What's new

hrvat9

Student
Reaction score
I’m just wondering if this is a normal occurrence and if someone else can repeat it. My 246 with Gundam once in a while turns on and runs and either runs good or freezes. But I think the main reason why it doesn’t run is this ; when I unplug the ribbon cable from the CD drive it starts to work. When I plug it in it just goes dead / turns off( the led in the front flickers and the drive stops spinning)
Can anyone see if they can repeat this? Or is this a case of the ribbon cable being shot and somehow shorting something causing the CD drive to turn off? Where can I get one?
When I start the 246 , the drive does nothing until I unplug the ribbon cable. Then it starts spinning the disc and doing something
I have confirmed this with a Samsung drive and the lg drive it came with , they both do the same thing when the ribbon cable is unplugged.
https://streamable.com/7p10mz

Last edited:
Maybe try changing the ribbon cable. Of course, check the voltage from your power supply. I did have this happen before on my Namco System 246 rack B, the Namco motherboard board with the custom chips and ram. The only way I was able to fix that problem was to change out that whole motherboard part with another one I had.

Maybe try changing the ribbon cable. Of course, check the voltage from your power supply. I did have this happen before on my Namco System 246 rack B, the Namco motherboard board with the custom chips and ram. The only way I was able to fix that problem was to change out that whole motherboard part with another one I had.
I don’t know where to get another ribbon cable 😅😅 voltages are good, thag was the first thing I checked and I should have said in the original post

I don’t know where to get another ribbon cable
1f605.png
1f605.png
voltages are good, thag was the first thing I checked and I should have said in the original post
It’s a standard 80 wire 40 pin ide ribbon cable, it can be easily found on eBay or Amazon for cheap :) https://www.ebay.com/itm/280752627226

Probably the CD-ROM drive is going bad. Have you tried playing Gundam using another drive?

Probably the CD-ROM drive is going bad. Have you tried playing Gundam using another drive
Maybe, you could try to find another dvd drive, but since that is happening with both of the dvd drives, I think there is another issue. Hopefully it’s the ide cable. There should be a row of little components on the top or bottom of the connector of the ribbon cable, one of them could have gone bad and may need to be checked out.

Back