What's new

Spicules

Student
Reaction score
I have a strider hiryu (Japanese version of strider) that I bought - described as having “reproduction roms” with “genuine A board”.
So it sounds like it’s some sort of conversion.

My question is - i don’t know anything about rom swapping etc - but would it be possible to swap out a few roms To make it the USA version? Or would this not really be worth messing with.

im trying to see if it’s an easy swap of some socketed chips or if it’s something that’s going to be difficult - I would just leave alone.

https://imgur.com/a/oIK1VSa

Yes it's a conversion so should be really easy to update to the US ROMs. They are socketed, so easy swap out.

The question is, do you own a EPROM writer? If not, you may have to ask someone here to help you (mail it or better, just the EPROMs, back and forth) or buy them pre-written from a service like hobbyroms.com or something.

Figure out which way you want to go and we can help you get there!

IF its a full on conversion it uses the B21 C-board, and yes if you have the B21 conversion ready/patched sets for the USA version you can just burn/install the roms.
You cannot simply burn the sets contained in MAME (they are not patched for B21 C-board operation).

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I do have some friends with a rom burner, but not sure if they can do these type. I guess I'd have to double check with them to see what kinds theirs can do.

I'm not sure if I have a B21 C-board - how would I tell? Is it possible to tell from the picture I posted?

And is there a couple of roms I would replace for US versus the Japan version, or would I do ALL of them?

IF its a full on conversion it uses the B21 C-board, and yes if you have the B21 conversion ready/patched sets for the USA version you can just burn/install the roms.
You cannot simply burn the sets contained in MAME (they are not patched for B21 C-board operation).
Actually, you can use unpatched PRG ROMs but you will have to shuffle the GFX EPROMs around the sockets (chip numbers do not match the board sequence numbering labeled on the mame zip, which pertains to the original board the game released on...) because the B BOARD may be electrically different from the original and the chip selects for the sockets may be ordered differently.

For 91634B-x (SF2 CE and Hyper Fighting?) it went like this:

1 -> 6
2 -> 8
3 -> 2
4 -> 4
5 -> 5
6 -> 7
7 -> 1
8 -> 3

(original PCB socket No -> 91634B-2 socket No)

Absolutely no modifications needed, just write the correct PAL for socket A1 and re-order the GFX roms as instructed, use original unpatched PRG ROMs.
You can swap the PRG ROMs to easily change region too, I suppose. I tried JPN and US on the same board and both worked perfectly.

I have a strider hiryu (Japanese version of strider) that I bought - described as having “reproduction roms” with “genuine A board”.
So it sounds like it’s some sort of conversion.

My question is - i don’t know anything about rom swapping etc - but would it be possible to swap out a few roms To make it the USA version? Or would this not really be worth messing with.

im trying to see if it’s an easy swap of some socketed chips or if it’s something that’s going to be difficult - I would just leave alone.

https://imgur.com/a/oIK1VSa
Because your game is a bootleg, I suggest you take out the roms 22 and 23 (CPU program) and check against the MAME files. If they are identical then it is unpatched and the USA ROM will work straight. If the rom is patched, you will need to use a patched set as per the suggestion given previously. Keep in mind that the sockets 24, 25, 28 and 29 mirrors socket 22 and sockets 26,27, 30 and 31 mirrors socket 23. These are there to allow an option for using 8bit EPROMs instead of 16bit eproms on CPU program. It is usually easier to just combine all the 8bit chips into 16bit ones and use the sockets 23, 22, 21 and 20 instead. If the 8bit sockets are used their respective 16bit socket has to remain empty (or the opposite).

The patch will be about changing how the game access the graphics to not require the ROMs being shuffled.

My friend and I finally got around to messing with this.

We checked the CPU roms (22/23) and those are identical to the ones in mame.

So it sounds like then the mame roms can be used to change this from Strider-JPN to Strider-UA ?

So that brings us to the next question - the Mame ROM set has 18 files outside the prg/rom1 files etc and a total of 23 roms - so we are not sure which ones we need to burn, and where they would go.

Even if I'm not counting 1a rom, and the CPU roms at 22/23, I still only have 11 eeproms .

I see that there's numbers that correspond with SOME of the locations printed on my B board (which is the 91634-B board mentioned earlier). but not all.

If someone could explain which roms we would need to burn and where they would go because we're really confused!

To clarify:

I have populated on my pcb:

3a
4a
5a
6a
7a 7f
8a 8f
9a
10a
11a 11c
12c

Strider-USA roms in Mame has the above roms, plus others that I don't seem to have on my pcb:
8h, 11h, 11e, 11f, 12b, 12f, 12h,

When I look at the roms on the original board - things look similar:

Cps1_strider_set 1 _ original PCB.jpg

Then 8h looks like its my 7f.

It sounds like the 16 bit roms are used in 7f/8f (CPU Roms in slots 22/23) so then that would mean that we are not using the ones in 11e, 11f, 12h, and 12f (as those would be the 8 bit versus the 16 and we have the 16).

So then - I would take the mame roms, and the USA version roms and burn those?

Last edited:
Back