What's new

Joko3

Enlightened
Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. A board that is not working arrived at my house. It was sold as untested, with no return possible, so there was an inherent risk involved; however, the guy who bought this is perhaps my most frequent customer and I'd like to try and help him by creating this thread.

So, the problem is in the title, and videos are worth a thousand words, so please see them below. Video 1 is the game not working, Video 2 is my CPS2 running using the same exact equipment and settings; all I did was power off, move the JAMMA harness over, and power the supergun back on. I've tested well over 30 boards on this supergun including two other Cave PCBs without problem already, so I'm certain all my equipment is good to go.

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. I will be stepping away from the forum for the next 16 hours to do homework, sleep, commute, school, commute, but after that, I will come right back here to answer any questions that may arise.

View: https://youtu.be/oRi5qu10zG4

View: https://youtu.be/Twuk_pA1H-k

Thank you everyone!

Does not these boards have a small red led that lights up when it gets powered?

I am not seeing anything on the video, but it might just be the video.

Yep, it has a red light. It lights up when the board is powered; you can't see it in the video but it's there and is lit up. I will unpack the board and power it on again tomorrow and get some good still shots of it.

IIRC @Hatsune Mike was saying that these issues are pretty commonly due to failing RAM.

Replacing the RAM is possible, but needs someone experienced in SMD soldering.

(it could ofc also be something else)

I don't believe I have the means to do it, but what would one have to do in order to check the RAM?

By the way, the board is going to France if anybody within the EU is capable and willing to take a look at it. If so, I'll have the owner send you a message. Of course, if anybody anywhere was willing to take a look it would be helpful : )

It is easiest to just replace the RAM. Removing it to test externally is already virtually all of the work.
I don't believe I have the means to do it, but what would one have to do in order to check the RAM?

Thank you for the advice @Hatsune Mike

Do you know of anybody that the board could be forwarded to handle such a repair? Would seem like a waste to send it to the owner in France only for it to get sent out again.

Thank you for the advice @Hatsune Mike

Do you know of anybody that the board could be forwarded to handle such a repair? Would seem like a waste to send it to the owner in France only for it to get sent out again.
There's a really good repair guy in Japan. Works magic apparently. I'll try to find out who it is.

There's a really good repair guy in Japan. Works magic apparently. I'll try to find out who it is.
Would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, pretty much all the shops don't want to touch boards that aren't theirs due to liability. Kind of silly considering that it's already broken as it is, but I understand them wanting to avoid trouble. Somebody could easily blame unrelated problems on them after the requested repair is completed, etc. Getting a recommendation from them is a no go as well; I suppose they want to keep their repair guy a secret, which again I kind of understand.

Would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, pretty much all the shops don't want to touch boards that aren't theirs due to liability. Kind of silly considering that it's already broken as it is, but I understand them wanting to avoid trouble. Somebody could easily blame unrelated problems on them after the requested repair is completed, etc. Getting a recommendation from them is a no go as well; I suppose they want to keep their repair guy a secret, which again I kind of understand.
Sorry dude. Chasing up my friend for the info!

I just noticed this thread.

There is a switch on the PCB called S1 just to the left of the CPU when the JAMMA edge is at the bottom. If this switch is not in the correct position the PCB will not boot.

The correct position can be seen here:

http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Hardware_SH3/Hardware.htm

The LED (D6) close to the CPU should light up and then turn off on a working CV1000 PCB. It is connected to the done pin on the FPGA.

^ Thanks for the info. The board is with a technician now, but I double-checked the pictures I had of the board. It is in the same position as the one shown on the link you provided.

Reactions: rtw
Back