What's new
Hey everyone, I was doing trouble shooting on my board and wanted to share my findings in case it may be helpful.
I have tested the SIMMs, CD drive, and cart. All are working fine on my known working CPS3 PCB.
Here's what a little strange, I have 2 carts, 3rd Strike and New Generation, both have been DS modded, both work without issue on my good PCB. When I plug in the New Generation cart on the bad PCB, I get the scrambled jail bars, when I try the 3rd Strike cart I get no signal (not just a black screen, it's no signal). This is completely consistent, the carts were thoroughly cleaned and everytime I got the same results from each cart.
I'm not sure if this will help anyone else trouble shooting a similar issue, but I wanted to share just in case.

Hey everyone, I was doing trouble shooting on my board and wanted to share my findings in case it may be helpful.
I have tested the SIMMs, CD drive, and cart. All are working fine on my known working CPS3 PCB.
Here's what a little strange, I have 2 carts, 3rd Strike and New Generation, both have been DS modded, both work without issue on my good PCB. When I plug in the New Generation cart on the bad PCB, I get the scrambled jail bars, when I try the 3rd Strike cart I get no signal (not just a black screen, it's no signal). This is completely consistent, the carts were thoroughly cleaned and everytime I got the same results from each cart.
I'm not sure if this will help anyone else trouble shooting a similar issue, but I wanted to share just in case.
Same revision MB for the good and bad one?

Can you also open those carts to see what revision they are A,B,C,D?

Same revision MB for the good and bad one?

Can you also open those carts to see what revision they are A,B,C,D?
Different mobos, working is a rev 4, busted is a rev 3 with the white jumper wire on the bottom. Not sure about the carts, I'll have to see if I have the bit to open them up.

Different mobos, working is a rev 4, busted is a rev 3 with the white jumper wire on the bottom. Not sure about the carts, I'll have to see if I have the bit to open them up.
Cool, just wondering if its the carts revisons that cause the different conditions on the bad mb. Also would like to know if they have custom or standard sh2 please.

When I plug in the New Generation cart on the bad PCB, I get the scrambled jail bars, when I try the 3rd Strike cart I get no signal (not just a black screen, it's no signal). This is completely consistent, the carts were thoroughly cleaned and everytime I got the same results from each cart.
I’m wondering if your PPU (DL-2729 chip) on this other board might have some of its pins not making full contact, or if the PPU itself is failing. I would check the traces around the chip and see if you notice anything not making good contact/any pins bumping against each other.

For what it’s worth, I once had a CPS3 motherboard that began to exhibit jailbars at issues while the game I ran was in operation (!) & I found that the chip was corroding from underneath. One of my games even froze in place one time during an attract mode! (Scary as f to see this happen with a CPS3 system). That board stopped working properly after it eventually also exhibited no sync signal when I would power it up with an older 3S cart I had.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if your PPU (DL-2729 chip) on this other board might have some of its pins not making full contact, or if the PPU itself is failing. I would check the traces around the chip and see if you notice anything not making good contact/any pins bumping against each other.

For what it’s worth, I once had a CPS3 motherboard that began to exhibit jailbars at issues while the game I ran was in operation (!) & I found that the chip was corroding from underneath. One of my games even froze in place one time during an attract mode! (Scary as f to see this happen with a CPS3 system). That board stopped working properly after it eventually also exhibited no sync signal when I would power it up with an older 3S cart I had.
Definitely looks like that could be an issue, thanks for the tip!

20210826_092348.jpg

@jpinball80 did you ever get this working? I was in the middle of writing to my simms when it froze and now all I get is the same garbage screen, about at my wit's end with this thing....

i Just bought a full cps3 setup and im having the exact same issue, jailbars. Seller claimed it was darksoft modded cart and i havent gotten one boot in 100 tries. I cleaned the cart and connector with alchohol and still nothing.

@YerpS3s Post a pic... Garbage is different than jail bars.
The cart might actually be ok, and even if its not a new cart would be cheaper than another motherboard.
I fear you may have a faulty motherboard. :(

Hey it booted! Thats good... That sound is pretty bad feedback tho.
How is the cab wired? If you have more than one DC power supply inside the cab the DC grounds should be connected/together (never connect earth ground to DC ground).

Do you notice any difference when connecting audio via RCA vs JAMMA edge?

Back