What's new
Try a decrypted ROM.

Also. Before updating the firmware on any multi. Confirm it works from the factory before updating it.

Bump your PSU up to 5.10v.

First of all, you need to make sure that your CPS2 A and B board work properly. Did you check that before installing the multi?

The fact that the ventilator spins, is not related at all to the multi. Unless the multi is completely broken and makes a shortcut, but then you'll see some smoke or chips extremely hot, which I believe is not the case. I suspect that the problem is in your A or B Board. As already suggeste, when you get the multi, first try as it is and once everything seems to work well, then you can do the update. Also try running games that are decrypted. Those are the ones that in the key file, the content is full of 0xFF characters.

Let us know how it goes.

@gamenwatch we are here to help and to find a solution to your problem, we do not intend to point fingers. We'll do our best to get your multi working.

Having said that, if you can try with another A and B rhatd be great, if not we'll try to troubleshoot from remote and if not, I'll ask you to send it over so we can have a look.

Thanks

which version is this B Board and the previous one? 93646B-???

OK, try shortcircuiting that EXC5 again with the power off, of course.

Do it for a bit longer and make sure that everything fits in place, specially A and B board. Ideally for testing, remove the B board from its plastic case and you'll be sure it fits all in.

From my experience on repairing or helping repair people bad kits, I can't remember right now a single case where the problem was a bad kit and that applies for all multis. All kits are tested one by one with different romsets to make sure that you got a fully working kit. In most cases the problem lies because some very small physical damage to the kit after it was delivered, some solder spot accidentally falling on the PCB, non working or untested donor motherboards, etc. Before asking you to send it to me, let's try to see if we can make this work.

Let's wrap up what you've tried so far:
* Different A and B Boards, known to work previously
* Testing without plastic case in B Board
* Different SD Cards, all of them SDHC
* reset multiplie times for at least 10 seconds the EXC5

Am I missing something?

Can you check the jumpers on the B Board? Have they been modified? Check with a meter that they are actually shorted the ones that need to be only.
Also, can you completely remove the key writting cable and check for now only games where the "key" file only has the values 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF.....?

I'm wondering if that previous A Board that had issues with the ventilator was working before the multi and for how long it was tested.

Let me know any more things that you tried please.

@Darksoft

Checked the jumpers, checked roms with 0xFF key without the key writing cable connected on either port and no changes.

The issue is with the multi, because just I moved this to a third B-board (SFZ B-board 93646B-7) that was working perfectly fine before I swapped it out and now I get purple screen.
You can send it to me. Send me PM. Just a small comment from my side, I think that I havent found yet one single multi that was not working because of a failure in production. All multis are checked one by one before being sent and in the production factory, they are all 3D checked for proper assembly and soldering. All the issues I found, off the top of my head, it was always because someone didn't handle it properly. If the failure is because of a problem from our side, we'll repair it for free and send back on our cost.

That's not a small comment.

Before I take this to PM, tell me what would cause someone to not handle it properly?

Outside of bootloader corruption issues that I've read and what would cause it, which from a QC perspective I have my own comments.

So this guy didn't handle his multi properly? Says parts were blown there. https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...fter-firmware-5th-may-2023.26338/#post-390697

Or this switcher issue? https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps2-multi-hangs-at-rom-check.25830/
Looks like you got this completely wrong. Message was not for you. I dont want to public.ly post pictures of damages I've found, but there is a bunch of them and those include some of the ones that you have posted. Should we go back to topic and try to fix your multi ?

Back