What's new

DJLC

Professional
Reaction score
I got 2 jvs IO hooked up in sequence but I only get controls for 1/2 player off the 2nd IO. Is this something that these boards support?

I am running into the same issue. I have a Ringedge 2 multi being used by a pair of Vewlix. When cabinet 2's JVS board is connected to cabinet 1's JVS board, only controls for cabinet 2 work (and reads as player 1). When cabinet 2's JVS board is disconnected, cabinet 1 controls work just fine.

I am using the Taito JVS board (K91X1147A) in both cabinets, with the Taito VS kit (K91X11151) splitting audio, splitting video, and passing through the JVS to the second cabinet. Is this a compatibility issue with the Ringedge 2, does it require Sega JVS boards to support the 2-cabinet JVS setup? Or is there something else I am missing?

Last edited:
Support for multiple JVS I/Os is dependant on the game, not the system itself.

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any games that will read the second player information from a daisy chained IO, they will read P1/P2 info from the 1st IO in the chain (which is always the one on the end of the chain).

I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any games that will read the second player information from a daisy chained IO

Are we talking about RE2 specifically or games in general? Most Naomi and 2x6 fighting games will read the second player information from a daisy chained Sega IO.

I've never tried JVS link with RE2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works with Sega IOs. If no-one can confirm it working or not, I can rig it up.

Reactions: nem
That's interesting. I wonder what the deal with Pengo is?

@Niko, do you know?

Are we talking about RE2 specifically or games in general? Most Naomi and 2x6 fighting games will read the second player information from a daisy chained Sega IO.

I've never tried JVS link with RE2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works with Sega IOs. If no-one can confirm it working or not, I can rig it up.
Sorry, yes talking about RE2 games specifically, I haven't tried though so maybe they do work.

My main point was that in the JVS API provided by SEGA for use on the systems, you have to specify which I/O board you'd like to read from, and which player - so the game designers have to implement the detection and use of the second I/O board themselves, it's not automatically provided by the API - thus meaning the decision factor on if these games would work with 2 I/Os isn't based on the system at all.

so the game designers have to implement the detection and use of the second I/O board themselves, it's not automatically provided by the API

Ah - that could explain it too. When pressing 'B' on the RE multi selection screen for settings, it notes that it is unable to identity the specific JVS in use. So if the game cannot identify the specific board, then it may fail to use the functionality.

So it may either be:
A) Games don't support (seems unlikely for some of the games)
B) RE2 multi doesn't support
C) RE2 requires SEGA JVS boards for chaining

I also have a RingWide with Melty Blood. I'll try that later tonight to see what behavior I get.

I honestly cant remember, but dont think I ever tried JVS chaining.

I know the RE2 had some quirk where it wouldnt read the "TAITO" ID from the Taito JVS boards, but other than that the I/O board would function.

I assume you've looked in the settings menu for cabinet configuration options?

Further Looking:
It's labeling the Taito JVS board as an "unknown identity" when looking at settings using the B button on the game selection screen. When looking at the JVS test in the RingEdge's system settings it just has an empty field for its name. The JVS Test has node 1 and 2 which can be toggled between, both of which successful read their input when testing them (node 1 being board at end of the chain, node 2 being the one that is not working during gameplay). So, the system at least knows the other board is there and can read the input if directed to. - Though, with the RE2 I am only able to get into this system menu prior to the multi image loading.

I don't see any setting within that ringedge system menu or game system menus for enabling any required functionality for the chaining function properly.

RingWide w/ Melty Blood Test:
Successful. Both cabinets work. The board at the end of the chain gets read as player 2, and the board that has not been working with RE2 is read as player 1.

Seems like these terminal versions just don't support JVS chaining. It does make sense since it's one cab, one terminal.

Is Pengo the only RE2 game that had a separate, standalone version? Is Melty Blood a newer version of the game on RE2 or the same as RW?

Seems like these terminal versions just don't support JVS chaining. It does make sense since it's one cab, one terminal.

Is Pengo the only RE2 game that had a separate, standalone version? Is Melty Blood a newer version of the game on RE2 or the same as RW?

It’s a different build of the game for All.NET but no gameplay changes.

Back