What's new

SmokeMonster

Champion
Reaction score
I decided to spice up my neglected little one slot MV-1C with some long over due work while I watched a movie.

DSC6109.jpg

I decided to re-do my old full recap job since it was one of my first attempts, long before I had nice soldering and desoldering stations and quality caps. I also cleaned up my old rechargeable battery mod. The NeoBiosMasta/Unibios were installed long ago, but I did recently update it to v3.3.

DSC6111.jpg

I also removed the mono amplified audio circuit and replaced it with line-level stereo audio output, with jacks mounted on the plastic chassis.

DSC6112.jpg

I also added a little red pilot light up top and a simple blue LED strip in front of the cart slot.

DSC6115.jpg

DSC6116.jpg

Now it matches my customized HAS and lights up carts ;)

DSC6117.jpg

No need to consolize it since the pure HAS looks and works so much better.

DSC6119.jpg

DSC6120.jpg

DSC6122.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job,

What battery holder are you using? Also, do those coin cells last long on your MV-1C? They only tend to last about 5 days on the few MV-1C's I've ever owned.

Beautiful set-up
Nice job :thumbup:

Now I feel the need to get one MV-1C for modding :)
It's nice to not have to cut/drill metal to dress up the MV1C. I highly recommend picking one up :D

Nice job,

What battery holder are you using? Also, do those coin cells last long on your MV-1C? They only tend to last about 5 days on the few MV-1C's I've ever owned.
This is the holder, which I added legs to and use with a rechargeable LR2032. I couldn't find a socket with the correct leg spacing. I'm not sure how long they last since it's usually boxed up for months between use. They seem to last a while in Dreamcasts.

Last edited:
Every other MVS I've had has done just fine a 2032 except the MV-1C.

My current MV-1C drains a 4400Mah battery in about ~30 days.

Looking good there buddy, goes together well with RGB's HAS :thumbup:

You should think about adding a plexi base on it that would support both the MV & the HAS.

Great job!

This is exactly what I was looking into doing last night.

Question:
On the stereo output, what pin do you use for the other line to both the left and right speaker? I guess it is the ground. I read the page you linked to and understand pin 1 and 4 are used, but didn't see where the other line is coming from.

Also, are all 161-1 carts created the same? Or where do you recommend ordering one from?

Thanks

Last edited:
Question: On the stereo output, what pin do you use for the other line to both the left and right speaker? I guess it is the ground. I read the page you linked to and understand pin 1 and 4 are used, but didn't see where the other line is coming from.

Also, are all 161-1 carts created the same? Or where do you recommend ordering one from?
Thanks. Yes, I'm using that nice big ground point from the nearby voltage regular for L/R ground. You can also use the middle pin from the voltage regulator (attached to the heat-sink) that gets removed from the mono circuit.

And yes, all 161s are created equally poorly ;) Here is the cheapest source. It should hold you over until Darksoft's multi-cart gets released. Gadgetuk has some videos of essential mods for the 161 that I recommend. I applied all of his fixes and recapped mine, and moved it to a clear case with a custom holo label.

Question: On the stereo output, what pin do you use for the other line to both the left and right speaker? I guess it is the ground. I read the page you linked to and understand pin 1 and 4 are used, but didn't see where the other line is coming from.

Thanks. Yes, I'm using that nice big ground point from the nearby voltage regular for L/R ground. You can also use the middle pin from the voltage regulator (attached to the heat-sink) that gets removed from the mono circuit.
And yes, all 161s are created equally poorly ;) Here is the cheapest source. It should hold you over until Darksoft's multi-cart gets released. Gadgetuk has some videos of essential mods for the 161 that I recommend. I applied all of his fixes and recapped mine, and moved it to a clear case with a custom holo label.
Thanks for the reply. Stereo sound will be great, and I'll probably pick up that multi for the time being.

Lions3 generously sent me one of his laser cut plexi base plates for my MV-1C. I can't speak highly enough of his plexi work. It's very high quality in fit and finish. I added an LED stip to give it a glow and bring some attention to it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :D

I'm trying to get all of my MVS projects done and ready in time for the DS multi-cart.

Hello, I am using the same board but is working only with 5V the 12V option has been removed. My question is if I want to add 1 or more LEDS what do I need? What type of LEDS, resistors do I need and from what part of the board should I get the power for them?
I see you get the power from points where you get 12 V but as I said I use only 5V to operate my board.
My other question is for the battery mod... you just replace the battery holder for one for a LR2032 battery but do you need to remove any of the chips below for this mod or just substitute the battery holder?
Thank you and I hope my questions makes sense.

I'm not sure how to add LEDs if you are only powering the board with 5V. I used 12V LED strips, which don't require any resistors. Someone more knowledgeable might be able to offer some advice. Would something like this suffice? The only potential problem is that that PCB designates a max of 1.5A in (which your PSU will easily overpower).

Yes, as long as you use a rechargeable LR2032 then you simply need to replace the stock battery. If you use a CR2032 however, the charging circuit needs to be disabled as well.

Hello, I am using the same board but is working only with 5V the 12V option has been removed. My question is if I want to add 1 or more LEDS what do I need? What type of LEDS, resistors do I need and from what part of the board should I get the power for them?
I see you get the power from points where you get 12 V but as I said I use only 5V to operate my board.
My other question is for the battery mod... you just replace the battery holder for one for a LR2032 battery but do you need to remove any of the chips below for this mod or just substitute the battery holder?
Thank you and I hope my questions makes sense.
Use this resistor calculator for LEDs, its what I use, works pretty well. Just put in the info of the LEDs you are using, 1 Led, series or parallel circuits and this will let you know what to do.

LED Resistor Calculator

You can also buy, 5V led strips like these

5v Cool White Led Strips

Back