What's new

supersega

Beginner
Reaction score
I am currently fixing a CPS2 A board here with a multitude of issues related to sound. I'll try to explain them the best I can, what I've tried so far, and what I plan to try soon. Just looking for any extra advice that may help, and hopefully turn this post into a repair log for anyone else with similar issues, because there's very little information on this combination of issues out there.

The JAMMA edge sound will only work if the speakers are plugged in after the CPS2 boots. However, at random there is no sound at all, and this typically lines up with the L channel of the RCA connector having no sound (makes sense as mono is driven off L channel). There will be static and crackling sometimes when this happens, but not all the time.

On the RCA side, the right channel has a lot of noise and is super quiet, but always works. On the left channel, it is perfect *sometimes*, but other times it will have no sound, with static and crackling, maybe 1 or 2 small fragments of sound coming through.

So far, I've tried replacing all the caps towards the L channel on the RCA connector, but that didn't change anything. Because the issues are intermittent, I also tried reflowing most of the components on the amp circuit with no luck. I also checked all the traces with a magnifying glass, didn't see any broken traces and the PCB looks new.

As far as what I plan to do, I want to try swapping the LM833 at UA10 with a new one and see if that changes anything. Once I get my good analog scope back (or some low-power wired headphones), I plan to follow along the circuit and see first where the R channel is dropping, then diagnose the weird stuff with the L channel / JAMMA edge. My bet for the L (and possibly R) side is bad caps somewhere on the amp circuitry, so if probing gets me nowhere I'll just recap the unit... which could also be the cause of the speakers working only if connected after boot?

But if that all fails, any ideas on what it might be? I was told to check the supercapacitor, but will that cause such odd issues?

Thanks in advance.

No one knows? Because it’s confusing me too, lol.

Today I finally got around to installing the LM833 that arrived Friday. After letting it sit for a while I powered it on before doing any work, and now the behavior is even weirder. There will be absolutely 0 sound at all, except for completely at random it will pop in for a few seconds if I disconnect and reconnect the JAMMA wired speaker…

The other part that’s confusing me is that I see the input into the LM833 at UA10 and it’s peaking and zeroing with the game… but replacing that LM833 didn’t change anything. I don’t see any output from the new LM833 (or the old one for that matter) except for those few brief seconds. I’ve replaced all the components after the LM833 and still have the same result. All the traces are good. VCC+ is 8.79V which is plenty. Didn’t check VCC- but it’s traces are fine… game plays fine with a different A board.

Any more ideas? Thinking supercap next, but again, don’t think that’ll fix anything.

Last edited:
Noticed today that the volume only goes to 34 and no higher. Hmm... does this mean that the TC9176 may be at fault? I'll try the supercap first I guess, then that chip, then normal caps. But any input is welcomed here... I'm so lost.

CPS2 A board has so many strange issues and I don't have time to investigate anymore.

CPS2 A board has so many strange issues and I don't have time to investigate anymore.

Very well then. This board is still acting odd after replacing the volume control chip and all the caps. I think next to replace is the DAC, as I know it’s not an issue with the circuitry that generates the sound, just the amplifier stage. If it were an issue, I don’t think it would make any noise at all.

I also checked a lot of grounds with no success. Will replace the DAC and reply back. Next is the Z80 (which is at least socketed).

No change on the DAC. Swapping out Z80s and seeing what happens, while also praying I don’t ruin one.

Couldn't find my chip puller so that'll have to wait until I can get another.

I'm about at the point to completely redo the sound section with all new ICs. So far I've replaced...
  • All the caps on the board including the supercap
  • LM833 at A10
  • TDA1543
  • TC9176P
With either worse or the same results... starting to go insane. I've also checked every single ground on every chip in the sound section, no broken traces...

Does anyone even know where else to start looking?

Z80 didn’t change anything… but I discovered something that’s so weird… wonder if anyone can make sense of this.

Marvel Super Heroes will have 0 audio on this A board, just static on right and buzzing on left. But it’ll work fine in another A board.

Dimahoo will have perfectly clear audio on the right channel, and super quiet but staticky audio on the left. Works perfectly in another A board.

The speakers driven by the amp on the CPS2 won’t work at all, but that may also be QSound settings now that I mention it….

EDIT: Dimahoo has full sound on the amp. Marvel Super Heroes has nothing.

So confused. Still probing.

Last edited:
So, easy thing to try though it may not work.

Reset the digital volume controller by holding down the vol+ button while booting.

Might be vol- I forget … try both!

So, easy thing to try though it may not work.

Reset the digital volume controller by holding down the vol+ button while booting.

Might be vol- I forget … try both!

Gave those a shot again! Still no luck on those.

But one thing I did notice is that the L channel is significantly higher coming off the NE5532, and it the resistor for the R side at R27 is at 1.516Kohm. The resistor for the L side is 1.499Kohm. I don’t think that’ll make a huuuuge difference, but I’m going to swap them out along with the NE5532. Fingers crossed that this works…

Back