What's new

GeeDee

Professional
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question: is there a version of 19xx in one of these packs with autofire added in? I've read elsewhere that J version 951225 has it, but every version I've tried to boot from the "full" pack (all regions and alts/training modes) only has the two usual buttons in the input test; no extra autofire options in configuration either. Been playing this game a lot, so it'd definitely save my hand a little lol.

alphagriz

Beginner
Reaction score
I have attached the two parts that appear to have a graphics issue. The black box on the Ryu screen and the border around "winners dont use drugs". Both look like they are graphics issues. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

I get the same thing on my setup with the USA version of Super Turbo but not the Japanese one.

Haha totally man!

Yea @pfitz1982 if I put my brightness up that high I can see these "errors" as well.
Thing is they aren't "errors" caused by the Darksoft hardware (or actually errors at all hence the ").

Original boards will also behave this way IF you jack the F outa the brightness.
I recommend you run the color check from the CPS2 test menu and dial your shit in bro. :rolleyes:
cps2digi2_12.png

His black levels might be a bit high, but I don't think that's the whole story. Try the Japanese version and see if you don't get the glitch.

It never bothered me too much since the game plays fine, but I'd be curious to know what the real root issue is.

jassin000

Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
@alphagriz things like the "winners don't use drugs" screen only exist in the USA release (so no the JAPAN version hasn't got that PERIOD).
The tiles that make up this "drugs" text do NOT have 100% the same black values as the background layer displayed.
Most of the time this go's totally unnoticed, however if you turn the brightness up you can clearly see this (minor) color difference around the tiles edges.

ITS NOT A BUG! :P

Just for example you can see how tiles are packed here...
%28new_version%29_%28bosco%29_10_7_2020_3_07_38_PM.png

Take that "Namco" text, the black isn't a transparency so if its even slightly darker or lighter than a displayed background layer you'd notice with increased brightness.

Last edited:

alphagriz

Beginner
Reaction score
@alphagriz things like the "winners don't use drugs" screen only exist in the USA release (so no the JAPAN version hasn't got that PERIOD).
The tiles that make up this "drugs" text do NOT have 100% the same black values as the background layer displayed.
Most of the time this go's totally unnoticed, however if you turn the brightness up you can clearly see this (minor) color difference around the tiles edges.

ITS NOT A BUG! :P

Just for example you can see how tiles are packed here...
%28new_version%29_%28bosco%29_10_7_2020_3_07_38_PM.png

Take that "Namco" text, the black isn't a transparency so if its even slightly darker or lighter than a displayed background layer you'd notice with increased brightness.
@jassin000 I follow you. I didn't mean the "winners don't use drugs" screen, but the single tile/sprite on the attract screen next to Ryu being pure black when the adjacent ones are not.

I wasn't saying it was a bug in the multi either, just that it was interesting that the last time I checked, the Japanese version didn't do it.

jassin000

Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
the Japanese version didn't do it.
I haven't noticed, but I'm going to assume the reason why the Japan version hasn't got that mismatched tile has to do with the way the additional "winners don't" assets were patched in for the USA release.

rememberizer

Student
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question: is there a version of 19xx in one of these packs with autofire added in? I've read elsewhere that J version 951225 has it, but every version I've tried to boot from the "full" pack (all regions and alts/training modes) only has the two usual buttons in the input test; no extra autofire options in configuration either. Been playing this game a lot, so it'd definitely save my hand a little lol.
For real? There's a version with autofire? Would be great to have that!

xodaraP

Enlightened
Reaction score
I desuicided a 19xxj not that long ago and I don't remember it having autofire

Generally the Japanese versions are more difficult, I'd be surprised if that was the only version with autofire

GeeDee

Professional
Reaction score
For real? There's a version with autofire? Would be great to have that!
I desuicided a 19xxj not that long ago and I don't remember it having autofire

Generally the Japanese versions are more difficult, I'd be surprised if that was the only version with autofire
Not surprised at all; I'm fairly certain the other forum posts I was reading were referring to using MAME anyways, but the verbiage wasn't very clear, so I figured I would ask people who might be a little more knowledgable since I know some folks really live and die by shmups.

I was mostly asking around because of some of the posts in the shmups forums scoreboard thread for 19XX. Things like:

a4b7d9d4edca39d588ae3abbb0ffef19.png

79ca1d4585d3fccbe5c46ff44c01dcd3.png

Guess versions earlier than 951225 just have "better autofire" when using /emulated/ autofire remappings. JNX spitfires are "sold out and gone for good", and the last update on a new batch of RECO autofire pcbs was back in May...of 2019...and using anything made by retroelektronik doesn't give me the warmest fuzzy feeling, so options for this kinda thing are a liiiiittle scarce, to say the least lol.

jassin000

Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I had the RECO from @RGB it was a fantastic little device not just for autofire but button remapping and negatron (-5v) support.

l_oliveira

Professional
Reaction score
I have attached the two parts that appear to have a graphics issue. The black box on the Ryu screen and the border around "winners dont use drugs". Both look like they are graphics issues. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
That was just CAPCOM being incompetent. The color at those places are different from the background color and that causes the box appearance.
I changed the color of a black background detail on the Leilei scenario of Vampire Hunter: Darkstalker's Revenge to show the kind of incompetence CAPCOM was capable of. The artist never finished the dithering for these tiles around the moon, which are very noticeable/distracting if you pay attention to the scenario. It's on the worst possible spot at the drawing. These are MAME screenshots.

Attachments

• 0000.png
    0000.png
    29 KB · Views: 51
  • 0000_edited.png
    0000_edited.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 56

liperyu

Beginner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the full version of the Darksoft roms was added Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (Brazil 970519) and Ring of Destruction: Slammasters II (Brazil 940902)?

jassin000

Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the full version of the Darksoft roms was added
@SmokeMonster hasn't updated the package in a while that I'm aware of...
IF (I'm asking because IDK) these are new dumps (with in the past 6 months) no.

*Disclaimer* I only play USA and JPN versions.

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
Staff member
Legendary
Reaction score
Smokemonster retired so someone else would need to add them.

rtw

Champion
Reaction score

xlom

Student
Reaction score
Any change anyone is working one an Alpha 2 trainer? I didn't notice one in the pack. Something with infinite time, health and super similar to the ST trainer would be awesome