What's new

alamone

Professional
Reaction score
Lurker here. I have developed mods mostly aimed at practicing shmups.
The Gradius IV mod in particular has a lot of options, including stage/loop select, pause, and full power anytime (A+B+C during pause).
The Dodonpachi mod fixes a lot of bugs with the original, especially with regards to 2P side operation, and adds a lot of QOL features.
They are downloadable on my website:

alamone.net

Although these are aimed at PCB owners, they will work on MiSTer and emulators.

(Outzone Round and Stage Select as well ! niiice! thanks !

Well, even though the stage select part is easy, you probably will want to add some features to power up your shot and select the weapon.
I'm thinking that could be implemented in the pause (or set at the start of stage select). Shouldn't be a big deal to add if you want me to look at it.

Yeah I was thinking it would be easy but what I found when I had a quick look last night was actually a MAME cheat, and I'm not a programmer so have no idea how to actually translate that into getting the game to set the flag manually: https://sudden-desu.net/entry/air-gallet-stage-select-invincibility-region-select-and-more

From the article author when I asked him basically "yo what do I edit to obtain the level select menu":

<Ryou_> hmm, that's tricky, because those are forced memory values
<Ryou_> the cheat is holding values in RAM as opposed to modifying code to set the values as they should be
<Ryou_> I'll have to have another look at the data, I did this one a *long* time ago, I really try to avoid memory-fix cheats these days

He also said he'd have a go at it in a couple days so if you're not into it, no worries!

Making good progress. Enabled stage select, in-game pause, and region change in test menu. Just need to add powerup anytime and it's ready to go.

Air Gallet / Aku Gallet Trainer v1.00 released. Available at my website linked on the OP.

Features:
- Shorten the boot up warning screen.
- Allow stage select (1P side only).
- Allow pause (2P Start to pause, 1P Start to unpause).
- Powerup anytime during pause:
Press UP for full vulcan.
Press A for full laser.
Press B for full missile.
Press C for full hunter.
Press LEFT for max (5) bombs.
- Allow region change in Test Menu (Press Right + B when menu item is on "Factory Settings")

well well .. I just saw that Gradius IV uses the same board as Hang Pilot.
The mame set has a lovely M48t58y-70pc1, which is the damn ST Timekeeper RAM. Other then that would it be just a rom swap?!
I don't see raving reviews about Gradius IV though.
And Gender based High score table? really!?!

Last edited:
Not sure if there's a thread for Hornet conversions, but I believe it's just a rom swap for compatible boards. Gender and zodiac signs are on the high score table for most Gradius games.
Gradius IV is kind of the black sheep of the series but I personally like it a lot. A loop only takes around 30 minutes, it doesn't have slowdown all day like Gradius III,
and it requires not only pattern memorization but also adlib dodging skills as well.

Back