What's new

Ioncannon

Student
Reaction score
My NAC is missing it's mounting board and I am looking to make a new one. I know it's some kind of composite; anyone know for sure? Looks like plywood but could be MDF? Not sure on the wood type.

I'm not sure about the NAC specifically but my Net City and Vewlix both use MDF.

I would go with a good plywood that has a nice finish or mdf.

Plywood will hold up better to repeated screw use.

Mdf will need anchors like these and use of machine screws:

2021-07-09_14-43-26.jpg

I would go with a good plywood that has a nice finish or mdf.

Plywood will hold up better to repeated screw use.

Mdf will need anchors like these and use of machine screws:

2021-07-09_14-43-26.jpg

What wood should I go with? Pine? Spruce?

What wood should I go with? Pine? Spruce?
Its up to your budget, A grade plywood is expensive. Also, depends if you are going to paint/stain/seal or leave it bare, etc.. Just go with something that is sanded/has a smooth finish. Being that wood prices have basically tripled at least here, I would probably go with a sand B grade plywood. Take a look/feel at your local lumber/home improvement center. Post up what you end using :D

The boards in my NAC and Aero City are plywood. If you need dimensions I can measure the NAC board for you.

I don't know about the NAC but in most other cabs I've worked with the thickness needs to be correct for it to fit as well.

Its up to your budget, A grade plywood is expensive. Also, depends if you are going to paint/stain/seal or leave it bare, etc.. Just go with something that is sanded/has a smooth finish. Being that wood prices have basically tripled at least here, I would probably go with a sand B grade plywood. Take a look/feel at your local lumber/home improvement center. Post up what you end using :D

Cool, thanks for the tips. Since I'll probably be drilling a bunch of screws in I might leave it bare.

The boards in my NAC and Aero City are plywood. If you need dimensions I can measure the NAC board for you.

If it's not too much trouble. Also the diameter of the circle for pulling the board and distance from the edges. There are some measuremants on this page not sure if accurate:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_New_Astro_City

If it's not too much trouble. Also the diameter of the circle for pulling the board and distance from the edges. There are some measuremants on this page not sure if accurate:

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_New_Astro_City

yeah that page is fairly accurate. It might very from cab to cab tho.
Mine measures at 15 1/4” x 19 5/8” @ almost 3/8” thick.

The hole is 3/4” diameter.
Positioned 1” from the edge in the center of the board.
27053C0E-9DB3-4647-B6CE-D4645494D2B4.jpeg

Dman, only 3/8" Would have thought they would be thicker 1/2 - 5/8 at least, but then again Im thinking about mounting PC based arcade hardware :D

yeah that page is fairly accurate. It might very from cab to cab tho.
Mine measures at 15 1/4” x 19 5/8” @ almost 3/8” thick.

The hole is 3/4” diameter.
Positioned 1” from the edge in the center of the board.
27053C0E-9DB3-4647-B6CE-D4645494D2B4.jpeg

Thanks! I assume that other hole is for the wing nut to lock it in place/stabilize?

Back