What's new

acid2k1

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or maybe help me with some of my questions.

I have got a bar/pub in the UK and I'm looking to have some retro arcade machines in there but looking at suppliers they want 4k for them and I found that slightly expensive and I thought I build one myself so after doing more research into licences and law I understand that I cannot use MAME or any type of emulators due to licence / copyright (correct me if I am wrong). I understand if i buy a PCB like CPS1, CPS2 or JAMMA boards that are not bootleg I can use them in public place?

I can't find any tutorials on how to build one from scratch. I think I know the basics on what I need but it's configuring it and setting it up I'm slightly confused.

Can I use LCD screen with any board or is there certain boards allowed?
How do I setup a coin mech? I can buy a door and a coin mech but how do you programme it to the board? Is it simply plug and play or soldering?

I know there a lot more that I have not mentioned but I'm just looking into it at the moment and hopefully I get a better understanding how it all works with your help.

Thank you

I understand if i buy a PCB like CPS1, CPS2 or JAMMA boards that are not bootleg I can use them in public place?
Legal yes
I can't find any tutorials on how to build one from scratch. I think I know the basics on what I need but it's configuring it and setting it up I'm slightly confused.
Plans exist, but honestly its far quicker, cheaper and easier (believe it or not) to repair an existing cab that has been gutted/left for dead.
Can I use LCD screen with any board or is there certain boards allowed?
Only the more modern arcade systems like Naomi, Namco 2x6, Taito X2, etc.
Definitely NOT CPS1/2/3 or JAMMA boards, unless you are willing to invest in scaler equipment as well.
How do I setup a coin mech? I can buy a door and a coin mech but how do you programme it to the board? Is it simply plug and play or soldering?
Buy a coin mech and a door with a microswitch, connect the switch to the JAMMA harness or JVS IO (or I guess FastIO)...
Arcade boards use dip switches and software menus to set pricing/number of coin drops.

Thank you for your fast reply and useful information.

Has you mentioned there a few types of boards out there. Do you need a type of cabinet for the type of board you buy?

Is there particular board that you recommend or they just the same depending on the game you get (hope that makes sense).

You said you need to get a scaler equipment for lcd. Is that the JAMMA to VGA board I see online?

Is there a lot of soldering involved to get these arcades up and running or is the purpose of a kick harness a plug and play adapter so you don’t need to solder?

Thank you again

Do you need a type of cabinet for the type of board you buy?
Yes, if your interest is in running a Naomi unit then you would want a JVS equipped cab.
If you wanted CPS1 or 2, a JAMMA equipped cab with a kickharness.

JAMMA cabs are CRT based, JVS cabs can be either CRT or LCD depending.
FastIO is exotic and only for Taito X systems, comes as an adapter kit.
Is that the JAMMA to VGA board I see online?
Likely, but when it comes to scalers QUALITY MATTERS!
Don't expect good results from some China made Gongobs hunk of shit.

I had one of these... Gave it away for free because its trash, DO NOT BUY!
512Ex2bN5tL._SX425_.jpg

Today what you want is the OSSC...
AnTQCtt.jpg

But unfortunately this brings us to what will be a major issue...
Is there a lot of soldering involved to get these arcades up and running
For a quality, custom built, scaler equipped, LCD based arcade machine?
Are you joking? Fuck yes!

Also not a ton of information exists about these types of setups because again they are custom built.
I really don't think you are up to the challenge, not without LOTS more reading and practice soldering/crimping/etc.

The closest you are going to get to plug'n play would be using a supergun like the HAS or Sentinel inside the machine body.
17163814537_1ce3f58bbb_z.jpg

Outputting to a OSSC, and finally displaying on the LCD of the cab...
Hardest part would then be controls, but you can get these DB15 breakout PCBs so at least you don't have to solder anything.
70126846.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much!

What you provided is very useful and yes I agree I do need to do more research. What you said about plug and play is the route I probably will take but I think I will look around here and get more knowledge first.

On what you said this is what I got in my head in regards to plug and play please correct me if I am incorrect:

Get a cabinet (hopefully get a dead one like you said)
Get a game (CSP1,CSP2 or JAMMA)
Get a Supergun
get DB15 for the controllers.

basically plug the game into the supergun, plug the controllers into the supergun with the help of the DB15 connectors, hook up a CRT (I got to buy a scaler for LCD?), place it in the cabinet and theoretically that should play?

I appreciate your time you have given to help me!

Probably important to know, what games do you actually want to run? Different games require different setups. @jassin000 is giving you good advice in general, but if your answer is “asteroids, pac man, mortal kombat, and crazy taxi” then we will have some other specific advice...

Probably important to know, what games do you actually want to run? Different games require different setups. @jassin000 is giving you good advice in general, but if your answer is “asteroids, pac man, mortal kombat, and crazy taxi” then we will have some other specific advice...
Hi,

Yes, I was looking at the classics. I was thinking maybe start off with PACMAN and then a fighting game like street fighter or mortal kombat. It's down to what I can get first basically. Are they completely different setups than I suggested above? Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated and Yes Jassin000 has been very helpful.

