What's new

SabreAZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty soon, I plan to run some events on new versus city cabs that I want to stream. I will eventually upgrade my cps boards with the digital AV boards, but for now, I want to use rgb scart with my ossc for streaming.

My question is. What is the preferred jamma board to use? I see the retroelectronik boards go for like $25 bucks, but I obviously dont trust them due to their supergun issues.

Are there any recommended boards to use? And what kind of issues will I deal with? I hear weak dark video signals tend to be an issue?

I just want to know what is worth buying and the potential issues. Thanks guys

I don't stream, but I believe the biggest issue is going to be the strange/off spec syncs from the OSSC into your capture device.
Just like many LCDs won't play nicely with the OSSC, capture has the same restrictions/issues.

Let's ask @SmokeMonster if he has any advice, I believe he works with OSSC+capture.

yeah I should have probably asked what capture devices play nice as well as I'm sure that is a major factor

I need to get my OSSC into my chain. So far I've been going: arcade PCB > HAS > Voultar Double Penetration > Datapath Vision E1 & PVM

It works but I still haven't got a super sharp, clean picture yet. I need to really dial in the Datapath better.

And on the subject of Superguns. Never plug one into your OSSC unless it has an active video and audio circuit. SGs that will play well with OSSC (and not fry it) would be the HAS, Sentinel, Minigun, and Parsec. The simple RGB passthrough types (every other SG ever made) can damage your equipment since they simply pass through whatever RGBS & audio (speaker level often) that the PCB puts out. You want a buffer between that and your expensive equipment basically, plus they will give you a much better picture.

ah yes, that sounds like a much better option. Thanks guys!

I don't know what the Splitfire delay is but I haven't heard anything about when it's gonna be available in months.

@SabreAZ I'm running a similar setup in my own New Versus City capture configuration: SCART RGB interface feeding into OSSC. Not near my cabs at the moment but I believe I'm using this one in the interim:

https://www.smallcab.net/smallcab-jamma-scart-p-756.html

I don't plan to keep this as the permanent setup but for a budget item I'm pretty happy with it. RGB levels can be dialed in on the board itself and it all looks pretty good running to my LCD at 3x scale via OSSC. Been mainly running CPS2 on it for reference. I don't have a stream PC ready yet so I can't comment on capture device compatabilty. Hopefully that will happen soon.

yeah I noticed the wait seems to be massive.

Thank you for your alternative. Much appreciated!

I have streamed from my cabs with that Retrolink board. It works pretty well. I am on the wait list for a Splitfire however.

The Retrolink board requires you to use an Audio adapter that is super finicky. The picture however is actually pretty good through the OSSC and a Camlink Capture.

I've used the Retroelectronik for some time now, and yes you need to add your own audio attenuation. I would wait to get a Splitfire. The device works well paired with an OSSC and Elgato CamLink or Datapath E1/E1S.

I'll put another vote in for the splitfire... even though they're not widely available yet. I am using it with the OSSC as well.

I don't know what the Splitfire delay is but I haven't heard anything about when it's gonna be available in months.

@SabreAZ I'm running a similar setup in my own New Versus City capture configuration: SCART RGB interface feeding into OSSC. Not near my cabs at the moment but I believe I'm using this one in the interim:

https://www.smallcab.net/smallcab-jamma-scart-p-756.html

I don't plan to keep this as the permanent setup but for a budget item I'm pretty happy with it. RGB levels can be dialed in on the board itself and it all looks pretty good running to my LCD at 3x scale via OSSC. Been mainly running CPS2 on it for reference. I don't have a stream PC ready yet so I can't comment on capture device compatabilty. Hopefully that will happen soon.
I do this right now as well.

With OSSC, some boards seem to work for me with my Elgato 60 Pro, but others dont.
I then bought a USB3HDCAP capture card, which seems to eat everything, so I recommend that for capturing.

I have some issues with the RGB levels being a bit lower than I'd like, leading to dark captures.
I'll go ahead and replace this with something buffering the output properly soonish.

A sample capture can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVwbwg6k2c

Image of setup: https://i.imgur.com/bdjkeIM.jpg

for the smallcab jamma to scart, what scart cable can I safely use? I just need a temp solution until I can get a splitfire

Yeah the missing mono Jamma audio is an issue for me as well. Is there anything easy to install into the capture chain that can handle this? I know Splitfire is capable but we're still waiting on that at the moment.

yes, mike suggested using a ground loop isolator and voltage divider. I am going to prototype up something for my blast cities. I use the official vs link to split off the video and stereo piggybacks for audio. but I can't stream mono only jamma games that way with sound. So I plan to build a hanging in-line module that connects to the mono audio connector and splits off the amplified mono audio as a line level dual mono over stereo aux cable.

Back