What's new

koki

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just got this CPS-3 mainboard, it's working great. I open up the plastic cover on mainboard and found the 1/2AA battery inside.
What is the purpose of this battery? How to replace with new one? Can it harm the mainboard if taken out?

image0 (1).jpeg

That battery is only on the initial CPS3 boards and was eliminated from later production runs. It maintains a small amount of RAM (location 14F) that appears to have been used for "hotfixing" the early CPS3 games when they were still in development. None of the published games make use of that RAM - only the flash EPROM at location 13E is used for saving high scores and game settings.

Clip the battery and remove it before it explodes and you have a mess on your hands. With my board, the battery exploded and took out everything around it (EPROM ERROR at boot), but I was able to successfully resurrect the board by running patch wires to a replacement EPROM.
IMG_7899.jpg
IMG_7572.jpgIMG_7903.jpg

That battery is only on the initial CPS3 boards and was eliminated from later production runs. It maintains a small amount of RAM (location 14F) that appears to have been used for "hotfixing" the early CPS3 games when they were still in development. None of the published games make use of that RAM - only the flash EPROM at location 13E is used for saving high scores and game settings.

Clip the battery and remove it before it explodes and you have a mess on your hands. With my board, the battery exploded and took out everything around it (EPROM ERROR at boot), but I was able to successfully resurrect the board by running patch wires to a replacement EPROM.
IMG_7899.jpg
IMG_7572.jpgIMG_7903.jpg
Thx. Can I desoldering it out ?

Back