Thank you

The original Pacman/Ms Pacman PCB is very old, I say go for the Namco class of 81 version.
s-l300.jpg

It will be more reliable, and more readily available.

The original Pacman/Ms Pacman PCB is very old, I say go for the Namco class of 81 version.
s-l300.jpg

It will be more reliable, and more readily available.
Thank you,

I was thinking as well I'm assuming I will have two plugs coming from the cabinet if I was going by the setup I suggested above. One from the monitor and one from the supergun?

^^yep, that's one piece of game-specific advice. A lot of "classics" use non-jamma, which makes it harder to use in a 'grab any old cab and refub it' scenario. So you can sometimes find updated versions (that namco class of '81 is one that I have) that work better. That one in particular still requires some specific button wiring, but it's a lot easier to use than the original in my opinion. There are some other good 'licenced' jamma X-in-1 boards that should be legal to use in your environment. I can't think of the exact names off the top of my head but hopefully someone else can chime in.

Mortal kombat is going to need special control panel, the 5 button layout with the block in the middle is fairly unique. Street Fighter is a 6 button layout, but more common.

Also pacman needs a monitor set in vertical orientation, sf/mk are horizontal. So if you go the route of finding any-old-cab then you'll want to make sure you can mount the monitor vertically, otherwise it's the one you're using for the fighters!

MK and in fact the entire Midway family (Y/T/Wolf Unit) is a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS to get working with OSSC/LCD monitors.
OSSC only wants to process it in 3x mode, and most LCDs won't display that, so you'll also likely need a iScan DVDO.

It's a giant setup that's hard to fit inside a cab when your done.
For this reason if you want to go Midway anything, I highly recommend you use CRT (you know its serious if I'm recommending a CRT).

MK and in fact the entire Midway family (Y/T/Wolf Unit) is a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS to get working with OSSC/LCD monitors.
OSSC only wants to process it in 3x mode, and most LCDs won't display that, so you'll also likely need a iScan DVDO.

For this reason if you want to go Midway anything, I highly recommend you use CRT (you know its serious if I'm recommending a CRT).
Thank you, I only keep mentioning LCD because I just feel its lighter, thinner and better quality but I see it's not straight forward as I thought ha.

Last edited:

For this reason if you want to go Midway anything, I highly recommend you use CRT (you know its serious if I'm recommending a CRT)
Arcade.jpg

I just done a quick layout and this is what I got in my mind on how I think it works and what I need. I explain briefly:

Coin mech connects to the PCB (not sure how it connects)
PCB connects to the SUPERGUN.
Joystick & buttons connects to the DB15.
DB15 connects to the SUPERGUN.
Monitor connects to the SUPERGUN.
SUPERGUN & Monitor connects to the power supply.
All above should fit in the cabinet...

If it's older games like PACMAN I should use Nameco version 81 instead of SUPERGUN.

Correct me if I'm wrong on anything :)

Thanks guys!

edit: I forgot about speakers. i'm not sure if it plugs into the PCB or SUPERGUN. I'm assuming I will also plug them into the powersupply.

Last edited:
If it's older games like PACMAN I should use Nameco version 81 instead of SUPERGUN.
instead of with a supergun...
You'll still need the supergun for power and controls to the board... You can just take the video directly from the game.

I only recommend using the class of 81 board because the originals are very problematic after all these years.
Also for compactness, the OG board has a daughter board and is rather large.

Depends on the cab you end up with.

Superguns replace the jamma harness and some other guts of a cab. But if you end up with a crt cab then it’ll have its own jamma harness likely. JAMMA is the standard for games ~1987 to ~1998. It is just a wiring and pin setup that everyone decided to make common. It’s power, buttons, video, etc.

It’s not the norm to stuff a supergun inside of a cabinet. They’re primarily for playing games without a cabinet really. They are very useful if you want to run older jamma games in a newer LCD cab like a Vewlix. Or if you end up with a cab and a dead tube and want to convert it to lcd, then Supergun is one way to get the video signal ready for a scaler, so you can send it to an lcd.

But if you go pick up an old crt cab, short story, no supergun needed.

But if you go pick up an old crt cab, short story, no supergun needed.
Right, the advice to get the supergun was just to avoid the painfully custom nature of converting a cab to LCD screen.
If you buy a CRT based JAMMA cab you won't need it.

Thanks for the reply both I really do appreciate the support.

I been doing more research, say if I did not go down the SUPERGUN route and I go down the proper route for a cabinet I think all I need is a JAMMA wire harness, Arcade switching power supply and a ATX power supply?

Thanks

Is it worth building your own when you can get fully working jamma cabs for £250 or less in the UK?
Where are you based in the uk?

Maybe it's a better idea to get someone else to maintain / operate the games if you are this unsure?
There are people with old machines ready to put them on location and maintain them for the profit share.

Back