What's new
You can play it however you like.

Macross 2 is running without crashing on mame now,
Won't coin up but runs the attract loop with the wrong GFX roms quite well. This must be a typo as the inputs look unchanged between the hardware.
With the correct gfx it may be alright. (or not, a red tint again?? lol)

Got to move onto hardware as the video ram stuff is not the same in mame.
The games use more v ram at 130000 than mame allocates... I am getting upto 13ffff being used by the <original> software.
The address map says it only goes up to 130007. Hmmm... undocumented? no idea without board tests.

I've got a dildo on it's way :) looks like A LOT of socketing but hopefully I'll be able to do some testing for you once I get it in.
Can you be trusted with roms if you can't keep the next game quiet...?
Please don't bring it up or project spank' em is doomed.

I really hope not. But if any of the boys want to help and can't source a PCB they can have mine.

if that's the result of my fuck-up then I'll do what I can to mitigate the damage.

Interesting, but my grail conversion would be Robocop into Night Slashers. ;)

How did you configure the CRTC to run with a 384 pixel wide active area? Have you tried this on hardware yet?

can't load the board with gfx roms as the element got damaged in my hakko due to careless handling :/
have got *some* of the backgrounds working now but they go out of spec because of the tile pages or rom banking.

it's progressing quite quick, still can't get it to coin or the sprites to show, the gfx is getting there
on the hardware some stuff will act different, it will be interesting!

@Hatsune Mike if you want to tinker i can send the roms so far ;)

At the moment it's running at 320x224 according to the snapshot, unknown how it will run on pcb.

Attachments

• 0000.png
    0000.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 204
Mm, before putting too much more in I'd de-risk the CRTC config on the [redacted] PCB, as I expect it has a different dot clock among other things.

I appreciate the offer to check out the ROMs, but I haven't got that particular PCB.

What's the plan for Gunnail's sound?

Would anyone be willing to share (in PM to avoid issues) which donor game is used so that I might try and get one before the prices blow out? :P

A good reason not to share is to not let prices blow out. This is one of several ethical dilemmas associated with releasing conversion mods to the public.

I would recommend not goldrushing towards a board until the horizontal active raster is solved.
They'll blow out anyway thanks to this thread, unfortunately.

Announcing it ahead of time like this will just see all the cheaper NMK boards sell off / go up in price until the actual title is announced, and then those will disappear then skyrocket.

Just the nature of this, I guess.

Back