What's new

mR_CaESaR

Champion
Reaction score
Thought I'd make a post here and reach out to see if anybody has had the same experience

I'm trying to fix a grey cps2 a and b board (rev 3) that will just boot into a blank screen (looks suicided to me).

LgTzh2ll.jpg

Things that have been done but all yield the same result:

• Voltage checks out on the jamma edge 5.00v and 11.98v
  • shorted EXC5
  • used working converted roms (AVP) as the original roms weren't on the board
  • re-burnt different converted roms (SSF2X) and confirmed operational on a CPS2 A+B Blue rev 7
  • jumpers confirmed (SOOS_SO_OSOSOS_SOSOSOSO_SOSOSOSO)
  • PAL G was used as the graphics roms were concatenated
  • re-sat every single eprom multiple times
  • installed my ds kit - still blank
  • took the cases off to ensure both boards are "fixed" together properly - still blank
  • tried installing razoola's rom 3 suicide checker but I couldn't get the "OK" screen, still blank
  • pronged each socket from each bank to ensure they had continuity with the other banks ie. bank 3 pin 1 matches bank 10 pin 1, bank 2 pin 1 matches bank 9 pin 1 etc..
  • checked for any visible corrosion and screwed up traces (nothing obvious to me, but I'm not
  • cleaned jamma edge and connectors with IPA
Unfortunately, I don't have any additional grey boards to try and eliminate which board might be the culprit, but to me it appears as though the program roms aren't being read therefore not loading properly.

I did momentarily get the game loading so I know 100% the converted roms work on this board set. The moment I turned it off to try on another cab, I received the same blank screen

uK14CbZl.jpg

Are there other sections I could prong against to confirm continuity? It appears as though the connectors aren't working properly - would anyone know which connector the program roms are tied to? I tried to find continuity between the connector and the program roms but I could only find what appears to be ground.

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what could be the issue? TIA

I had a similar issue on a single board cps2. The culprit on mine was the DL-1827 with loose pins. Pressing down on it would boot the game. As it is on the B-Board you can easily press down on it when you decase the b-board. Probably not your issue but easy enough to quickly test.

Just tried it pressing down on DL-1827 (and all the large chips). Unfortunately it didn't work :(

I had another attempt over the weekend with this and I primarily focused on the program rom area - sockets 3-10.

I desoldered all the IC Sockets and replaced sockets 3/4/5/6 (as those are the only roms I'm using for the AvP rom set)

Unfortunately, I still got a blank screen after replacing the IC sockets. Difference is, it's now a different coloured blank screen vs what I used to get (same screen with program roms or no program roms)

vWKH4rol.jpg

Also, when I tried using Razoola's suicide tester on socket 3, I got this screen instead of just a blank screen from before the IC socket replacement.

GQUV5p4l.jpg

I get the feeling this screen is a "good" thing, but right now, I'm definitely lost and out of ideas.

I'll continue to go through the board with a fine tooth comb, but I haven't been able to see any traces that are questionable. I've been speaking to xodoraP and he's getting me to jump one particular trace just in case even though there's continuity where the scratch appears to be.

If there's anybody out there that have any further ideas, I'm more than happy to entertain them.

I'm sure you have already seen this, but just in case
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...knL34eWvkaVA7-mJ8i6F27lmk/edit#gid=1029199072

My general thoughts are that the problem space is too big. There are no "known good" parts in this configuration so it's impossible to test if the hypothesised fix has worked.

Borrowing or buying a known good grey A+B set would be my next step here. At the rate prices are increasing you'll be able to sell it again in 2 months for a profit anyway...

Thanks. I have seen that spreadsheet, just couldn't find it for the troubleshooting on this board.

I've been trying to find a working set - just not too keen on buying at the same cost as a green/blue set (after all, those are the sets I have). I got this set for a decent price thinking it may have just been romms needing to be reburnt, but the gamble obviously hasn't paid off :(

I honestly think one of those customs is dead or has a bad trace. Unless you got some spare customs to replace a dead one...that board is probably scrap pile

Last edited:
Back