What's new

Nightshademan

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all new here.
Here is a picture of my successful attempt on replace/swap the 3.6 CPS-3 Security Cartridge Battery and want to type about in short.

The hardware is very interesting being that is has a 50 Pin SCSI terminal, worked on many different SCSI devices and there large and small wacky cables throughout the years as a PC Repairman. The SCSI CD-Rom Drive oddly reminds me of the 16-bit Aha-1522B ISA SCSI Controller connected to Removable Caddy Tray Holder Drive.

A few years back me and my good friend Danial had massive debates over the CPS-3 Hardware over having it hacked. He wanted me to join the 'Dark Side' meaning Darksoft Hacked CPS boards. I told him that is Blasphemy to the CPS-3 Gods and devalue boards, so take your Crapsoft sinful ideas away from my pure virgin Third Strike Lol. Daniel has tons of CPS-1'S CPS-2'S CPS-3's goods and strongly believes this is the best way in preserving it. During my repairs at his place or at a friends arcade spot the D.S debate continued.

Later down the road my ignorance has stopped learning that hacked CPS Boards are more favorably keep alive rather than an original dead pcb collecting dust.
I'm the guy on the left, Danial on the right. Yeah i know i was told i looked like Ron Jeremy.

Attachments

• CPS3.jpg
    CPS3.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Me.jpg
    Me.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
My take on all batteries is that they're unreliable and battery acid is destructive. Whenever you have the option to remove a battery while retaining functionality, do it and don't look back.

Look at the battery mess I found on my own CPS3 board. Fortunately I was able to save the board, but it doesn't look as nice as it used to...

FullSizeRender.jpg

Look at the battery mess I found on my own CPS3 board.
Can confirm. There's next to zero benefits in keeping your original batteries in this day and age other than being proud of the literal time-bomb strapped to your ~$1000 full-simm setup. Here's a video I took a little while back cracking open a warzard cart that hadn't been used or serviced in who knows how long; if ever.

https://twitter.com/GD_Cade/status/1454264001693634564

Or if you just want the punchline:

c755c7d729eb53805bf4ad33f9500681.jpg

Fortunately I was able to save the board, but it doesn't look as nice as it used to...

Also can confirm that this is a real fear- unserviced batteries can potentially take the mobo with it.

The damage it caused to the board I had to quite literally pry it out from isn't anywhere near as visible to the naked eye, but trust when I say there is no voodoo on this earth bringing that mobo back from the afterlife. As someone who also holds 3S near-and-dear to their heart: having an untouched security key in your cart and a battery on its last limbs won't help your parry game :P and in this day and age with how common repro and serviced carts are, no one will know OR care that your cart is "legit" as much as they'll care that they're playing one of the best fighters ever made. That's all that matters: that they work and they work for as long as we can make them work so we can enjoy them with others as long as we can :thumbup:

My opinion is that the true spirit of the game is lost when the factory electrons leave the board.

Even if it were possible to reliably replace the battery, those factory electrons were blessed by both cap and com.

Truly this is the way the game was meant to be played. Nothing lasts forever, surely the temporal nature of the medium, the precarious grip on the edge of destruction, the knowledge that death comes for us all.

These are the things that give us a sense of urgency, that make life the sweetest. throw every fireball as if it may be the last.

Back