What's new

thrasherx

Beginner
Reaction score
I recently got my first original cabinet: a 2P Astro City. I bought it from a FB seller in California. I had it in my garage, hooked up to a few different JAMMA boards, and everything seemed fine. While cleaning out the cabinet with a shop vac and air compressor, I smelled the distinct smell of burning electronics, but didn’t see any smoke or fire. Now, the monitor doesn’t turn on. No static crackle or blank raster image. Audio works, and I also verified +5V from the PSU. I discharged and removed the chasis from the machine. Where do I start with the troubleshooting process?

Visual inspection of the monitor chassis (grab a magnifying glass). If it smells bad, it likely left visible evidence of what broke.

Did you verify the chassis is getting power to it? Check the cable that plugs into the chassis for AC. Also check the fuse.

But for the future: Don't work clean cabs while they're running. Also maybe don't use power tools for cleaning. A little elbow grease goes a long way.

Last edited:
Yeah the cabinet was off while cleaning. I’ll take a close look now that I have the chasis removed and check for 120V st the monitor harness. Both fuses on the chasis look to be good (will check with multimeter).

I’ve been told that it’s not likely to be the fly back if it’s not showing any signs of life.

Thanks!

Blind as in audio without video? If so, yes. The MV1C uses 12V for mono audio, so the only thing left on the PSU side is -5V.

I just checked for 120V at the chasis and I do have it. Not sure where to look for B+ voltage. Still no signs of life- no crackle, no pop when discharging the tube, obviously no picture.

Any other ideas of what to check?

I just checked for 120V at the chasis and I do have it. Not sure where to look for B+ voltage. Still no signs of life- no crackle, no pop when discharging the tube, obviously no picture.

Any other ideas of what to check?
F902 is the B+ testing location. You're looking for 94v.

Back