What's new

Gamesmonkey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I would have a go at putting together one of these...
A modern version of a C64 REU memory unit that geos up to 16 meg!
All the heavy lifting is done with a raspberry Pi 3B+ A+
If you fancy having a go the GitHub is here.

20231112_132910[1].jpg

Ha, it's funny how you mentioned this I finally finished making this and tested it out yesterday... it doesn't work!
I need to go back over my SMD work and check everything is good.

At the same time as I was making the RAD I was also building its big brother the SideKick64
20231228_095339.jpg

20231228_095624.jpg

Which as you can see works great.
So one out 2 isn't bad! 😀

I'm reading your mind :) Let us know when you fix it what is your opinion and if we should get one.

Interesting - what does the Raspberry PI do in the REU? Some kind of extra server or ramdisk?
IIRC the REU just uses DMA to copy data to and from the extra memory. I think I have even seen VHDL code that implements it, everything should fit into a medium sized CPLD.

The full write up of what it can do is on the Github page, If you fancy having a go the GitHub is here.
I have spare blank PCB's if anybody fancys having a go at the RAD or SideKick64 also by rhe same person.

Ah, that seems to go a bit into the Turbo Chameleon 64 direction.

The full write up of what it can do is on the Github page, If you fancy having a go the GitHub is here.
I have spare blank PCB's if anybody fancys having a go at the RAD or SideKick64 also by rhe same person.
I'm interested in 1 of your blank pcbs if it's still available. How much does it cost you to order the pcbs?

Back