What's new
So apparently my KOV is actually KOV Plus, It looks like someone upgraded it as it has non-original labels on all the roms :-/
KOV Plus is just a single eprom swap, all the other roms are the same as regular KOV.

KOV Plus is just a single eprom swap, all the other roms are the same as regular KOV.
well, I took the regular KOV ROM from MAME and applied the patch and the PGM wouldn't boot the cart, it acted as if there was no cart installed.

well, I took the regular KOV ROM from MAME and applied the patch and the PGM wouldn't boot the cart, it acted as if there was no cart installed.
Thanks for testing. That's the same behavior I got with KOV Plus too. Right now MAME only simulates the protection device for these carts as there is no dump for it, but maybe at a future time this can be revisited.

Anyhow KOVSH and KOVSH Plus would be the more "definitive" versions of this game and at least the patch works on those (KOVSH Plus yet to be confirmed, but KOVSH confirmed).

Right now MAME only simulates the protection device for these carts as there is no dump for it, but maybe at a future time this can be revisited
unlikely, these MCUs (IGS027A) internal firmware can't be dumped in some easy way, like put chip in some reader device.
afaik it can not be dumped in "hard way" too, even if somehow force this chip to run (homebrew) code from external ROM, owr code can't read internal ROM because that area is "execute only" or smth like that, so can not be read as data, but only executed as code.
very good protection / security I'd say.

so, the chances IGS027A type MCUs will be dumped and emulated in near future is close to zero.

I'm technically interested in this thread, and tried replacing KoV SH's program rom with an eprom that contains ddpdokblkbl's program experimentally. It boots and looks working though of course sounds and graphics are broken. So, probably once I replace other roms, it will work perfectly.

On the other hand, for other conversions, it looks bootleg roms need to be placed at 0x00000000 of the main 68k's memory space. Comments in mame's pgm.cpp says these roms in the cart overwrite the PGM BIOS that should be originally placed there, and this results in skipping the PGM splash. However, how this can be done just by replacing roms in the cart? Original donors do not map any rom to the 0x00000000, but place an original program roms at 0x00100000. As an experiment, I changed mame to keep the original BIOS rom at 0x00000000, and place latter parts of the bootleg rom from 0x00100000. It boots the PGM BIOS, but a game in the cart wasn't recognized.

Has anyone made a guide for the TTL/Pal/Any Jumpers needed for the conversions? (esp ketsui) and maybe the rom locations.

Last edited:
Just updated both Martial Masters and KOV2: Nine Dragons - thanks again @kuze!
Anyhow KOVSH and KOVSH Plus would be the more "definitive" versions of this game and at least the patch works on those (KOVSH Plus yet to be confirmed, but KOVSH confirmed).
I was hoping to pick up a copy of KOV Plus as i heard that there are significant game play differences between KOV/KOV+ & SH/SH+ (extra characters aside).
Missing levels, shorter lengths in the SH titles...

Just updated both Martial Masters and KOV2: Nine Dragons - thanks again @kuze!
I was hoping to pick up a copy of KOV Plus as i heard that there are significant game play differences between KOV/KOV+ & SH/SH+ (extra characters aside).Missing levels, shorter lengths in the SH titles...
Np! I thought it was the opposite? Extra paths, more content in SH?

Would be awesome to see a full write-up on the exact differences.

I'm curious what's going on with those green wires though. Is he changing the pin mapping? would that be something that could be done with a custom GAL?
That seems most likely to me.If anyone could probe the PAL, there should be address lines on one side (inputs) and /CE lines on the other side (outputs).
Then with the information in MAME it should be possible to handcraft a new PAL with the correct memory mapping.
I'd be more than happy to send you a Ketsui, DOJBL and a PGM Motherboard to decipher the PAL mapping etc. Shipping to NZ is quite cheap, I'd be happy to pay the shipping both ways.

It's getting interesting, I've received 2 carts and a working motherboard from @oneleaf86, many thanks to him.
I'm going to write a tutorial on how to achieve those conversions (for Ketsui and DOJBL) the way Joerg does them then I'll see if I can reduce the number of patching wires required.

Very nice. I would have offered my ketsui as well but oneleaf was much closer. Thanks for doing this, the PGM needs the documentation if nothing else.

I'm going to write a tutorial on how to achieve those conversions (for Ketsui and DOJBL) the way Joerg does them then I'll see if I can reduce the number of patching wires required.
This would be most excellent. I've been putting this off since it's unclear which cart PCBs are viable donors and what wire patching is necessary.

It's getting interesting, I've received 2 carts and a working motherboard from @oneleaf86, many thanks to him.
Hi Apocalypse.

What game was used in the Ketsui conversion?

Hi Apocalypse.
What game was used in the Ketsui conversion?
If you read the 1st page of the thread he already provided some info on donor cart candidates.

Hi Apocalypse.What game was used in the Ketsui conversion?
If you read the 1st page of the thread he already provided some info on donor cart candidates.
Yes, I know it, but I want to use the same one as in the tutorial! :)

DoDonpachi Dai Ou Jou Black Label conversion on Knight of Valour Super Heroes:

I can't guarantee there's no mistake in the information given, I don't have any donor cart to do the conversion from scratch myself.
Also file names in the MAME romsets don't correspond to the donor used here so I've tried to figure this out.
The model cart being borrowed from @oneleaf86, I don't want to mess to much with it (i.e. desoldering chips and dumping them).

Donor PCBs look like this:

Link to the needed files:
http://www.filedropper.com/ddpdojblkbl

Chips needed:
- 1 * 27C322
- 4 * MX26L6420
- 1 * MX29L3211

Burn the files in the appropriate devices:
ddp_doj_u1.bin => 27C322 (U1)
t04401w064.u19 => MX26L6420 (U11)
a04401w064.u7 => MX26L6420 (U1)
a04402w064.u8 => MX26L6420 (U3)
b04401w064.u1 => MX26L6420 (U6)
m04401b032.u17 => MX29L3211 (U4)

Hardware mod:

PROG board:
1) Pull ROMs U1 & U11
2) Install new U1 and U11 but don't solder pin 23 of U11, lift it
3) Connect lifted pin of U11 to 3.3V from left pad of U13 (see top right corner of first pic)

GFX/SAMPLES board:
1) Pull ROMs U1, U3, U4 & U6.
2) Install new U1, U3, U4 & U6 but don't solder pins 23, lift them. Pin 1 of U4 must also be lifted.
3) Connect lifted pins of U1, U3, U4 & U6 to 3.3V from U13

Last edited by a moderator:
Back