What's new

erzane

Professional
Reaction score
Id like to clean both PCBs. Can I just put some degreaser on the whole and leave all components to get washed or maybe should I remove some of them before? If yes, is it a company who can undo/redo and clean them proper?
DSCN9433.JPG

I would recommend against washing with water. I know some folks have had good results washing with water and degreaser but the risks outweigh the benefits, in my opinion, especially since your boards does not look too dirty.

Instead, you should try 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs to remove dirt and grime. For stubborn grime and/or corrosion, you can use a fiberglass scratch pen but do so lightly.

You can wash it in water/soap/degreaser, etc... just need to blow off the excess water with air compressor, then rinse with 99% ipa (not the beer type :D) if you want (optional, not really needed) and then bake it in your oven at 170-175F for an hour and let it cool off in the there with it off for a few hours and you should be good to go.

If you are going to recap the PSU, which you should, remove the caps before you wash it, then recap it after its clean and dry. Also, apply fresh thermal grease/paste to the heatsink that attaches to the case.

Ok I'll do that way. But after cleaning I'll not use it right now, I'll wait about one month, the time my cab will be refurbished, I guess I can skip the the baking process right? Btw, I never heard about puting that kind of component into an oven... Even 170F will be not dangerous?
What does ''rinse'' mean. Does it mean apply some ipa with a brush?

About recaping : I'll test the psu first. What kind of issue can be seen when caps are too old?
About thermal paste : ok I'll

Last edited:
Some people will let circuit boards air dry with a fan for a few days, you can do that if want.
I don't do that cause I am usually working on whatever it is I needed to wash, plus I want to make sure I get rid off as much moisture as I can as quickly as possible.
This is why a quick wash with really hot tap water, not scolding/boiling hot ofcourse should get it cleaned fast. Then blow off all excess water with air compressor to the point the board almost feels dry, then bake in the oven at 170 degrees Fahrenheit, thats as low as my oven will get you can do 150-160 if your oven can do that. Nothing will happen to the board at those temperatures. Almost all components are rated for way much higher temperatures and in celsius at that so it will be fine. You don't have to do the ipa rinse, that is just optional really,

Man, I really should start making videos while I wash/dry pcbs, don't understand why people get worked up on doing a water wash. The only things to worry about is old, and I mean really old components, think like vacuum tube era where some components used cardboard, etc.. in their construction, gotta remove those a long with batteries, etc... some new components you gotta look out for to make sure they are dry or below a certain moisture level like some types of miniature leds, and such, even those modern items state that if they are above a certain moisture level you need to bake them before you used them to lower their moisture content.

My experience is similar to Derick2k's and I've never had any issues. The key is (a) don't plug in wet (duh) so make sure they are dry, and (b) don't leave them sit around wet where rust/oxidation could form. So bake or fan dry after washing so it can dry quickly. And yeah, make sure there is no cardboard/paper insulation in there as water can ruin it (again, duh).

I live in Phoenix AZ where it's a 150F in my garage. I just washed a Blast City power supply with simple green and a hose. Air Compressed the amp connectors and the board to ensure it's dry. Then left it in my garage for a day to bake the fuck up up. Works fine so far :)

The key is (a) don't plug in wet (duh) so make sure they are dry, and (b) don't leave them sit around wet where rust/oxidation could form
^ This right here is why I don’t recommend washing boards to people ^

Most people are impatient and / or careless. I have and do wash boards depending on scenario, (mouse turds / piss) but for 99% of people in 99% of scenarios, the risk of washing with water outweighs the benefits, in my opinion.

Most people are impatient and / or careless. I have and do wash boards depending on scenario, (mouse turds / piss) but for 99% of people in 99% of scenarios, the risk of washing with water outweighs the benefits, in my opinion.
Very true, you have should have some basic knowledge of what you are doing, take the steps/prepare for what you are going to do. Like anything, its all in the details/prep. Gonna see if I get a really dirty ass board to wash and dry so you all see my process, dont be afraid to do it. If are doing it for the first time and are unsure just ask questions, post pics.

ex...ringedge 2 case in the dishwasher with krudd kutter, simple green will not remove that nicotine tar oil shit off parts, even if it looks like it did. motherboard, harnesses, fans, gpu all take apart and hand washed/scrubbed with krudd kutter as well in the sink, then baked in the oven. Im not spending my time to try and clean that with ipa lol. Obiously these are nasty cases. If your board just has dust, either blow it or brush it off and let it be.

Wish I would have taken more pics

2021-08-24_20-58-11.jpg

2021-08-24_21-03-33.jpg

2021-08-24_21-04-24.jpg

Honestly the OPs power supply isn't even that dirty. I would just scrub a little bit of IPA on the grimy parts and call it done.

In my case, I had a YATON power supply that was absolutely disgusting. I couldn't allow something that filthy be attached to my cabinet.

Honestly the OPs power supply isn't even that dirty. I would just scrub a little bit of IPA on the grimy parts and call it done.

In my case, I had a YATON power supply that was absolutely disgusting. I couldn't allow something that filthy be attached to my cabinet.
very true. that one I would hose down with ipa and brush it clean, Im at a point where Im buying ipa by the gallons though lol. Water and dawn/krudd kutter is cheaper.

I wouldn't let water touch the transformer, so if you go that route I'd recommend desoldering it first and resolder it once fully dry.

Nowadays I'd leave it as is, maybe just recap with proper replacements. I'd clean with water + degreaser only if it's smelly.

Ok then I'll wash it with degreaser and hot water then put it on the baker by smooth hot temperature (I don't have a fan nor a heater so I'll use the baker only after have taken off visible water with the air compressor if you all agree with that).I'll post pics when doing it first like this it's sure i don't do mistake but it do not seems to be too complexe.
Btw I'm never impatient, I'm so anxious to miss it so I prefere to wait a few days to get proper relfexions on what would I maybe have forgot to do it proper before power on.

p.s. what does the transformer looks like? Seems that some don't care about that transformer, some do...

Back