What's new
Still need to thoroughly test the board before shipping it back, but it seems that the culprit was two legs bent together and touching on a corner of the PPU.

Note that it’s normal for SIMM 1 & 2 to report NG when using the Darksoft BIOS and CD image. The game code is stored on those SIMMs and the code is modified to run without the factory encryption, changing the checksums that the diagnostics expect.

IMG_9350.jpegIMG_9347.jpegIMG_9356.jpegIMG_9360.jpegIMG_9359.jpeg

Note that it’s normal for SIMM 1 & 2 to report NG when using the Darksoft BIOS and CD image. The game code is stored on those SIMMs and the code is modified to run without the factory encryption, changing the checksums that the diagnostics expect.
Exactly that.

Before trying to replace the sprite RAM chip, I forgot to mention it's extremely common for the pins of the GPU/VDP (that big ass QFP304 chip) to come loose. Check that first, especially the pins in the corner closest to the sprite RAM.
It was exactly what this big fake primate guy said. Good knowledge there.

I’ve also had several with bent pins on the PPU shorting, as well as loose pins on the customs around the cartridge slot. Very very common problem and probably The first thing I’d check if I had a board presenting garbage at boot (presumption is the cart is working of course).

Back