What's new

DoktorSleepless

Professional
Reaction score
Exactly what the title says. I've got a 246 that will not show video. It has audio and controls, but no video no matter what I do. I've got a 256 that works just fine with the same settings. My voltages are bang-on, and I don't see anything horribly wrong with what I CAN see, at least. Extracting the motherboard looks damned near impossible.

Anyone got any ideas?

The best thing to do is to actually take out the pcb to inspect it. Maybe something is wrong with the Namco Motherboard? The video encoder?

How would I do that? Everything above it is riveted in place.

EDIT: Found the screw holding everything in place. Nothing stands out as broken.

Last edited:
One thing I like to do to check if the Namco motherboard is working or not is to hook up a PlayStation 2 and put on a 480p compatible game to test the RGB out put to a monitor that supports 480p. Of course you have to set the ps2 to RGB mode for it to work and just plug in the PlayStation Av cable that is on the system to the PlayStation 2 multi out. If that works, then the ps2 part of the system is faulty. Also make sure to change the dip switch settings to output 31khz 480p. And make sure the arcade hardware is also turned on as well.

Exactly what the title says. I've got a 246 that will not show video. It has audio and controls, but no video no matter what I do. I've got a 256 that works just fine with the same settings. My voltages are bang-on, and I don't see anything horribly wrong with what I CAN see, at least. Extracting the motherboard looks damned near impossible.

Anyone got any ideas?
I would try a different monitor just to be sure its not the 246. I've run into a few PC monitors that plain refuse to sync up with a 246/256 without good sync separator circuit.

I would try a different monitor just to be sure its not the 246. I've run into a few PC monitors that plain refuse to sync up with a 246/256 without good sync separator circuit.
I've tried it in two separate cabs, and through the OSSC. They get signal, it's just a black screen.

Of course you have to set the ps2 to RGB mode for it to work and just plug in the PlayStation Av cable that is on the system to the PlayStation 2 multi out. If that works, then the ps2 part of the system is faulty. Also make sure to change the dip switch settings to output 31khz 480p. And make sure the arcade hardware is also turned on as well.

Wait: My 246 doesn't have that. It just has a pair of HD15 ports (or whatever the term for VGA-style port is). My 256 doesn't have that either, and it works just fine. They're both set to the same DIP settings.

They're both set to the same DIP settings.
Just as a sanity check, are you sure? The dip switches are on upside down on one of them, so if the switches are in the same position visibly, they are set opposite from each other.

Just as a sanity check, are you sure? The dip switches are on upside down on one of them, so if the switches are in the same position visibly, they are set opposite from each other.
The bank of switches has "ON" in the down position on both of them. Otherwise, I'd be booting into test mode all the time.

If it gives you video problems and it is not the dipswitches, check the FL fuse of the Namco board and the PS fuses of the Sony PS2 board, some have to be blown

If it gives you video problems and it is not the dipswitches, check the FL fuse of the Namco board and the PS fuses of the Sony PS2 board, some have to be blown
I don't think this has a PS2 board. It's a Rack C. Same form factor as the 256. It's all one board.

I found one, the FL fuse, but I can't find the PS fuse to save my life. Where on the board should it be? Diagrams of this board aren't available anywhere I've seen, or my Google-fu is just really weak.

EDIT: The big green FL fuse there tests okay. Forgot to mention that.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_170531.jpg
    IMG_20210425_170531.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I found one, the FL fuse, but I can't find the PS fuse to save my life. Where on the board should it be? Diagrams of this board aren't available anywhere I've seen, or my Google-fu is just really weak.

EDIT: The big green FL fuse there tests okay. Forgot to mention that.
In the Namco System 256 and in the 246C all the fuses are FL, check each fuse and also check for a short-circuited component, I don't have a 246C, I only have 256 and 246B, if you can attach an image of the motherboard I can guide at some point which you can measure and see if any components are shorted.
Meanwhile you can check those fuses that you attach in the photos

Back