What's new

DaveR

Student
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got pair of Sega Sonic All Star's racing in storage for time being, the Drive board went on one and then went on the other, so it starts up and fails to move the steering wheel causing an error code.

I have inspected the boards and cannot see any visual faults. What dies on these boards? the story is one side died and then a month later the other side died, which makes me think can you trust these boards at all and I see FFB Aridno Projects out there.

There appers to be other similar boards out there, for example the 838-14174 which is very similar but Midi motor based , I can see that the 14174 looks very similar collection and layout wise but with some different IC's

The 838-14502-01 is another number which looks very much indentical to mine

So after all these board revisions the later board still fails? but where too? the transistors measure good, no signs of damage. Baffled.

My next step is to attempt to bring the RingWide in the shop and try and rig up so I can see the serial data (presuming I am correct)

Dave

There is a thermal overload that opens and disables any power electronics. Maybe yours has failed? Worth checking that.

The ffb board you have is the rs422 that doesnt need the rs232/rs422 comm converter.

838-14592-01 (chinese version ) or
838-14592-92 (japanese version)

Will work but need the comm converter.

The midi board would work with a protocol convertor (different from comm converter), not sure if anyone has developed rs422 to midi, i know there was work midi to rs422.

Try doing ffb test in test menu, maybe will give more detail if its communicating.

Last edited:
There is a thermal overload that opens and disables any power electronics. Maybe yours has failed? Worth checking that.

The ffb board you have is the rs422 that doesnt need the rs232/rs422 comm converter.

838-14592-01 (chinese version ) or
838-14592-92 (japanese version)

Will work but need the comm converter.

The midi board would work with a protocol convertor (different from comm converter), not sure if anyone has developed rs422 to midi, i know there was work midi to rs422.

Try doing ffb test in test menu, maybe will give more detail if its communicating.
okay thanks maybe i will look at the thermal side - i haven't put 240v through it yet and powered it.

yes mine seems to be direct connection with jumpers for RS422 on board.

Back