What's new

olum64

Student
Reaction score
CPS 1 graphics error custom chip?

hello have a cps 1 with a graphic error is the problem a custom chip?

cps1.jpeg

CPS 1 graphics error custom chip?

hello have a cps 1 with a graphic error is the problem a custom chip?

cps1.jpeg
Yes it is very likely one of the customs. Isolate it to the A board or the B+C set. If you have another working c board with same custom (can be a world warrior C board, with kick connector and ic. on top), then you can further isolate it to the C board if the issue is coming from.the b+c set. Check the C board for nicked traces or gouges.

You can also check all mask roms. Bad mask(s) will give similar issues.

Hey, i highjack this one;
Tested 5x CPS 1 A boards with issues
3x have similar problems than the one pictured here
1x has the text only around 70% to high
1x has flickering sprites
Aside from this all run fine with full sound.
My B+C used for testing are 100% fine.
Where to start and what parts to switch? ^__^

Hey, i highjack this one;
Tested 5x CPS 1 A boards with issues
3x have similar problems than the one pictured here
1x has the text only around 70% to high
1x has flickering sprites
Aside from this all run fine with full sound.
My B+C used for testing are 100% fine.
Where to start and what parts to switch? ^__^
Start with probing cps-a-01. If you've got lines not doing anything that should be functional, or obviously misbehaving lines, then start with replacement of cps-a-01. Probing pal's can also give insight into a faulty cps-a-01. Again, lines with no signal that should have signal or lines that are making very abnormal sounds not consistent with normal activity.

Unfortunately, replacement of cps-a-01 is only possible by taking one from another board. At that point, the faulty board is scrap.

Vram and the video section near cps-a-01 may have fault(s) which can be repaired. Probe out all lines using the schematics. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a floating connection that simply needs to be repaired.

Check broken solder joins on that chip first, they are prone to needing a reflow sometimes especially if rough handled.

Unfortunately, replacement of cps-a-01 is only possible by taking one from another board.
That's true, however you can take a CPS-A custom from a CPS2 (don't need to be another CPS1).
Maybe its just because CPS2 is newer... But they seem to have a lesser failure rate?

The original long board CPS1's were the worst in my experience... Again I'm not sure if that is because they are also the oldest?

That's true, however you can take a CPS-A custom from a CPS2 (don't need to be another CPS1).
Maybe its just because CPS2 is newer... But they seem to have a lesser failure rate?

The original long board CPS1's were the worst in my experience... Again I'm not sure if that is because they are also the oldest?
CPS2 custom chip seems stonger, like the last CPS1 short pcb with 12mhz qwatrz and 12 for 2 last digit on M68k model.

I have been repairing CPS1 bases with the help of this tool although you need a CPS-B-21 C-plate from PPU. what if I recommend you first to see the CPS-A-01 PPU1 custom chip. after that check the logic gates and video ram, here I leave you some schematic diagrams of the CPS1 board A plus a program that only works for the street fighter 2 CE with C B21 board PPU

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z-dZk8m6TOzxd7DcoJIIoocW_yCzbZGw/view?usp=drivesdk

Back