this, I've a CV1000 PCB I'd be willing to lend out (and wouldn't be devastated if anything happened to it in the process).

In the event you move forward with this, I've a CV1000 PCB I'd be willing to lend out (and wouldn't be devastated if anything happened to it in the process).
Thanks for the offer, but at the moment this is probably outside my skill range...

This is probably a good discussion for one of the other cave multi threads, lets not hijack Hammy's thread :P

@Hammy I’m not 100% what the donor board for this is, but I most likely have it. So I would be willing to test :D

I can't afford a gun nail so you don't have a chance in hell of cave conversions coming out of this laboratory.
The best cave game is steep slope sliders anyway. best snowboarding game of all time. Give it a try on the STV, you won't be disappointed.

Regarding this nmk conversion, it looks like the resolution is a 'regular' conversion requirement.
Next to fix the i/o to continue with the rom patching.

There is no donor board as nothing works yet?
Any game is better than macross with no sprites, no sound or coin input ( and backgrounds that turn bad ) so there is nothing to be missed at the moment.

*bad joke*

Last edited:
Back